We're on our first trip out of the country with my Storm, and finding it both indispensable and frustrating. I thought I'd share some of the things we learned for those of you planning your vacations.

The first thing we learned is be sure your Storm and SIM card are talking to each other before you go. Mine wasn't working and I ended up with VZ replacing the phone, luckily before I left home. If Options-Advanced Options-SIM Card doesn't give you a serial number , get it looked at.

It's well worth the cost to get the VZ unlimited global plan at $69/mo. Call them up and tell them what date you want it to start. When you;re done with it. Call again to turn it off. You'll use it a lot.

We are using Garmin Mobile European version, and it's OK but not as reliable as VZ Nav. It has worked great in the countryside but failed in Toulouse, Genoa, and most spectacularly in Florence. I think it feeds the device updates faster than it can take them. It forgets where it is, suddenly commands "make a U turn!" And the voice doesn't agree with the map. Sometimes it stops repainting the screen so you see little pieces of the map.

In each city Garmin has failed when we needed it the most. Fortunately Google Maps works very well in this situation, so you can falk back on it if you're ready.

Weatherbug allows you to select cities in Europe, but we have found the info in Italy to be totally bogus. It forecasts rain every day. While sitting in a sidewalk cafe on a gorgeous sunny day Weatherbug tells us it's raining. So forget that.

Email and the web work just like normal and seem just as fast. Facebook works great for posting photos. In .148 and 1.6 it no longer has the problem with posting photos sideways. Viigo also works great. Quickpull scheduling tries to run in the middle of the day even though the device is set to European time so that isn't helpful

VZ sends you emails each time you enter another country, to tell you how to make calls. So far in 3 countries the instructions haven't worked once. Basically what does work is to dial the number as you would on a land line. Once you figure that out, it works great.

All in all you'll find your Storm indispensable but still not as polished as you might like. We learned to live with the quirks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 01:38 PM
    Will be heading next month to Italy/France/Spain and driving, so this helps immensely with what to expect.
    07-13-09 03:55 PM
    Thanks for this! I'm heading to France and Italy next week and plan to use Google Maps for navigation.

Good to know that calling is easy--when sending texts (to other American numbers), can you just select them from your contact list, or do you need to retype them with country codes et al.?
    07-13-09 04:01 PM
    Thanks for this! I'm heading to France and Italy next week and plan to use Google Maps for navigation.

Good to know that calling is easy--when sending texts (to other American numbers), can you just select them from your contact list, or do you need to retype them with country codes et al.?
    All you have to do is select them from your contact list. I've found out while over here that the 9530 automatically includes the US international code for all numbers dialed, so when I wanted to send a text using a Local SIM card, I had to make sure I included the French international code before the number, or else it would try dialing a French number using the American international code. Needless to say, I had many "Unable to deliver" messages until I figured that one out. (Assuming you go the local SIM route, anyone calling you from a local phone would just have to dial your local number without the international code.)

Also, for anyone you plan on texting on Verizon, I'd recommend setting up a gmail account or using an e-mail that pushes the e-mails through instantly and texting the person at their number like this: [email protected]

Assuming you purchased the international data plan, that'll save you a lot of money since it costs something like $0.50 per text sent. Also, whoever you text can reply to your e-mail address saving you the $0.05 to receive a message, and it'll come through instantly in your email.

In response to the original post, I had planned on just using the BB Maps while over here for the two months. Ultimately though, I found it easier to just use a paper map for whatever city I happen to be in. I'm going to school here and only traveling on weekends, so one or two days referring to a paper map isn't bad. Plus, I'm using public transportation, no car, so turn by turn directions weren't really necessary for me. The problem with BB Maps is it takes forever to locate a satellite over here.
    07-14-09 06:12 AM
    Thanks for sharing. I was just wondering about the text messages as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 10:03 AM
    If you want to text American lines just make an account on AIM and add the numbers like this:
    +13101234567
    310 is area code
    1234567 is the number

Then IM them and it goes as data for you and goes to there phone in the US
    07-17-09 06:37 PM
    If you want to text American lines just make an account on AIM and add the numbers like this:
    +13101234567
    310 is area code
    1234567 is the number

Then IM them and it goes as data for you and goes to there phone in the US
    Are you certain? I was always under the impression that every AIM message sent or received was treated like a text message as far as billing goes.
    07-17-09 09:07 PM
    Are you certain? I was always under the impression that every AIM message sent or received was treated like a text message as far as billing goes.
    Data
    10chars
    07-18-09 04:40 PM
    Okay, I tried the email to text trick mentioned. From my PC it's simple, you just email to a verizon cell number followed by @vtext.com and it works perfectly but I can't do it from any of my 3 email accounts on my Storm. Any suggestions? A verizon tech said he didn't think it could be done unless I had a Storm 2 and was linked via wifi. Does this sound right? I plan on getting the $64.00 data plan which does not include texting. Receiving a text is only 5 cent but sending is 50 cents. If it is possible to email a text using data, the text sent would be free. Any ideas?
    04-05-10 05:50 PM
    Thanks to share your experiences.
    04-06-10 06:15 AM
    Okay, I tried the email to text trick mentioned. From my PC it's simple, you just email to a verizon cell number followed by @vtext.com and it works perfectly but I can't do it from any of my 3 email accounts on my Storm. Any suggestions? A verizon tech said he didn't think it could be done unless I had a Storm 2 and was linked via wifi. Does this sound right? I plan on getting the $64.00 data plan which does not include texting. Receiving a text is only 5 cent but sending is 50 cents. If it is possible to email a text using data, the text sent would be free. Any ideas?
    you can text by doing 1+ the number @vtext.com. It must be the ten digit number.
    04-06-10 08:13 AM
    Used bb 9530 VZW in Europa last summer travel to 6 countries had international plan. the storm needs to be unlocked and sim card programed. used Google(free) maps for Navi work like a charm. making calls was way to much $$$ example if your calling Rome and in Rome long distance charges apply
    texting wasn't working very well some go thru some didn't. the Tethering option isn't available. over all my company payed 287 USD for the month.
    04-08-10 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD