hey guys/girls. ill be leaving for Japan for about two months and I wanted to take my stormy with me, but I need a clarification on how I can use this phone overseas without paying a ridiculous overseas charge from verizon. preferably maybe using another sim card in Japan, but I need more clarification.

I know I need to unlock the phone first, anyone want to tell me whats the best way? I don't mind paying a little to unlock it either. And how can I get this sim card switch to work. do I get it before leaving or when I get there?
    04-12-10 02:30 PM
    From the sound of it when you unlock it when you get to japan see if you can get on a cell plan there for a few months and get a sim card from them and plug it into your Storm2. That should work. Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.
    04-12-10 02:47 PM
    last year i went overseas and when arrived i learned my storm1 is a world phone (as storm2 also of course), i called up verizon from a landline with a cheap way to call their 1-800, i went to technical support and a nice lady who knew the drill guided me thru the unlocking process, i then went out, bought a local sim and went my way using it (of course, they'll tell you to change your phone setting to gsm etc). i got phone calls and txts. this year before i go im trying to get the storm2 so that i can utilize the wifi and be able to check pushed email etc.

btw, it was free to unlock, and they were helpful in directing me how to do that.

hope that helps.
    04-12-10 04:48 PM
    hey guys/girls. ill be leaving for Japan for about two months and I wanted to take my stormy with me, but I need a clarification on how I can use this phone overseas without paying a ridiculous overseas charge from verizon. preferably maybe using another sim card in Japan, but I need more clarification.

I know I need to unlock the phone first, anyone want to tell me whats the best way? I don't mind paying a little to unlock it either. And how can I get this sim card switch to work. do I get it before leaving or when I get there?
    Before paying any 3rd party unlocker like ourselves, you should call Verizon and ask them for the code. They should give it to you for free if you have an account in good standing with them.

If they don't let us know and we will be more than happy to help.
    04-12-10 11:13 PM
    VZW will unlock it for you. But not if your a new customer. But if you have been with them for a while, they will do it for you. I told them my work gave me a work SIM card for work calls and I need to use that for work or else I don't get my money back and on personal time, I'll use the VZW global plan. They said OK and walked me thought it and unlocked it within 10 mins from the time I called them till I hit end.
    04-12-10 11:23 PM
    Japan's cellular networks are different than in other countries. First of all, there are no prepaid sim cards. A few years ago they passed a law that made them illegal to stem the spread of crime. Second, there is no traditional GSM network, only 3G. If you have a compatible 3G telphone that uses a sim card, you may only be able to use it for sending and receiving text messages if you RENT a Japanese SIM card at an airport.

I would do some more research on frequencies etc. to make sure that you can use your BB if you sign up for a monthly plan.
    04-13-10 03:13 PM
    When I went to Japan, I rented a SIM from Japanese Cell Phone Rental from Narita Airport, Tokyo. The SIM was free, but it only does voice calls - which was all I was interested in.

They have a counter at narita airport, which is where I collected the SIM from. Your phone will need to work on the 2100 MHz network, but they will let you try the SIM in the phone before you order.
    04-22-10 04:55 AM
    Sorry, I didn't write that link like that - the forum does something clever. The website is mobalnarita.com.
    04-22-10 04:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD