The Storm2 is one of the phones I'd like to add to my collection, and I was wondering what it would be like to use today. BIS isn't an issue, I get it free with my contract, I'm just wondering how useful the device could be as a daily driver (for fun, not seriously really). Do any of the day-to-day social media apps like Twitter and Facebook work anymore? How is the browser for using the web versions of these?

I remember the boss I had in 2009 was a big BlackBerry fan (being a Canadian expat and all), and he was so stoked when he got his Storm2.
    11-10-16 02:01 AM
    I had a 9860 storm and I'm thinking you would find the CPU and GPU rather slow in daily use nowadays as the internet requires rather more traffic now. Less than back when the Storm series were current.
    11-10-16 04:01 AM
    I am using both a Curve (with BIS) and a Bold (without). I also had a Torch, but it sucked.

Twitter and Facebook work OK, less the newest gimmicks (new "reactions" in FB won't show as likes, f.i.)
    The Facebook Messenger works too, you can still download it.
    Just DON'T update the Facebook app and you'll be fine. (it's not an update, it's a shortcut)

starting 01/01/2017 Whatsapp will probably work on a "best effort" basis, ... until it won't.
    There's still WeChat, LINE and your power to persuate your friends to go through the BBM installation.

I find Opera better than the stock browser. (On the Bold, on the Curve surfing is a pain)
    11-11-16 08:38 AM
    I am using both a Curve (with BIS) and a Bold (without). I also had a Torch, but it sucked.

Twitter and Facebook work OK, less the newest gimmicks (new "reactions" in FB won't show as likes, f.i.)
    The Facebook Messenger works too, you can still download it.
    Just DON'T update the Facebook app and you'll be fine. (it's not an update, it's a shortcut)

starting 01/01/2017 Whatsapp will probably work on a "best effort" basis, ... until it won't.
    There's still WeChat, LINE and your power to persuate your friends to go through the BBM installation.

I find Opera better than the stock browser. (On the Bold, on the Curve surfing is a pain)
    You can re-download an older version of Facebook from theiexplorers.com if you need to.

Some users have reported that you can't sign in to a new installation of Whatsapp anymore. That's what happened with Viber as well.

I have a Storm2, and I'll turn it on later and see if anything that I used to use has stopped working in the last few months.
    11-11-16 11:46 AM
    Get one to play with and add to your collection, but you won't enjoy using it as a daily driver IMO.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 12:28 PM
    I had a 9860 storm and I'm thinking you would find the CPU and GPU rather slow in daily use nowadays as the internet requires rather more traffic now. Less than back when the Storm series were current.
    9860 was called Torch, not Storm.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 01:14 PM
    Well, everything seems to work well enough on my Storm2 except the battery. The apps still function, though the browser is painfully slow, as should be expected. Opera Mini is good, though, as is the CrackBerry app, and the AP news app.

I don't have much else on the device other than the in-built apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    11-13-16 07:36 PM
    I think I might get it today, so I should report back soon. I used an iPhone 3GS from 2011 to 2014, it was old when I got it and was pretty well obsolete by the time I stopped using it. I got used to having a slow browser and a poor app experience, so the Storm2 may not bother me that much.

Posted via my Q10
    11-13-16 11:28 PM
    I think I might get it today, so I should report back soon. I used an iPhone 3GS from 2011 to 2014, it was old when I got it and was pretty well obsolete by the time I stopped using it. I got used to having a slow browser and a poor app experience, so the Storm2 may not bother me that much.

Posted via my Q10
    The 3GS browser and app experience were the step up.
    11-13-16 11:32 PM
    Reading this got me curious about dusting off my Storm2 too !
    Unfortunately , won't charge and is stuck in a loop.
    Maybe time to order new battery .
    ( still original )
    11-14-16 12:06 AM
    The 3GS browser and app experience were the step up.
    This is true.
    11-14-16 12:09 AM
    Lol yeah, I know it is. I just meant I'm used to using obsolete devices. If I was to seriously consider using a BBOS device, it would be a 9900. It's the most usable.

Posted via my Q10
    11-14-16 12:28 AM
    9860 was called Torch, not Storm.

Posted via CB10
    Just saying that if my 9860 Torch was feeling slow, then a Storm 2 would also seem slow as it's a little older than the 9860 :-)
    11-14-16 02:59 AM
    Lol yeah, I know it is. I just meant I'm used to using obsolete devices.
    Your avatar kinda gave that away.
    11-14-16 04:45 AM
    So the phone just arrived, and everything seems okay with it. I'm trying to update the OS, but even though I've downloaded and installed the latest update package from the BB site, BBDS seems to think the phone is already up-to-date, except it's not. What gives?
    11-14-16 08:24 AM
    So the phone just arrived, and everything seems okay with it. I'm trying to update the OS, but even though I've downloaded and installed the latest update package from the BB site, BBDS seems to think the phone is already up-to-date, except it's not. What gives?
    Deleted vendor.xml?

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.crackb...oid-blackberry
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-14-16 08:57 AM
    That's it, thanks!
    11-14-16 09:10 AM
    Any update on this? The original storm was my first ever smartphone. Unfortunately I had to trade it in for a Curve because it just didn't function properly. I'd love to play around with a Storm 2.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 12:12 PM
    Miss my storm 2 so much.

Posted via CB Powered by Leap
    02-12-17 10:36 AM
    Could this be the "9520/50: Resurgence of Popularity!" thread?

I tried to run my Storm 2 several months ago to get some old photos and look at some old texts, but the battery was bloated and unusable. Almost bought a new battery for it.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 02-12-17 at 03:49 PM.
    02-12-17 03:27 PM
    I picked up a 9550 yesterday. I've had a Curve in my junk drawer for years, but it's been a long time since I really played around bbos.

Subscribing to this thread for further updates.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 07:35 AM
    Awww yeah!
    03-09-17 08:19 AM
    Hahahahaha that was my first BlackBerry phone. I hated it! Effing SurePress technology. So ridiculous. Nearly turned me off BlackBerry entirely. Good thing I kept the faith and moved on to the Bold 9870. That led me to my favorite phone, the Z10. It's a shame that BlackBerry is now dead. The future iterations of the Z10 (Z50 or whatever) could have been awesome. RIP BlackBerry 10. Thanks for the memories.
    03-09-17 05:32 PM
    I miss my 9550. I know people hated SurePress but I thought it was awesome. It was so different. I guess that just shows how loyal (blind) I'm to BlackBerry. What was considered their worst phone, the first domino in their downfall, their fall from industry leader I loved to pieces. Lol.
    03-09-17 06:43 PM
    As said before, I think sure press could have been a winner if they stuck through with it. Maybe when BlackBerry had all that money they could have bought the patents from that company Tactus that made the touch screen buttons.
    03-09-17 07:52 PM
31 12