Hello everyone. I have recently received a brand new Storm 2, and was interested in unlocking the phone to use on the AT&T network. I have done a lot of browsing through the forum and have come across numerous individuals who have had one problem or another with their unlocked phones. These issues appear to include, but are not limited to, to internet usage and MMS messaging.

So I guess my question is, if you unlock the phone via an unlock code, is there a way to get these features back onto the phone? Or are the majority of people out there with unlocked phones capable of accessing their internet and messaging each other? It seems like several people have been having issues just making and receiving calls.
    12-09-09 10:46 AM
    Are people also having a problem with the service books? I have read in a few threads that people have been losing their service books.
    12-09-09 11:09 AM
    Storm 9530 is a bit easier to set-up, but the Storm 2 9550's take a bit of tinkering to get them to work. It's either hit or miss.
    12-09-09 09:27 PM
    I am pretty sure that the problem is the service books. I have no experience unlocking phones and using them on other networks, but I am sure that it can be done without any problems.
    12-09-09 09:40 PM
    Its always the service books but that isn't as easy as it sounds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 09:41 PM
    Do you have to reload them every time your phone is turned off? Or is this only during battery pulls?
    12-10-09 02:29 AM
    Hello everyone. I have recently received a brand new Storm 2, and was interested in unlocking the phone to use on the AT&T network. I have done a lot of browsing through the forum and have come across numerous individuals who have had one problem or another with their unlocked phones. These issues appear to include, but are not limited to, to internet usage and MMS messaging.

So I guess my question is, if you unlock the phone via an unlock code, is there a way to get these features back onto the phone? Or are the majority of people out there with unlocked phones capable of accessing their internet and messaging each other? It seems like several people have been having issues just making and receiving calls.
    Unlocked 9550 is not doing too well in GSM networks. Voice loss/call drops are frequent and this renders the phone virtually useless. Better option would be to use 9520 unlocked in a GSM network. Although I must admit, somehow with the passage of time the problem of dropped calls has subsided a lot for me personally, but it ain't over.
    12-10-09 03:28 AM
    Unlocked 9550 is not doing too well in GSM networks. Voice loss/call drops are frequent and this renders the phone virtually useless. Better option would be to use 9520 unlocked in a GSM network. Although I must admit, somehow with the passage of time the problem of dropped calls has subsided a lot for me personally, but it ain't over.
    The hardware on the 9550 and 9520 are exactly the same so I'm not sure why a 9520 would do better on a GSM network?

I'm currently running a 9550 on Rogers (GSM) and have not have any issues.
    12-10-09 02:38 PM
    Is it perhaps a problem with the current OS on the phone?
    12-10-09 02:48 PM
    The hardware on the 9550 and 9520 are exactly the same so I'm not sure why a 9520 would do better on a GSM network?

I'm currently running a 9550 on Rogers (GSM) and have not have any issues.
    So how do we get the service books for AT&T? for those of us that are using 9550's...
    06-16-10 04:30 PM
    So how do we get the service books for AT&T? for those of us that are using 9550's...
    Try this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-107154/

Or here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/t-...0/#post5115267

Or here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/do...3/#post5142647

Search box is a very powerful tool
    06-16-10 04:38 PM
    Is it perhaps a problem with the current OS on the phone?
    besides T-Mobile's separate issue, service books are the only real issue. My phone works great except I don't bother reloading service books after every reboot, so I don't have MMS. Most streaming Apps will break your data. The streams will still work fine, but nothing else data related will come in until you stop the streaming App. Other than that, my Storm 2 works excellent on ATT.

I guess you have to decide if you can deal with those issues and deal with EDGE speeds when you aren't around Wifi.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-16-10 at 05:04 PM.
    06-16-10 05:01 PM
    So can anyone explain why a 9520 would work better on ATT? Perhaps the OS might be tweaked better for GSM, but I never has signal issues on my 9550. It's still not going to fix the MMS or streaming issues. To me, it seems like the same experience, but costs $100 more. Plus you would have to deal with DRM vs non DRM OS's.
    06-16-10 05:04 PM
    Here is a very easy guide to follow I have been using an unlocked 9550 on ATT for some time, and I do not reload my service books after each reboot, the only issue I had was with email and I called ATT tech support and they took care of it for me in 5 mins. Mine runs fine on EDGE 2.5 H network no dropped calls but voice quality is less than 3G but this is to be expected. And the net is a tad bit slower but 3G is my area is a farce so I don't mind the 2G. Just follow this guide it works well.
    06-16-10 07:51 PM
    The only issue is the EDGE vs 3G. Makes streaming pretty unusable. Otherwise AT&T works fine, plus I switch back and forth between AT&T and Page Plus. 2 numbers on one phone!
    06-17-10 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD