I got my Blackberry Storm unlocked yesterday by calling the verizon rep. He help guide me unlock my strom. Now, I'm traveling to the Philippines next week and I want to be able to use my phone. I tried to put in a Philippine Smart Sim that I still have right now to the unlock storm but Verizon is still active? Is that because I'm still here in the US? I just want to make sure that the foreign sim will work in the Philippines and I wont get charged for roaming fee.

Do I have to change any settings when I put in the foreign sim?

Thanks.
    02-03-09 07:55 PM
    Change your network to GSM. Does your SIM carrier have roaming agreements here in the US?
    02-03-09 08:00 PM
    Change your network to GSM. Does your SIM carrier have roaming agreements here in the US?
    I have the pre-paid sim card so I don't have to pay any monthly bills. When I tried it today my connection still says Verizon Wireless. Is that right? Cause I don't want to get charged by roaming when I'm there.

I'll try to change it to GSM. Thanks.
    02-03-09 08:03 PM
    IIRC, the default for the network setting is Global, and in the US, the Storm prioritizes CMDA (Verizon) over GSM. You have to manually change it to GSM for the Storm to chose GSM over CDMA.

If your Storm is unlocked and your network is set to GSM, then you'll be using your SIM card and connecting via GSM.
    02-03-09 09:11 PM
    As long as it is set on GSM it connects via whatever SIM is in there. I always do it abroad and you shouldn'y have any problem at all.
    02-04-09 09:39 AM
    Got it! Thanks guys!
    02-04-09 06:57 PM
    As long as it is set on GSM it connects via whatever SIM is in there. I always do it abroad and you shouldn'y have any problem at all.
    ok may sound silly but still curious. I have unlocked my storm about 4 weeks ago. i have been in Dubai and purchased prepaid sim to work while overseas. everything works great. I am going home thursday and wanna know what i do to get back onto VW network. I want my BBM and data plans just to go back to normal. do i just take sim out and restart BB? then when i travel again i just re-insert sim and switch back to GSM? Hope u can help thanks much..

Ports
    02-15-09 12:22 PM
    I got my Blackberry Storm unlocked yesterday by calling the verizon rep. He help guide me unlock my strom. Now, I'm traveling to the Philippines next week and I want to be able to use my phone. I tried to put in a Philippine Smart Sim that I still have right now to the unlock storm but Verizon is still active? Is that because I'm still here in the US? I just want to make sure that the foreign sim will work in the Philippines and I wont get charged for roaming fee.

Do I have to change any settings when I put in the foreign sim?

Thanks.
    How did it work? I will be taking my storm to the Philippines and am hoping to learn from your (or anyone's) experience with Smart and/or Globe...Thanks!!

David
    04-02-09 12:11 PM
    i just got my storm unlocked specifically for the Philippines.. with the SMART sim card too..

let me know how it goes, as far as I know when I inserted an ATT sim card while only on GSM, I got connected to customer service when i tried to make a phone call with it.. was this suppose to happen? how do i know the unlock worked?

thanks ^__^
    04-02-09 02:31 PM
    I unlocked my storm and im using a mexican sim card foro telcel i can receive calls and text but can't make them am I missing something here am I supposed to do something else to get it to work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 02:53 PM
    I unlocked my storm and im using a mexican sim card foro telcel i can receive calls and text but can't make them am I missing something here am I supposed to do something else to get it to work
    Have you tried dialing the full phone number including the + symbol? Generally required with international SIM's.

+12345678900
    04-02-09 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD