i would really appreciate if some computer savy people could help me out
    "one of the devices connected to computer has malfunctioned and windows not recognize it" i already tried to troubleshoot it and it says device unknown. i deleted the drivers and device manager and reinstalled them still nothing. it worked when i first connected and reloaded my stuff from my old pearl then i might have forgot to eject it or something. then i started to get this message. i was able to connect the phone and everything on my desktop computer but i need it to be connected to my laptop bc thats where i need it the most. i think this happened when i got my pearl and i couldnt connect anything to laptop (phone, printer, etc) then it mysteriously started working again months later. thanks a lot guys i really appreciate everything ive read and learned from this forum.
    -thorg
    11-30-08 07:47 PM
    i would really appreciate if some computer savy people could help me out
    "one of the devices connected to computer has malfunctioned and windows not recognize it" i already tried to troubleshoot it and it says device unknown. i deleted the drivers and device manager and reinstalled them still nothing. it worked when i first connected and reloaded my stuff from my old pearl then i might have forgot to eject it or something. then i started to get this message. i was able to connect the phone and everything on my desktop computer but i need it to be connected to my laptop bc thats where i need it the most. i think this happened when i got my pearl and i couldnt connect anything to laptop (phone, printer, etc) then it mysteriously started working again months later. thanks a lot guys i really appreciate everything ive read and learned from this forum.
    -thorg
    I don't have an answer, but I sure hope someone chimes in. Mine has started doing this yesterday, and I'm baffled. I'm hardly a computer newbie, and I cannot get this to work regardless what I try. I've uninstalled the DM software, the USB drivers, reinstalled everything, erased the updates on the HDD that were downloaded from the BB site and tried the software on the original CD, downloaded updates directly from the BB site and tried them.

I even put it in Media mode from the options screens to see if I can see it as a regular USB drive. Nothing works. Exactly the same behavior on both my Storm ad my wife's storm, so I doubt it's hardware specific to both phones simultaneously. My phone has a boatload of 'stuff' and my wife's phone is stock out of the box.

Anyone got any ideas? At this point all I can think of is buy a new computer, which isn't an option right now.

Michael
    04-18-09 10:29 AM

Anyone got any ideas? At this point all I can think of is buy a new computer, which isn't an option right now.

Michael
    Things you could try that are not as drastic as buying a new PC....

1. uninstall the USB root hubs on your pc and reboot (it should re install them fresh)
    2. reload your computers OS.
    04-18-09 11:03 AM
    You could also try uninstalling DM and reinstalling a different version of it. That has worked for me in the past.
    04-18-09 11:05 AM
    OK, I've got this figured out. I have two cables; one works and one fails. So it's hardware.

First, I am pretty sure I did *NOT* have any of these oddball USB cables except the ones which came I the two storm boxes. But I do have two cables and two Storms. And one cable has the little Blackberry emblem on the micro-end while one of them does not have the logo. (I never noticed this until today, frankly.) But both cables came in a Blackberry box, not something I have third party.

I can say that I am certain I have always used the cable *WITH* the Blackberry emblem to connect and sync before, but just by accident. Yesterday I used the second cable only because I'm out of town and the first cable was in a different computer bag out in the car.

After reading this thread I decided to go dig out the cable I knew worked previously. And it's working like a champ.

So, first, if there is a "malfunction" and an unrecognized USB device, I would suspect the USB cable. The connectors on the phone seem to be well made an unlikely to be easily damaged. I suspect the 'generic' cable I have was an 'equivalent' supplied by the factory during the packaging that isn't truly equivalent quality. Visual examination of the defective cable doesn't show any damage, and I'm not in a position to ring it out electrically to see if I can find anything.

The cable appears to be simply a straight wired passive device. I do not think there is any active electronics in the assembly. But that might not be true. If anyone knows specific details it would be interesting to find out.

Michael
    04-18-09 11:10 AM

1. uninstall the USB root hubs on your pc and reboot (it should re install them fresh)
    I did find the problem, as posted a minute ago.

#1 I had already tried.

As far as reloading the OS on the computer goes, I'd buy a new computer before I'd spend the time required to get a business tool back into the shape it needs to be for me to work on the road. I can roll down to the local Staples or Office Depot and get a computer in 30 minutes, but I'd have to go back into the office a thousand miles away to get everything successfully reconfigured so I can work.

If RIM wants people like me to buy these phones, reloading the OS at the drop of a hat is *NOT* a choice.

What I fail to understand is why the change from the connector on the Curve. That one is a standard mini-usb and solid as a rock. I never have any trouble with it; never had any trouble just grabbing a cable from someone to use if I found myself coming up short; and you can charge the phone with a Garman cable. This connector change obviously made sense to the engineering group that decided to change it, but the reasoning is obscure to me.

MB
    04-18-09 11:32 AM
    Check out the help menu *connections, follow instructions to stop running anti-virus/spyware. Worked for me, hope that helps.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 11:33 AM
    I got my Storm and I can't get it to get to the DM. It shows it as "disconnected". I uninstalled and reinstalled every thing. When I connect the USP I get a message that it might not work and a "selection" what ap to open with. No option to look for aps, and BB DM is not an option so I chose to do nothing. The Storm logo shows up in the task bar and so it's there but not connecting to the DM... Help!!
    04-18-09 11:40 AM
    Guys,

all your suggestions are great, but for those newbies with *software* issues, there are simpler solutions...

If it worked before and doesnt work now, in 99% of cases, a simple system restore will usually fix it

For those who dont know how to do it, open Google, type "How to do a system restore" and choose the first one that comes up

G'luck!

volleyman
    04-18-09 11:56 AM
    I had the same problem a few days ago, and came to find out that the USB port was dirty and was dusty, check the connections to make sure there is'nt any foreign debris or dust around the port.
    04-18-09 11:58 AM
    If you're using vista, start menu, search, device manager, usb devices (not exactly what it says, don't have it in front of me), go to the first USB root hub, open the properties screen, click on power management and make sure the option to allow the computer to turn off the power to that usb is UNCHECKED. repeat this process for each usb root hub, restart your computer and try again.

This is also a thread in the tips and tricks section I believe.
    04-18-09 12:23 PM
    I would make sure everything from the USB hub has been deleted and also, there might be something hovering around in the registry...
    04-18-09 12:36 PM

I was reaching the point of getting a new computer on whcich to install my BB. Then this reply came up.

I did step #1 by going to the Device Manager from the Control Panel and uninstalled the USB port. It was easy to find as Windows 7 showed it for me as to which hub to delete.

I then disconnected the BB and reconnected and tah dah a reload of a driver came up.

So far so good. A footnote. I uninstalled my antivirus program. I will have to reinstall very soon. Not good w/o it.

Good luck to all.
    10-31-09 07:47 PM
    I have had an ongoing issue that is pretty much exactly like this. I have a HP dv4-1220us originally running vista home premium 64 bit. I also have a pc running windows vista ultimate 32 bit. My phone is a BB 8220. I had the phone set up on both the pc and laptop for modem tether and it worked fine on both. I recently upgraded the laptop from the vista home premium to windows 7 home premium. Doing some compatibility testing, I tested the phone by hooking it up to the laptop and received a device not recognized. The logical answer @ this point is either to find a work around or go back to vista right? wrong. I plugged the phone up to my pc to load some stuff on my memory card and now I also get a device not recognized. I thought I had found a fix as I noticed that when you install DM 4.6 or 5.01 under windows 7, it does not by default load a driver file to C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers. IT will store the RimUSBnt file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB drivers. I had copied this file over to the \system32\drivers folder and it worked for one try and then after you disconnect and reconnect plug and play does not recognize it even if you manually install the driver. I also have used several different cords, etc. with not luck. I am pretty much convinced this is something to do with a sync between the BB and Windows 7. My port is not damaged, but as a contingency I am going to get another battery and try that and see what I get. It is my understanding that if the battery is not in or in proper working order it will cause issues(Kinda reminds me of a PSP). I hope my input is helpful with someone generating more information or at least a different interpretation.
    Edit/Delete Message
    03-02-10 04:49 PM
    My usb power shows 500mA and laptop camera uses 200mA and my blackberry uses 500mA so maybe the usb does not support the upgrade since low on power ??
    07-02-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD