This is really strange.

I don't know if other people have noticed this, but its happened to me twice.

78 -> 109 - crap battery - stalls -accelerator crap - slowness.

run for 2 days, crying on forums etc.

do a usb charge and sync. - battery great - everything perfect.

109 -> 113 - crap battery - stalls -accelerator crap - slowness.

Does anyone else find this?

Its almost like the blackberry needs to calibrate or be trickel charged from the USB cable before it performs properly after a near full drain, and the processor is speed stepped like a laptop CPU if it detects fast drainage the proc steps down so its slower. after a USB charge, everything runs dandy, and really nice and im totally stoked. like right now, this morning crying about a bad weekend of the new 113 update for the 9500, charged it for 8 hours. off charge now for about 8 hours and still hasnt moved one bar, and I have been using it heavily for about 1 hour.

anyway thats my theory for the events before i give it a good usb charge as opposed to a wall socket charge.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by chrisnz; 03-16-09 at 04:39 AM.
    03-16-09 04:04 AM
    I don't know but I'm usb charging tonight! At best I get about 14 hours before I hit the red zone. Ever.
    03-16-09 08:13 AM
    I have had a few issues with my battery throughout the leaked OS loads I have used. This had caused me to charge every night and then when I loaded .114 it was really bad. I got 8 hours before the battery was dead. I then found the hybrid from BlackberryOS that is now a sticky and could not be happier. I went over 48 hours over the weekend without charging and got down to 25% battery life with my normal use.

While this post does not address the claim of improved battery life from USB charging I wanted to relate my experiences thus far with my Storm.

And this is my 10th post
    03-16-09 08:36 AM
    The battery remaining is partially software based, I suspect. The reason is because I has to do a battery pull (thanks to Where) one weekend. I had 45% battery remaining prior to the pull. After the pull, I had 15% battery remaining.

How to get the OS to recognize the true battery life, I haven't a clue. I typically get 24-36 hrs with work day moderate - heavy usage. On weekends.... Well I'll get home on Friday with about 35%-45% remaining. I have to throw it on the charger Sunday night or I'll have to rely on car charger to make it thru the day
    03-16-09 09:59 AM
    This is really strange.

I don't know if other people have noticed this, but its happened to me twice.

78 -> 109 - crap battery - stalls -accelerator crap - slowness.

run for 2 days, crying on forums etc.

109 -> 113 - crap battery - stalls -accelerator crap - slowness.

Does anyone else find this?

Its almost like the blackberry needs to calibrate or be trickel charged from the USB cable before it performs properly after a near full drain, and the processor is speed stepped like a laptop CPU if it detects fast drainage the proc steps down so its slower. after a USB charge, everything runs dandy, and really nice and im totally stoked. like right now, this morning crying about a bad weekend of the new 113 update for the 9500, charged it for 8 hours. off charge now for about 8 hours and still hasnt moved one bar, and I have been using it heavily for about 1 hour.

anyway thats my theory for the events before i give it a good usb charge as opposed to a wall socket charge.

Thoughts?
    Charging from USB or Charger doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. My phone loses charge shockingly fast when I make calls. Off a full battery I can possibly get an hour worth of calls before it completely dies. Officially they claim 5.5 hours talktime. Running .113.
    03-16-09 01:06 PM
    A couple of days ago my battery got to about 60%, I decided to USB charge it.

Since then, the battery has been much worse. Even after charing through the mains.

Gonna try to recalibrate as read in another post.
    05-15-09 07:36 AM
    Think about this. If your device had to monitor the battery all the time it would be as if the device was constantly looking at the battery to see how it was doing. I don't believe this is the case. That would be a drain on the battery in itself. I think most monitoring of power sources are done in a sampling procedure. Here it goes. The processor takes a sample of the rate of power being used from the source and deducts this rate from a known figure. Later, the processor takes another sample and deducts that number from the last know sum and so on and so forth. So if you start at 100% and your use is light to moderate in retrospect, your display will act accordingly. Probably an insignificant change especially if your in an area where your signal strength is awesome and your device doesn't have work as hard to do what your asking it to do. But on the flip side, you start at 100%, start bouncing around weak and strong areas of service. Running apps, streaming radio, playing music, etc., that sampling will start to take it's toll on the actual amount of power that is left on a battery. On a side note. Most devices are set to shut off at actually 80% of battery discharge. So while we think the battery is completely discharged, the truth of it is that it's probably more like 80% discharged. This helps to keep the battery from getting a surge on the charging circuitry when we start to recharge the battery.

Just my thoughts on it all. Some will disagree and that's great. But that's how I learn is to listen to the arguments and research for myself.

Hope this helps...
    05-15-09 08:00 AM
    My battery does ok, I guess. I have all "auto" updates disabled in Viigo, twitter program, Google sync, weather, etc. As many realize, having auto update on for these programs usually drains it much more. This morning I took a look at my battery log (in MeterBerry). It showed a 1% or so drain per hour overnight. However, for my autoreboot at 4am, it showed a 7% drop. Odd. I waited an hour to test again. Lost virtually no battery while just sitting there. A secondr reboot/battery pull...another 8% loss. A third reboot/battery pull...another 9% loss. Never realized the drain on a reboot was so high.

05-15-09 08:06 AM
    If I take my laptop into the field with it disconnected from a power source and boot it up, it's no different. No joy
    05-15-09 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD