First of all, I'm fairly new to BB's and am NOT experienced with upgrading OS's. I still have .75 on my Storm and have been happy with it but .148 has some improvments that I would like. I have read the noob guides to upgrading the OS and about 100 more pages on the subject but I have a couple of questions that hopefully I can have answered.

First of all, if I plug my Storm into DM (ver 4.7), it now, as of about 1 hour ago, shows .148 available as a preferred update available to be installed. I didn't see this mentioned in the noob guide. Do I still have to download the OS to my computer or do I just follow the steps on DM?

If I still have to download the OS to my computer I have not been able to find it on Verizon's web site. I went through "BlackBerry's Download Site" which took me to Verizon's BB software update page which appears to only have .75 available. Am I correct in having to wait until June 3rd for it to show up there?

The noob guides mention using DM version 4.5. Is there any differences in using DM 4.7?

Which method would be better for me to use - DM or the Application Loader method? Will I lose my 3rd party apps?

And last, I have done a backup, including a 3rd party backup. Any last suggestions?

Thank you very much for any help!
    06-01-09 01:08 AM
    See my answers in blue.

First of all, I'm fairly new to BB's and am NOT experienced with upgrading OS's. I still have .75 on my Storm and have been happy with it but .148 has some improvments that I would like. I have read the noob guides to upgrading the OS and about 100 more pages on the subject but I have a couple of questions that hopefully I can have answered.

First of all, if I plug my Storm into DM (ver 4.7), it now, as of about 1 hour ago, shows .148 available as a preferred update available to be installed. I didn't see this mentioned in the noob guide. Do I still have to download the OS to my computer or do I just follow the steps on DM? You can do it two ways: 1. Just click next on DM and it will do the upgrade for you....or 2. Download and install .148 to PC, and then update your phone. .148 leak and .148 official are exactly same.

If I still have to download the OS to my computer I have not been able to find it on Verizon's web site. I went through "BlackBerry's Download Site" which took me to Verizon's BB software update page which appears to only have .75 available. Am I correct in having to wait until June 3rd for it to show up there? It won't show on vzw's website for a little bit. Here is the link to .148 leak. http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/le...9530-a-231483/

The noob guides mention using DM version 4.5. Is there any differences in using DM 4.7? 4.7 is the newer version...so it's improved.

Which method would be better for me to use - DM or the Application Loader method? Will I lose my 3rd party apps? You would need to back up your phone and 3rd party apps first. I prefer to use app loader, but you can use either or.

And last, I have done a backup, including a 3rd party backup. Any last suggestions? If you are going to download the .148 from the leaked thread, make sure delete the vendor.xml file. Check out the guide in my signature as well...The process may take 30-40 minutes, sometimes longer, so don't panic and don't disconnect your phone from PC, until DM/app loader tells you that OS update finished successfully. Good luck.

06-01-09 01:16 AM

First of all, if I plug my Storm into DM (ver 4.7), it now, as of about 1 hour ago, shows .148 available as a preferred update available to be installed. I didn't see this mentioned in the noob guide. Do I still have to download the OS to my computer or do I just follow the steps on DM?

If I still have to download the OS to my computer I have not been able to find it on Verizon's web site. I went through "BlackBerry's Download Site" which took me to Verizon's BB software update page which appears to only have .75 available. Am I correct in having to wait until June 3rd for it to show up there?

The noob guides mention using DM version 4.5. Is there any differences in using DM 4.7?

Which method would be better for me to use - DM or the Application Loader method? Will I lose my 3rd party apps?

And last, I have done a backup, including a 3rd party backup. Any last suggestions?

if it showed up in DM than just follow the instructions on the screen. You wont need to download anyting else, just hit the update button. Im not sure of the differences between DM 4.5 and 4.7, I personally use 4.7 and have to issues at all. If you have already backed up your 3rd party apps than you should be good to go.
    06-01-09 01:19 AM
    or just do what olta777 suggets above my late post.
    06-01-09 01:20 AM
    If you update via the DM, the install process will BACKUP YOUR 3rd party apps...AND RESTORE THEM...after 148 is installed...just be patient and do NOT interrupt the process...
    06-01-09 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD