Well I made the leap. I am with Verizon and not eligible for an upgrade until July 2011 but called customer service and requested to upgrade to the Droid X. She told me they had planned on sending me a promo to upgrade early in November, and said she would need to get her supervisor's permission (but she never got off the phone to ask it) and proceeded with ordering me a Droid X, which I activated last evening. Storm 2 - it's been real and it's been fun, but I'm leaving for greener pastures. I'll be selling my Storm 2 to my brother, who just had his Curve crap out on him, so he's happy and I'm happy.

I thought I would let anyone know - just because you aren't eligible for an upgrade does not mean you won't get one if you call and ask. I didn't have to threaten or get angry or upset. Ask and ye shall receive.
    09-17-10 04:36 PM
    Ah that is good news that you got a result... unfortunately in my case I want to get rid of Vodafone as well... so the same option for me is not so easy.

But as I say, I hope you have happier times with your Droid.
    09-17-10 04:40 PM
    it seems VZW is more than willing to upgrade some people while others are still getting a big phat NO
    09-17-10 05:12 PM
    Dang it. Upon reading this I tried to do it also, haha.
    My upgrade date isn't until December 2011 though, so that's probably why I got a big fat "NO, WE'RE SORRY".

At least I found out some other thing, freaking VZW automatically put my line on Unlimited BBA which is 44.99 a month.
    And cause? She said I "might've activated it unknowingly when I activated my replacement phone. So it changed from 29.99 to 44.99 a month."

W.T.F. How can I even do that? You dial *228 and press 1 and the program does all the activation for you. And now she tells me I did something? Um no. Haha.
    09-17-10 06:24 PM
    What did you pay and what were the terms?
    09-17-10 07:48 PM
    is this really deserving of being in the Storm forum?
    09-17-10 08:16 PM
    I just got rid of the X due to loss of signal and freezing and rebooting all known issues with the X. I will not jump into a fresh release again. I had to file a bbb complaint to return the X and have my contract date out back! As far as I am concerned these smart phones are not tested long enough before they are released. I am using my pearl flip which has been the best phone to date for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 08:26 PM
    I thought I would let anyone know - just because you aren't eligible for an upgrade does not mean you won't get one if you call and ask. I didn't have to threaten or get angry or upset. Ask and ye shall receive.

This is how I got my Storm 2.
    09-17-10 11:45 PM
    it seems VZW is more than willing to upgrade some people while others are still getting a big phat NO
    They told me no based on payment history.I have 2 lines. But the funny thing is they upgraded me through warranty replacement when i called and said my storm 9550 had problems which it did..Go figure......

I will probably call again to see if I can get my 2nd line early upgrade. Upgrade date is in April. Sometimes it takes the right rep.
    Last edited by henry_hill_3; 09-18-10 at 01:14 AM.
    09-18-10 01:11 AM
    What did you pay and what were the terms?
    It renewed my 2 year plan with them. My wife has a Tour (which she loves) and I had the S2. I have the unlimited data plan nationwide with 1400 minutes that my wife and I share. I pay roughly $170 per month after taxes.

The phone through customer service was $299.99 plus tax and it has a $100 mail in rebate.
    09-18-10 07:21 AM
    I called yesterday to ask about early upgrade on my daughter's phone (on my account). Not due for replacement until November but she wants a Droid now. They approved right away. They said they would put a note in the system and we could try going into the corporate store to see if they would honor it there. If they won't, she said to call back and they willship me one.

So why wouldn't they honor it at the store level if they authorized it and put a note on the system? Is it up to the store manager?
    09-18-10 07:28 AM
    I just got rid of the X due to loss of signal and freezing and rebooting all known issues with the X. I will not jump into a fresh release again. I had to file a bbb complaint to return the X and have my contract date out back! As far as I am concerned these smart phones are not tested long enough before they are released. I am using my pearl flip which has been the best phone to date for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I noticed a post on Android reboots and didn't feel so alone with my Storm battery pulls. My Storm took the a few OS releases to become bearable and I've long thought we've been paying $ to be beta testers for these companies but confess that I'd be tempted to jump into a Droid X if I came across one in stock....

I was offered an early upgrade a few weeks ago by a Verizon store manager who clearly knew my original Storm has its issues and also knew I like some musician's apps on my iTouch. The catch was they had Droid 2s in stock and not X.
    09-18-10 09:10 AM
    My upgrade date is in July of 2011 as well. I called last week to see if I could upgrade early to HTC Droid Incredible and also offered to get my brother to buy Samsung Fascinate with unlimited everything instead of going to ATT for iPhone 4. They rejected that. I've also been a good customer of theirs for the past six or seven years. I guess it really just matters who picks up the phone on the other end when you call. I think I'm going to wait until January or February now though to see what 4G phones come out and what kind of reviews they get.
    09-18-10 09:55 AM
    To all of the S2 users that are constantly pulling the battery, have you installed the QuickPull app. and scheduled it to run every night? I kinda thought this was old news, but I still hear people pulling batteries daily or more. I can count the number of times I've pulled the battery on my S2 (which I got in November) on one hand. That app. will take a ton of frustration out of your life.
    09-18-10 10:16 AM
    Well I made the leap. I am with Verizon and not eligible for an upgrade until July 2011 but called customer service and requested to upgrade to the Droid X. She told me they had planned on sending me a promo to upgrade early in November, and said she would need to get her supervisor's permission (but she never got off the phone to ask it) and proceeded with ordering me a Droid X, which I activated last evening. Storm 2 - it's been real and it's been fun, but I'm leaving for greener pastures. I'll be selling my Storm 2 to my brother, who just had his Curve crap out on him, so he's happy and I'm happy.

DId you need to extend your contract again? I am so against the offers they provide me given I am on Storm number 9 and with the defects this current has I could get another replacement which I have refused. Spent too many hours configuring my Storm already. I want them to recognize the poor reliability of this device and support their customers without costing additional money for hardware. Mine still within 1 year warranty
    09-18-10 10:45 AM
    Dang it. Upon reading this I tried to do it also, haha.
    My upgrade date isn't until December 2011 though, so that's probably why I got a big fat "NO, WE'RE SORRY".

At least I found out some other thing, freaking VZW automatically put my line on Unlimited BBA which is 44.99 a month.
    And cause? She said I "might've activated it unknowingly when I activated my replacement phone. So it changed from 29.99 to 44.99 a month."

W.T.F. How can I even do that? You dial *228 and press 1 and the program does all the activation for you. And now she tells me I did something? Um no. Haha.
    You are correct, I do not see how you could have done that during the activation process.
    09-18-10 10:47 AM
    It renewed my 2 year plan with them. My wife has a Tour (which she loves) and I had the S2. I have the unlimited data plan nationwide with 1400 minutes that my wife and I share. I pay roughly $170 per month after taxes.

The phone through customer service was $299.99 plus tax and it has a $100 mail in rebate.
    See to me that is not really a big deal, they renew your contract and give you the phone with the 1 year upgrade price that everyone on here is eligible for now. You probably could have done that 3 months ago in july.

You should have gotten 199 and the rebate like a 2 year renewal would have been like probably. If you are happy then good but you all have have to remember the 1 year upgrade is always an option
    09-18-10 11:36 AM
    although you use Quick Pull, which is a great app, if you download a theme or any application, you should still do a physical battery pull and also do one at least once a week. I had quck pull and loved it, but now I have the QUICK LAUNCH and it has it as part of the app so I could delete it.

And for the OP who asked about the 44.99 data from 29.99 when you upgrade or add a data to a BB on Verizon, it automatically for some reason will accept the 44.99 they have to manually make the switch to 29.99 It happened to me as well. And when I sold wireless, we had to make the switch, so what I am telling you is true.
    09-18-10 12:03 PM
    If they upgrade you early, do they add the remaining time on your contract PLUS the 2 years which is standard on an upgrade? Or is it simply a new 2 year contract from the time they give you the early upgrade?
    09-18-10 04:00 PM

I sincerely hope you enjoy that Droid X. I found it to be one of the biggest pieces of crap out there. If you get 3 to 4 hours off the charger, let us all know. You will also find the camera is horrible, and my biggest complaint is I can't hear the damn thing ring. I still believe the Storm 2 is better than the whole Android lineup of phones.
    09-19-10 06:08 AM
    I sincerely hope you enjoy that Droid X. I found it to be one of the biggest pieces of crap out there. If you get 3 to 4 hours off the charger, let us all know. You will also find the camera is horrible, and my biggest complaint is I can't hear the damn thing ring. I still believe the Storm 2 is better than the whole Android lineup of phones.
    we havvve found a troll i think
    09-19-10 11:57 AM
    To all of the S2 users that are constantly pulling the battery, have you installed the QuickPull app. and scheduled it to run every night? I kinda thought this was old news, but I still hear people pulling batteries daily or more. I can count the number of times I've pulled the battery on my S2 (which I got in November) on one hand. That app. will take a ton of frustration out of your life.

I agree.

I don't understand why anyone has a need for frequent battery pulls or reboots on a S2. Mine routinely goes weeks without a reboot and the only time it does get one is when I install or delete an app and reboot is required. Maybe I just got a good one or maybe some of these people haven't upgraded their OS in a while. But I don't see the problem.

I just checked and my QL device info has me at 280+ hours of uptime. I have no lag anywhere and everything is running great. The S1 I had needed a reboot 2-3 times a day every single day. So maybe people just assume they need to pull the battery out of habit.

If you do have a S2 that needs rebooted everyday I would make sure your OS is current, Make sure you don't have way to many apps and delete any apps you may not use any more and if you still need frequent reboots I think I'd bellyache to VZW cause something may be wrong.
    Last edited by Witmen; 09-19-10 at 12:50 PM.
    09-19-10 12:48 PM
    I agree with this to a certain point.

My Droid X will maybe last 8 hrs with medium internet/texting usage.

This Droid X does occasionally reboot but I have heard the 2.2 OS will correct that problem.

My camera is very nice though.

But the call quality and messaging on my 9550 BLLOW the Droid X away.

I miss my 9550 and am trying to find a phone for my wife so I can take her 9550.
    09-20-10 01:55 PM
    One of the customer service reps told me that if you have to send your phone back four times then you get another model at not cost. That's just what I heard about a week ago.
    09-21-10 05:57 PM
    One of the customer service reps told me that if you have to send your phone back four times then you get another model at not cost. That's just what I heard about a week ago.
    It does not work like that anymore. You will just keep getting the same device
    09-21-10 06:16 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD