hi guys...upgraded to .90 yesterday and I went to use my storm this morning and the screen wasnt registering my fingers on it...so I rebooted...now my storm isnt starting up at all...im getting the black screen with the black loading clock, then it goes white and something flashes into the middle of the screen quickly I think it says "reset"...

any ideas?? im supposed to be on call today and cant really do so if I dont have a phone hahaha
    01-30-09 07:49 PM
    Did you try a battery pull?

If so, try downgrading and reloading it.
    01-30-09 07:56 PM
    That's mostly because .90 is as effective and a penthouse model in a gay bath house.
    01-30-09 09:15 PM
    dude same happened to me !
    The only solution is on dm there is an app brick breaker install it on your phone and then reload the os 78 !
    i hope u backed up before~!
    A
    01-31-09 01:12 AM
    this is farked...i cant reinstall any OS on it??

I havent tried to install .78 yet because its so slow and takes ages to download from the blackberry site...so i did a complete JL Wipe and now when I try to reinstall .90 back onto my storm I get an error message from the loader saying "a fatal communications error has occured"

WTF?!
    01-31-09 01:15 AM
    hi guys...upgraded to .90 yesterday and I went to use my storm this morning and the screen wasnt registering my fingers on it...so I rebooted...now my storm isnt starting up at all...im getting the black screen with the black loading clock, then it goes white and something flashes into the middle of the screen quickly I think it says "reset"...

any ideas?? im supposed to be on call today and cant really do so if I dont have a phone hahaha
    .90 sucks so much that you're better off not having your phone turn on

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 01:17 AM
    sorry this is the error I get when I try to reload:

Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.
    01-31-09 01:20 AM
    I CANT MAKE THE FRIGGEN THING STOP RESETTING!!!!!

AAARRRRGGHHHH

thats why im getting this communications error when trying to reload firmware!
    01-31-09 01:30 AM
    Ok a further update...I can get it to sort of load software but when it gets to the Reconnecting to JVM the screen has a battery with a lighting bolt on it and then it gets to the end and gives me the "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation." error message...

any help would be much much appreciated!
    01-31-09 01:45 AM
    Here is what you need to do:

1) take your battery out
    2) uninstall all OS software from your PC (leave desktop manager)
    3) reboot your PC
    4) install .78 / .87 or whatever OS you want (apart from .90)
    5) once OS has installed navigate in windows explorer to C:\programfiles\commonfiles\Researchinmotion\
    6) delete vendor.xml
    7) double click on apploader application
    8) When on the connection screen in apploader plug your Storm back in (with battery out)
    9) Apploader should then find your Storm (will say PIN uknown)
    10) Click next and then re-instert your battery
    11) follow instructions in apploader and you should be all set

good luck
    01-31-09 02:16 AM
    thanks Nmonger...im gonna give it a go now

wish me luck!
    01-31-09 02:43 AM
    Nmonger...didnt work

back to the drawing board
    01-31-09 03:11 AM
    Nmonger...didnt work

back to the drawing board
    What error message did you get?
    01-31-09 04:16 AM
    Like I said in the other thread, try a couple of times.

Also DO NOT be tempted to select additional software to install, just click next. The rest you can install when the device is up and running again. Just the basic system files and the phone app etc is enough.

If you do take the time to "quickly" select the other files/programs in options etc screens than the device will most likely loose the connection. It won't reboot since the battery is out, but it will loose the connection. When the first stage of the file loading process is completed DM will send a reboot command to the device and/or a disconnect to the USB bus. When it turns on again it will redetect the phone. In order to do that you MUST make sure that your battery is in the device BEFORE that bit happens. Since it disconnects from the bus for a moment AND the battery is (should read WAS) out it will not have any juice to boot after the disconnecting.

Follow the steps outlined by the letter. It should work. If it doesn't play around a bit. It takes time. Once you've done it, you'll have that aaahaaaaaaa feeling...

If it keeps failing, there are other ways. Don't worry.
    Last edited by TheMisses; 01-31-09 at 05:14 AM.
    01-31-09 05:09 AM
    I would suggest a solution that worked for me and for that I need to specify links but like I am new on this forum, I have to write 10 posts before... this is 1st
    01-31-09 05:11 AM
    I have the same problem... every few days it just has a mind of its own and keeps resetting... can select items on touchscreen, but can not open anything or answer calls even with the physical buttons.
    01-31-09 06:09 PM
    What error message did you get?
    Same one dude...im going to try Misses way now...ive got a few hours free to play with it
    02-01-09 02:44 AM
    success!

it was a timing thing

I followed these steps and got .78 back onto my storm

1. Uninstalled .90 firmware
    2. Rebooted PC
    3. Installed .78 firmware
    4. Deleted Vendor.xml file
    5. Ran loader.exe from same folder as vendor.xml folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)
    6. Pulled battery from storm
    7. Plugged storm in when I got to the device selection screen and selected USB Device: Unknown
    8. Clicked next and when I got to the applications screen I clicked next again without selecting anything extra
    9. When the status bar appeared on the loader screen and it said "erasing applications" this is when I put the battery back in.
    10. Let the loader do its thing and it is all fine now

Many thanks for your help misses and nmonger!
    02-01-09 03:02 AM
    success!

it was a timing thing

I followed these steps and got .78 back onto my storm

1. Uninstalled .90 firmware
    2. Rebooted PC
    3. Installed .78 firmware
    4. Deleted Vendor.xml file
    5. Ran loader.exe from same folder as vendor.xml folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)
    6. Pulled battery from storm
    7. Plugged storm in when I got to the device selection screen and selected USB Device: Unknown
    8. Clicked next and when I got to the applications screen I clicked next again without selecting anything extra
    9. When the status bar appeared on the loader screen and it said "erasing applications" this is when I put the battery back in.
    10. Let the loader do its thing and it is all fine now

Many thanks for your help misses and nmonger!
    Cool - pleased you are back up and running...hopefully by the end of today we will have the .99 release for the 9500 to play with ;-)
    02-01-09 03:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD