So I updated to 148 through dm and it errored out the first time. It said could not connect to jvm.
    On my phone it said application error or something. When I went to update again, it worked but
    All of my contacts are gone and so are all of the apps I had, including docs to go.
    Is there any way to get my contacts back? I didn't back up first through dm. I'm an *****, I know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 09:57 PM
    do u have outlook or gmail? u can sync them to ur phone (gmail = addressbook = google sync)
    05-31-09 10:00 PM
    My problem is that my main email is a godaddy private domain.... Good idea though.

05-31-09 10:03 PM
    Prior to the phone getting wiped the DM should have created a backup file. You just need to figure out where it go placed on your computer and do a restore. That will take care of your contacts, for your apps you need to go to your app loader and check each application that you want installed.
    05-31-09 10:07 PM
    You should be able to find the backup DM made, assuming you chose that option, in your My Documents folder. It should be a file named:

LoaderBackup-(2009-05-31).ipd

In DM go to Backup/Restore, choose Restore and browse to the location of that .ipd file and it should restore your data, but I am not sure you will get your third party apps.
    05-31-09 10:26 PM
    Yeah, I lost my calendar but I did my own backup prior to upgrade... Then the upgrade did a backup so I'm all set. Did you try that?
    05-31-09 10:29 PM
    I had the call log icon on my home screen, i did the update and now have the phone icon up. Did the call log dissapear and is it now being replaced with the phone icon?
    05-31-09 10:31 PM
    Think i read in change log: call log > phone icon.

If u have a minute: change log
    05-31-09 11:03 PM
    This is a newb question. How do you create a back-up file?
    05-31-09 11:37 PM
    You should be able to find the backup DM made, assuming you chose that option, in your My Documents folder. It should be a file named:

In DM go to Backup/Restore, choose Restore and browse to the location of that .ipd file and it should restore your data, but I am not sure you will get your third party apps.

Thanks a bunch for this tidbit. I checked my docs and there was my backup. My contacts are back as well as all of the apps I was missing. Kudos to you my friend!
    06-01-09 08:25 AM
    This is a newb question. How do you create a back-up file?
    In your DM, select Backup/Restore and click create backup. It will store a file on your computer.
    06-01-09 08:30 AM

Yup, to RIMs credit, even if people did not back up their own stuff, the OS upgrade installer creates a nice back up file.

I luckily just used Google Sync to restore my calendar and contacts. The OS upgrade did not affect my 3rd party apps (i.e., they were all there after the upgrade).
    06-01-09 08:32 AM
    What is dm?

06-01-09 09:25 AM
    Desktop Manager. On disc that came w/phone or downloadable from blackberry.com.
    06-01-09 09:34 AM
    Ok for those of us without DM (mac user) I hear everyone saying to use gmail for backup. I don't have any numbers in my gmail address book though, they are on my phone only. Is there a way to get them from the phone to the address book and not vice versa?
    06-01-09 10:26 AM
    Ok for those of us without DM (mac user) I hear everyone saying to use gmail for backup. I don't have any numbers in my gmail address book though, they are on my phone only. Is there a way to get them from the phone to the address book and not vice versa?
    How bout you go and find a friend with a PC (windows) and make a backup there? Seriously how hard is that to do, Im sure for every single mac user there is 20 Windows users.

Unless MAC users belong to an elite cult that refuse to use Windows.
    06-01-09 10:47 AM
    I lost my contacts but did a backup and it restored everything
    06-01-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD