I've performed several OS upgrades in the past and never had this issue.

The install has gone successfully, but DM is just showing 'connecting to device', even though the device has started up and is fully functional - but everything has been deleted, e.g. my contacts.

In other words, the install has completed but it never reached the restore part.

I'm terrified that I'm going to lose everything so I haven't unplugged the USB cable yet but it's been sitting on 'connecting to device' for a very long time now.

What can I do?
    02-21-09 06:56 PM
    Give it a little time to restore, if not I'm sure you can just wipe it clean and start fresh. Hopefully you backed all your info first.
    02-21-09 06:58 PM
    Even if turns back and is functional, you should let DM finish. There's been a few times where I've done an OS upgrade and it shows Connecting to Device, and the phone turns on and is functional, but I leave it alone until DM says everything is done.

Only you can do now is restore data if you backed up. Not sure if when you upgrade it auto saves a backup file, but worth a try to look if you didn't back it up manually.
    02-21-09 07:03 PM
    Thanks guys, unforuntately I didn't do a manual backup.

It's been 'connecting to device' now for 40 mins and the blue bar is moving across very slowly :-(
    02-21-09 07:07 PM
    That has happened to me too, well DM did back up your files already, i mean if you didn't disable this option, anyhow, when DM fail to restore your BB after the upgrade, it should show you a msg saying that it couldn't restore your files automatically, and you have to do it manually,

anyhow, now look for the back up file, in this situation, it should be in your my documents root folder, the file extension is *.ipd, if you cant find it there, search your computer for any files, with that extension,

the normal file name should be normally like that
    LoaderBackup-(2009-02-19).ipd

which it shows the date you did, or the dm did the backup,

hope it will work for you, and plz let me know, bc i'm going to try the .109 soon
    02-21-09 07:09 PM
    Not to sound harsh but WTF is wrong with you upgrading to a leaked OS without, at minimum, a Data back up?

These threads come up like clockwork every time a new leak comes out and they always say something like "I have upgraded a bunch of times this same way, but now......"

Back Up your data before doing anything.
    02-21-09 07:16 PM
    Thanks Eng.Soly, the problem I have now is that the DM software is not recognizing my device. It says Device Connected (PIN): None. I have tried a battery pull and a PC restart.

Brianr0131, thanks for the input, but the DM software performs an automatic backup. I will be sure to make a manual backup in future just in case.
    02-21-09 07:20 PM
    OK, I reinstalled the Blackberry USB driver and DM is able to detect my device again :-D

Currently restoring...

Thanks a lot for your help.
    02-21-09 07:24 PM
    Glad you got your data back. I would still take a minute in the future and do manual back up first.
    02-21-09 07:38 PM
    WHEW! Know that feeling man...glad you got it back.
    02-21-09 08:03 PM
    ALWAYS do both a manual backup and a separate back up of your 3rd party apps, before you update to a leak. ALWAYS!
    02-21-09 08:23 PM
    ALWAYS do both a manual backup and a separate back up of your 3rd party apps, before you update to a leak. ALWAYS!
    amen brother always back up
    02-22-09 03:30 AM
    not only with leaks. official releases are also not error free.

always BACK UP!!
    02-22-09 03:58 AM
    Backup, Backup, Backup!!!
    02-22-09 07:12 AM
    Also, I would say if you are constantly trying new OS's and software's to backup daily..it take less than 2 minutes and is well worth it..
    02-22-09 07:56 AM
    Not to sound harsh but WTF is wrong with you upgrading to a leaked OS without, at minimum, a Data back up?

These threads come up like clockwork every time a new leak comes out and they always say something like "I have upgraded a bunch of times this same way, but now......"

Back Up your data before doing anything.
    posts like this do not help...thanks for contributing
    02-22-09 08:10 AM
    posts like this do not help...thanks for contributing
    He had the OP's best interest at heart. And I don't blame him. It's posted on every thread leak instruction to BACK UP. Now could he have said "What were you thinking" instead? Yes, but considering the amount of flaming that goes on in these forums I think that was nothing more then just a little heat.
    02-22-09 08:56 AM
    I've performed several OS upgrades in the past and never had this issue.

The install has gone successfully, but DM is just showing 'connecting to device', even though the device has started up and is fully functional - but everything has been deleted, e.g. my contacts.

In other words, the install has completed but it never reached the restore part.

I'm terrified that I'm going to lose everything so I haven't unplugged the USB cable yet but it's been sitting on 'connecting to device' for a very long time now.

What can I do?
    I had this as well. DM froze but the phone restarted but without my data. I backed it up BEFORE I tried the 103/106 hybrid installation and was able to Resore all my data without incident. Settings for the new themes I had loaded weren't saved, but that's the only issue I had with the hybrid upgrade.
    02-22-09 11:02 AM
    that happened to me with the .76 upgrade you probably selected dont backup my files accidentally or somethin... thats why you should ALWAYS back up your data before you upgrade especially with leaked OS's

actually even w official releases better safe than sorry
    02-22-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD