So I got an email from RIM inviting me to upgrade my Storm 9500 - Vodafone to the latest OS. That is 4.7.0.141. OK, I thought, that's a good idea. WRONG!

I took a full backup first. Phew!

I used the Blackberry Desktop to do the upgrade. It didn't finish but told me to restore from a file it had saved. I did that.
    So what happened?

Half of my databases were missing, particularly app preferences that had been set.
    It reset my theme.
    All the loaded apps kept asking for their registration codes.
    It's slow - response to the screen press is significantly slower.
    eWallet wouldn't Synchonise any more.
    QuickLaunch menu flashes on and off 10 times a second.
    Any key unlocks the Storm, not just the unlock button at top left.

I decided to restore from my last backup, hoping for an improvement. Not really.
    I finally managed to Synchronise eWallet after a struggle.

Anybody else try this or have a similar experience. Have you successfully upgraded to 141?
    Regards
    John
    05-08-09 09:33 AM
    unfortunate you are having so many problems.

unfortunately, no matter what you upgrade to, official or not, you will always always have to re register your apps.
    05-08-09 09:38 AM
    An experience like that can occur with any OS. Unfortunately, it seems you had some bad luck.

I've been upgrading my storm with leaked and official OS's. I have never had any issue with missing databases or preferences being changed.

As far as registration codes are concerned, kinggeoff is right. When you upgrade, you will most likely have to register your apps again. I've had to do that every time I upgraded my OS.

It seems the quicklaunch bug is a complaint with all .141 users.

the unlock change had been implemented in a much earlier OS. It might change again with an upcoming OS but it seems like its here to stay right now.
    05-08-09 09:47 AM
    1) Quicklaunch issue was known since the day it was leaked.
    2) The lock issue was known the day it was leaked
    3) You always have to redo registration and set up your settings for apps.

The unlock thing is completely new. You click any of the 4 buttons and it will unlock, before you had to press and hold the buttons and it might unlock.
    05-08-09 09:57 AM
    Ive never been to fond of 141 as is but as stated before with any load you do you will have to register your apps again. As for the other issues....this has been known with 141. There is fixes for these if you read on some of the threads it states how these can be fixed.
    05-08-09 09:57 AM
    So I got an email from RIM inviting me to upgrade my Storm 9500 - Vodafone to the latest OS. That is 4.7.0.141. OK, I thought, that's a good idea. WRONG!

I took a full backup first. Phew!

I used the Blackberry Desktop to do the upgrade. It didn't finish but told me to restore from a file it had saved. I did that.
    So what happened?

Half of my databases were missing, particularly app preferences that had been set.
    It reset my theme.
    All the loaded apps kept asking for their registration codes.
    It's slow - response to the screen press is significantly slower.
    eWallet wouldn't Synchonise any more.
    QuickLaunch menu flashes on and off 10 times a second.
    Any key unlocks the Storm, not just the unlock button at top left.

I decided to restore from my last backup, hoping for an improvement. Not really.
    I finally managed to Synchronise eWallet after a struggle.

Anybody else try this or have a similar experience. Have you successfully upgraded to 141?
    Regards
    John
    When I upgraded with the leaked OS, I had a problem with eWallet too. But I just did a restore and I got everything back.

Other than that I have not had a problem with it. Try the leaked .132 it is very solid. I may choose to go back to it as well.
    05-08-09 10:20 AM
    Or you can all just wait until the official 5.0 OS is released�. Haha

This is ridicules why is it taking so long for another official OS release to hit the streets. Get on the ball!!!
    05-08-09 12:24 PM
    Well seeing how bad .141 was we should all be happy VZW didn't release it.

Official release or not I always read the Facts/Findings thread in here to see if it's worth it.

I'm rockin .132 and, aside from the on/off memory leak, have no problems with it. I was scared of the .141 stuff I read here.
    05-08-09 12:37 PM
    After restored everything, did you do any battery pulls? Usually two or three help the Storm to run better.
    05-08-09 12:41 PM
    Yup bet a million bucks u didn't do a couple batt pulls did u? Tisk!

After restored everything, did you do any battery pulls? Usually two or three help the Storm to run better.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:45 PM
    This is ridicules why is it taking so long for another official OS release to hit the streets. Get on the ball!!!
    This thread is a perfect example as to why VZW is holding out for a gold code. Look how pissed the OP is that Vodaphone released another shotty OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:48 PM
    Sounds more like user error than anything else.
    05-08-09 12:52 PM
    .141 is the greatest OS know to Storm.

I want to know what their tech support does when you tell them all your hard keys unlock your phone though....

Quick Launch is a 3rd party App, so it not being compatible is not a bug, it just means they need to update their app.
    05-08-09 12:57 PM
    It's what keeps these forums alive.
    05-08-09 01:13 PM
    Thank you for all the replies. Very interesting. Some seemed a bit fatalistic to me - "that's the way it's always been".

Well, I'm new to Blackberry - 2 months, but not to handhelds (Palm 9 years) or computing (38 years). I expected a few learning problems (which I got) but I also expected a stable system, especially in an official upgrade.

1. The email I received was signed by RIM. I assumed (stupid) that it was a safe release - I had deliberately NOT used the leaked version. I'll delay upgrades in the future (a la Windows) and see what the community have to say.
    2. Why on earth must you re-register just because you load a new OS - the one thing has nothing to do with the other. Has it?
    3. If third party apps no longer run properly then either they didn't follow compatibility rules or RIM changed them.

I DID "battery pull" (come on) but only once. I'll try a few more times as suggested.

Thanks once again to everyone.
    Regards
    John
    05-08-09 01:30 PM
    BTW. Who do I shout at. The email was from no-reply at upgrade.blackberry.com.
    05-08-09 01:33 PM
    Thank you for all the replies. Very interesting. Some seemed a bit fatalistic to me - "that's the way it's always been".

Well, I'm new to Blackberry - 2 months, but not to handhelds (Palm 9 years) or computing (38 years). I expected a few learning problems (which I got) but I also expected a stable system, especially in an official upgrade.

1. The email I received was signed by RIM. I assumed (stupid) that it was a safe release - I had deliberately NOT used the leaked version. I'll delay upgrades in the future (a la Windows) and see what the community have to say.
    2. Why on earth must you re-register just because you load a new OS - the one thing has nothing to do with the other. Has it?
    3. If third party apps no longer run properly then either they didn't follow compatibility rules or RIM changed them.

I DID "battery pull" (come on) but only once. I'll try a few more times as suggested.

Thanks once again to everyone.
    Regards
    John
    2) Think of it this way, when you reinstall windows, you have to install office again and use the key again. Same principle applies here.

3) Its the developer that is responsible for the apps not RIM. RIM has changed something in the code that doesnt play nice. The developer stated that tomorrow he will have a workaround.
    05-08-09 01:47 PM
    The only thing I can say is that you may want to do a full wipe of your phone and reload everything. Make sure you back up your third party apps prior to the wipe. I've had the same issues with .122 .132 and others and that's what fixed my phone
    05-08-09 01:50 PM
    its user error until it happens to you. Its been reported that the last two leaks have had similar issues of apps not being restored. this is why I always do a full backup of apps and databases and a wipe before any os install
    05-08-09 02:31 PM
    I am also starting to have a lot of problems with .141. I liked .132 better but I tried to go back to .132 and was not able to do so. I went back and got .132 again but error message when I try to install. I updated my desk top manager and after that the message says to install new os I must uninstall current update. I tried to remove but not sure how. Also dont know if it means the phone os or the desk top manager update. Any help would be gladly appciated...

Thanks,
    05-08-09 02:36 PM
    I have .141 loaded for over a week. It' is working much better than the .122 and it's shutting down at the most inconvenient moments.

To keep your Storm working fast, it must have a good amount of application memory.
    Have you checked what your app memory is? Should be 30 Mb or better. Some say over 40 for best O/S speed.
    05-08-09 02:39 PM
    you can easily get into the teens with memory and it will work just fine.
    05-08-09 02:40 PM
    No problems with memory leak but with battery drain really BAD... Did not have a problem with battery drain with .132. I am also having rebooting isuses and it's a lot slower with .141.
    05-08-09 02:56 PM
    when i first uploaded the .141 it somehow nuked my phone somehow, but got it fix back to the .132 , so i tried it again and it work out good, the only MAJOR problem i see so far is when i lock the phone it locks fine but now if i hit the send key or end key or really any at the bottom it unlocks the phone is anybody else having this issue???
    05-09-09 10:04 AM
    when i first uploaded the .141 it somehow nuked my phone somehow, but got it fix back to the .132 , so i tried it again and it work out good, the only MAJOR problem i see so far is when i lock the phone it locks fine but now if i hit the send key or end key or really any at the bottom it unlocks the phone is anybody else having this issue???
    It's a known issue with .141. The only solution is to load a different net_rim_bb_ribbon_app.cod.
    05-09-09 10:06 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD