Hey gang. I have had my awesome Storm for a month now and think that its just a really incredible device. After reading all the posts before my purchase and deciding to buy the one manufactured in Mexico as well as the other posts about battery life savings, I have had no real issues. My question is should I upgrade to 148? I have seen all the posts about how great it is and find myself in a bind....Im not having any problems with the way it runs now, but the posts make it seem like 148 is a much better os. Help please!
    05-27-09 09:14 AM
    This phone is soooo much better on.148. You can even use the camera. To me, not upgrading is a declaration of insanity. Follow the instructions in the first post of this app (http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/n0...source-213706/). It's pretty straight forward. The process is really pretty simple.

Grey
    05-27-09 09:18 AM
    Like this question hasn't been addressed a million times. Learn to use the search function, you never know when you might learn something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:22 AM
    Hey gang. I have had my awesome Storm for a month now and think that its just a really incredible device. After reading all the posts before my purchase and deciding to buy the one manufactured in Mexico as well as the other posts about battery life savings, I have had no real issues. My question is should I upgrade to 148? I have seen all the posts about how great it is and find myself in a bind....Im not having any problems with the way it runs now, but the posts make it seem like 148 is a much better os. Help please!
    UPGRADE - UPGRADE - UPGRADE! You will love it even more!

If you're new to this, just upgrade to the Leaked .148 OS. It's straight forward and nearly fool-proof!

If you're comfortable with the upgrade process try one of the 148/5.0 OS hybrids. I'm a fan of Lyricidal's work and have been updating every couple of days as new versions are released!
    Last edited by chasvs; 05-27-09 at 09:30 AM.
    05-27-09 09:28 AM
    Like this question hasn't been addressed a million times. Learn to use the search function, you never know when you might learn something.

Thanks for the tip, didn't mean to make you type or read an unnecessary forum. Your eyes and fingers are ok, right?
    05-27-09 09:35 AM
    if .148 is beta then I would not recommended it. best thing is official release then no worries with the storm just like I have with bell , I use official release .122 and works really good so far and no problem whatsoever. can you imagine that I did download themes and still no problem too. it is because I use official release from bell mobility and I did make the right choice.
    05-27-09 09:39 AM
    if .148 is beta then I would not recommended it. best thing is official release then no worries with the storm just like I have with bell , I use official release .122 and works really good so far and no problem whatsoever. can you imagine that I did download themes and still no problem too. it is because I use official release from bell mobility and I did make the right choice.
    dont listen to this kid. .148 is better than .122 in every possible way. try it for yourself. i was finally able to convince one of my friends to upgrade from .75 to .148 and shes had it for 6 days and i think ive gotten at least 4 or 5 messages from her thanking me for upgrading her phone.
    05-27-09 09:46 AM
    dont listen to this kid. .148 is better than .122 in every possible way. try it for yourself. i was finally able to convince one of my friends to upgrade from .75 to .148 and shes had it for 6 days and i think ive gotten at least 4 or 5 messages from her thanking me for upgrading her phone.
    you got one big problem as I have heard many have problem wiith .148 in here because of beta and you should know beta is not supported by any carriers end of story !!
    05-27-09 09:51 AM
    Official releases have as many if not more issues than the latest "leaked" releases. If you feel comfortable sticking with your carriers release, you are doing the right thing for you.

For those a bit more adventurous, the latest leaked versions are awesome and are proving more stable and perform better than any of the Official releases out there today.

Just MHO
    05-27-09 09:53 AM
    I recently upgrded last night and to be honest I dont see any major difference. Like I have said in my thread I use the Storm as a phone first. On .75 I had random resets but not to the point where it frustrated me where I wanted to get rid of the device. On .148 the typing keys are smaller than .75. I upgraded because I wanted to see things for myself. I am not disappointed and I do not think it was a waste of time. So the choice is yours - do not think that your phone is going to be tranformed into a SUPER STORM because it will not. Love it for what it is regardless of the OS version you are running.

I hope that help
    05-27-09 09:55 AM
    I'll be honest...the way everyone talks I was expecting some sort of miracle upgrading from 75 to 148. It's nice having the full qwerty so I don't have to tilt the screen for words that SureType doesn't recognize, the camera is a smigde faster and the box that pops up to move your cursor if you need to do an edit is great, but other than that I see no difference at all. Perhaps I got lucky with a really great stock storm, but my husband's storm is also snappy and problem free on 75. No lags, memory leaks, or other glitches. I have 30+ 3rd party apps and 8-10 themes too (boot up mid 40's level off low-mid 30's) so it's not like I'm running bare bones either lol.

The nice thing about upgrading to any OS though is that you can run CrackMem before loading it on your Storm and delete the stock images, wallpapers and some other stuff to free up valuable memory. If you're gonna upgrade, check out Rooster's awesome guide here for Pete's CrackMem so you can get yourself some extra space to fill with cool apps and themes

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ne...memory-142376/

As long as you're comfortable with the whole upgrading process you might as well. The extra memory is great and the few new OS features are really cool to have!
    05-27-09 10:04 AM
    .75 rocks. Oh wait that's .148. Yes I would go with .148 miles it's miles beyond .75.

05-27-09 10:05 AM
    Also...I've been running 148 6 days now and 0 problems. No reboots, freezes, etc. I did do a couple of battery pulls when I first loaded it and also uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of my themes and 3rd party apps.

Be sure to go through the back up process first in case anything goes wrong. I lost my calendar in the upgrade but was able to reload it no problem thanks to the backup. Check out all the stickies in this forum for all the info.
    05-27-09 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone. It is appreciated
    05-27-09 10:13 AM
    I'll be honest...the way everyone talks I was expecting some sort of miracle upgrading from 75 to 148.
    At the end of the day it's just a very nice phone with additional applications. There are no miracles involved and beyond increased performance, better battery life, etc. it's just a phone!
    05-27-09 10:14 AM
    it's just a phone!
    Just a phone!?!?!? Ahhhh the horror! It is apex of my communicative device history, the crowning jewel of my mobile gadget collection, the raw essence of my inner tech dork. Um...wow I think I need some sort of support group as my obsession is really getting out of hand.

What I mean was that my Storm...and my husband's...have both been fantastic on 75 since day 1, so it wasn't like upgrading to 148 fixed so much or made such a drastic difference...because nothing was broken or running poorly. Just a few nice little advancements.

But from what I read here a lot of people do have bugs in 75 and the leaks prior to 148 so this upgrade probably is a significant change for them.
    05-27-09 10:31 AM
    Upgrade to a stable build = going from like to love
    05-27-09 10:52 AM
    What finally pushed me over the edge was the terrible typing lag I was experiencing on .75. I finally took the plunge, and went from just liking my phone, to absolutely loving it (as MakinMeFamous said). Everything was so crisp and snappy, it's just awesome.

Were I able to go straight from .75 to .148 or lyricidal's .148/5.0, well, damn... I don't think I would have been able to handle it!

Go for an upgrade. If you don't like it, you can always downgrade back to .75. The process is simple, and once you do it the first time, it's much less nerve-wracking.
    05-27-09 11:00 AM
    It really is a painless process, just make sure you have the time to do it (about an hour+) because you dont wanna rip your phone off the data cable mid process and brick up / paper weight (as i like to call it) your phone.

Because that, my friend, is indeed a headache......
    05-27-09 11:21 AM
    Havok, I accidentally had to reload .75 the other day and let me tell you that was the worst experience in my life. It is terribly slow. I would really say you should upgrade to at least .122. It's what I'm running, .122 is not a leak it's an official OS from Bell/Telus. You can download it here...

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E607FE7CC0E1A0

Select 9530 smartphone from the dropdown and .122 will show up, it will say applications 4.7.0.122

As with ANY LEAKED OS you install it after you download it and it should install everything for you after that, just make sure you select to back up everything and it will put all your messages, emails etc back on the phone.

If you use .122 install it to your computer, than if it asks if you want to open desktop manager say no. Than go to my computer, go to C: drive, program files, common files, research in motion, apploader, at the bottom of that list is a file called vendor.xml, delete that. Than on the same list, click the loader file and it will open up application loader and that will install .122 for you.

Oh and I personally didn't like .148. But if you wanna be certain it's stable .122 is the best because it's an official.
    Last edited by gobroncos; 05-27-09 at 12:05 PM.
    05-27-09 11:58 AM
    [QUOTE=karaz;2657580]Just a phone!?!?!? Ahhhh the horror! It is apex of my communicative device history, the crowning jewel of my mobile gadget collection, the raw essence of my inner tech dork. Um...wow I think I need some sort of support group as my obsession is really getting out of hand.
    QUOTE]

I'm sooo sorry I shocked your system so much! I know it's much, much, much more than a phone, and I enjoy this thing more than I should. It's just that while the latest OS is better than .75 by a country mile, it's not some miracle transformation that's going to make the Storm that much better than it already is.
    05-27-09 01:42 PM
    one thing i've found is that if you do an update to .148 and its still slow, leaking memory, etc...then the restore function corrupted one of the databases...do the security>"wipe handheld" and sync your contacts/calendar, and from there change all settings manually, it will make a huge difference. also could be 3rd party apps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    05-27-09 01:56 PM
    i had the same questions with my 1 month old storm; .75 was working ok, but was a little buggy..
    I read that 132 was a real stable release, and upgraded to that yesterday, and it seems quite a bit faster, and many of the glitches that were on .75 dont seem to be on this release..

One question for all the experts here; if I want to try 148, is it just as simple as downloading it, deleting the vendor.xml file, connecting my Storm to the pc, and running loader.exe?
    thats what I did to upgrade to 132, and did NOT use the Desktop Manager, per one of the nice folks here suggestion!

thank you!
    05-27-09 02:53 PM
    I have read a great many posts stating .148 is worth a try and how to do the upgrade, but I have not been able to find a link as to where I can get the actual download. Can someone point me in the right direction. Hate looking like a newbie, but thanks in advance.
    05-27-09 02:55 PM
    OS subforum>there is a thread for the .148 leak...the sticky does NOT have the link...which is a mod fail, i've messaged them AND the mod who started the thread, no responses.
    05-27-09 04:32 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD