View Poll Results: Generally, update to a beta or stay official?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beta / Leak / Hybrid

20 80.00%
  • Official Release

5 20.00%
    Just a suggestion for a sticky ... This is a very popular question ... Anyone who wants to add to the thread I will add points ... And if something like this already exists, my apologies ...

Should I upgrade my Storm past the current official release? Can I trust the betas / leaks / hybrids?

While many people here will say "definitely" upgrade past the official release, users should always think through the idea ... there are always pros and cons. While the reasons for an upgrade are obvious (it's slow, buggy, etc.), the reasons against aren't always so simple...

- First, and most importantly, this is not a "newbie" task. KNOW your 'berry, Desktop Manager, etc. before you attempt it. CrackBerriers have put together a great set of FAQ and such - read through BlackBerry 101. And, check this thread for directions on upgrading, know and understand it! How-to Update to a Leaked / Beta OS

- Know "what" the updates are, and why they're classified as such... "Official" vs. "Beta" vs. "Leak", etc...

- Reason through it. Ask yourself ... Is it against any corporate policy? Also, if you upgrade, you can't call your carrier's support line for issues - because they will tell you to revert back to the official version!

- What if it doesn't work? What if it bricks my phone? These are possibilities, so again - know what to do in these cases.
    How to Downgrade Your OS (with Pix)
    How-To Wipe with JL_Cmder

- READ READ READ. The threads in this topic (Storm Beta OS Discussion) are very helpful, and are the opinions of many, many CB users. That's why they're here ... so use them!

- Quoting radioguinea...
    .. installing an Operating System that was not released by your provider, was done so for a reason. There could and always will be risks/issues/concerns.
    edit: Yes, I know I stole the poll, but figured it would be a good addition for the information if it's stickied.
    Last edited by pi_admin; 03-30-09 at 11:47 AM.
    03-30-09 11:22 AM
    hy guys, im havin problems upgradin my bb. its the bb 9530, 4.7.0.148, platform 4.0.0.181. i wanna go to a newer better os. used to be a verizon now its a t-mo unlocked. tried DM and apploader like 4 times each but still wont work. it shows like it will but after 10 seconds it stops.
    03-29-10 02:28 PM
    Frankgbacoa,

The OP says to READ READ READ. Please read the first post in this thread, the one just above yours, Agian. There you will find several links to instructions on upgrading to leaks, hybrids. Click those links and continue reading. You can subscribe to those helpful threads so you can refer to then easily.

There are many different procedures for upgrading and most work, if you READ them.

Post again when you succeed.
    03-29-10 04:25 PM
    Plus, this is a year old thread... with no other responces... why would you pick this one to post in when there's already plenty of others with directions on what to do or even open up a new one.

I'm starting to think a lot of these recent resurects from years past is due to the lame search that happens when you try and open a new thread... most of which don't even have proper link searches in them anyway.
    03-29-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD