Is there a trend of ppl losing everything when they upgrade thru DM and not losing anything when they upgrade OTA?

I have a few ppl who lean on me for Blackberry assistance, and i'll be helping them upgrade this afternoon, so this would be nice to know. I lost everything upgrading thru DM yesterday, but luckily had done my ONLY backup about 3 weeks ago. Didnt backup my 3rd party apps correctly tho, so I had to download all of those again.

Anyways, is this the case?
    06-01-09 09:52 AM
    i personally like using the dm, it should backup ur apps n data automatically, if u set it to auto backup from the options
    06-01-09 09:54 AM
    i personally like using the dm, it should backup ur apps n data automatically, if u set it to auto backup from the options
    yea, I did mine thru DM. But I have a friend who's a mac user. Can he backup his device on a mac or even use DM? And if he cant, is it possible that he'd lose everything upgrading OTA?
    06-01-09 09:56 AM
    yea, I did mine thru DM. But I have a friend who's a mac user. Can he backup his device on a mac or even use DM? And if he cant, is it possible that he'd lose everything upgrading OTA?
    There has been no pattern. I updated two phones on the same computer through the BlackBerry website/App Loader yesterday... one of them had nothing resored and I had to restore from a backup... the other one restored everything perfectly. The same thing seems to be happening with the OTA. I have read that a lot of people were having issues getting the OTA to work, some people had no issues whatsoever and everything restored, and some people lost contacts/calendars/apps, etc., and had to do a restore anyway.
    06-01-09 09:58 AM
    i dont think mac user can use dm...
    as for ur ota question
    @ota users: answer his ota question; im not sure, since i dont do ota upgrades
    06-01-09 09:58 AM
    considering ota takes so long, im glad i went the dm route

i use a mac but i also have vmware fusion
    06-01-09 10:01 AM
    Using a mac, if you use something like parallel desktop, you should be able to use the desktop manager.
    06-01-09 10:03 AM
    So pretty much, if ur a mac user who's not familiar with all of these additional softwares, ur screwed come software update time because you cant back ur device up?

Is it possible to run DM for 2 separate devices on one computer? Like, could he backup his phone and upgrade thru DM on my pc? I think this was illuded to before by my homegirl Morf32...
    06-01-09 10:16 AM
    I went ota this mornig, seems to be fine. No big difference between .122 and .148 to me. Had to downgrade using dm to .75 which took about an hour or more! After the downgrade, the ota upgrade showed up in the options>advanced options>wireless updates. The process was painless, with one little glitch in fb, gotta monitor the stability of this os to see if it works for me.
    06-01-09 11:23 AM
    I upgraded mine with DM and the phone got completely wiped. I had to go to so much trouble to get a backup file because the hard drive they were on got fried. But I updated my dads using OTA and he didn't lose a single thing. OTA>DM IMO.
    06-01-09 11:34 AM
    Can I backup somebody else's Storm on my DM?
    06-01-09 11:50 AM
    You sure can! DM reads the PIN of each phone and backs up accordingly. I upgraded both my phone and my husband's on my PC... did backups for both, as well as 3rd party backups for both.
    06-01-09 11:52 AM
    Backup/Restore, and Upgrade/Downgrade. I do it constantly with a couple of friends' Storms.
    06-01-09 11:54 AM
    I did the OTA and the only difference seemed to me that it took WAY longer. I would estimate 600-700% longer and my OTA updgrade when extremely smooth.

The OTA updgrade seemed identical to me as when you restore your backup when doing a DM upgrade. I didn't lose anything. If someone is worried about this they can back up there calendar and contacts with google sync wirelessly, if stuffs not backed up they can lose it all for anyreason, not just doing an upgrade. Everyone should backup what they don't want to lose.

You still have to log in again to any 3rd party apps and such.

That being said I am having issues with my memory card not being read completely and with songs playing while muted when the start...maybe I'll go back to .75 since that worked so well for me...well maybe not.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 06-01-09 at 12:01 PM.
    06-01-09 11:55 AM
    You sure can! DM reads the PIN of each phone and backs up accordingly. I upgraded both my phone and my husband's on my PC... did backups for both, as well as 3rd party backups for both.
    Thats the news I needed. Gonna get a few of my "crackberry-less" friends squared away this evening. Thanks folks!
    06-01-09 11:56 AM
    my DM says there is no available update?

i can't figure it out

and don't have time to troll all these threads

can someone give me some info on that?

i have the "wireless upgrade" icon on my homescreen
    06-01-09 11:59 AM
    I upgraded [from .132] using the DM and it was flawless. Didn't lose a thing.
    06-01-09 12:04 PM
    oh, thanks for the help buddy
    06-01-09 12:08 PM
    my DM says there is no available update?

i can't figure it out

and don't have time to troll all these threads

can someone give me some info on that?

i have the "wireless upgrade" icon on my homescreen
    Open your DM. Then plug your phone in go to application loader then click on update software..that should do it for you

On another note I did ota before I went to bed...... Woke up this morning and all I had to do was install the update which took 10 mins. So far its a noticeable change. I finally hit 40mb!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 12:08 PM
    oh, thanks for the help buddy
    haha sorry, I was just posting in general -- wasn't blowing off your question!
    06-01-09 12:11 PM
    I upgraded mine with DM and the phone got completely wiped. I had to go to so much trouble to get a backup file because the hard drive they were on got fried. But I updated my dads using OTA and he didn't lose a single thing. OTA>DM IMO.
    Yeah..that's what happen to my storm when I downloaded the OS through DM..and I lost my browser.. But its nothing a battery pull won't fix..no big deal.
    06-01-09 12:15 PM
    How long has it been taking to upgrade (both by DM and OTA).

Thank you.
    06-01-09 12:17 PM
    haha sorry, I was just posting in general -- wasn't blowing off your question!
    i know...i was just joking around with you

DM won't find the update for me....

stinks cause i did the OTA while at work last night....left...went to a card game and didn't want to install because we were using my phone for music

well...it was running crappy because the download ate up all my App Memory

so i canceled it.....thinking DM would work today for me

i'm just gonna bear and grin it and go OTA now...

side note: DM in the corner where it says "server status"....that says unavailable....that is probably my issue....DM not connecting to blackberry
    06-01-09 12:36 PM
    I tried an ota and it took over an hour and a half to get to 20%. So I cancelled it and did it through DM and not only did I lose my 3rd party apps I lost half my os since it closed while it was loading it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 12:38 PM
    i did the upgrade ota and my phone turned off and wont turn back on and it is just blinking a red light what does that mean?
    06-01-09 02:01 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD