05-29-09 06:18 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi guys, I'm upgrading from a Curve to a Storm as soon as the local shop has stock. It's going to be a device exchange program with the store on warranty.

What are steps that I need to do before I hand over my old Curve? What I should be aware of in regards to my data being removed, how to do a 100% deletion? Am I to expect a big change on how to use a Storm compared to the Curve?

I know I need to record my bb messenger friends to add them over again or send them my new pin. Is one sync good enough to back up everything? I use Missing Sync on my macbook pro. I do have bb desktop installed in XP using vmware too as another option for backup.

I use this for business so just need a heads up before I give it back to the store. Thanks.
    05-18-09 11:42 AM
    First off - don't assume that going from a curve to a storm is an "upgrade". Just use the word "transfer".

That's kinda like "upgrading from a Lincoln to a go-cart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 11:47 AM
    To erase everything on your Storm, go to Options, Security Options, General, press the BB button and select wipe handheld. It will erase all of your information.

Using the Storm compared to the Curve will be different but should still seem familiar. The menu system work the same, etc. It'll probably take you the longest to get used to typing on it more than anything.

Make sure and back up with Desktop Manager to play it 100% safe. You're going to have to re add your BBM contacts by resending the requests.

05-18-09 11:54 AM
    To erase everything on your Storm, go to Options, Security Options, General, press the BB button and select wipe handheld. It will erase all of your information.
    Is this the same process for the Curve? That is what the information needs to be wiped from before he hands it over for the Storm.
    05-18-09 11:58 AM
    Desktop Manager has a "Switch Device" function... it will back up your Curve and transfer all the data to the Storm.

I would back up the Curve using the Desktop Manager's BACKUP function... THEN do the Switch Device... you can start the Switch Device function and finish it later (like if you are going to be trading phones)
    05-18-09 12:08 PM
    First off - don't assume that going from a curve to a storm is an "upgrade". Just use the word "transfer".

That's kinda like "upgrading from a Lincoln to a go-cart.

Oh that was so helpful, thanks for your input.
    05-18-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I see the Wipe Handheld option in the menu as suggested above. That's perfect. I'll make sure to use XP and desktop manager to complete the backup and transfer. Very good to know. Thank you.
    05-18-09 01:25 PM
    Oh that was so helpful, thanks for your input.
    Sorry, I forgot the rule "post must be helpful and not just sarcastic observations by pricks"

However, I did totally forget about the desktop manager "switch device" thing. I actually did go from curve to storm amd used that - worked flawlesly and was very simple.

By the way - I switched back to the curve. Good luck to you.

05-18-09 02:23 PM
    Sorry, I forgot the rule "post must be helpful and not just sarcastic observations by pricks"

However, I did totally forget about the desktop manager "switch device" thing. I actually did go from curve to storm amd used that - worked flawlesly and was very simple.

By the way - I switched back to the curve. Good luck to you.

It's cool, I had to change to something else and that was my only option on Telus. I needed something bigger because my hands were cramping on the Curve after a year now. The trackball was starting to give me problems and dust under the screen was building up. The Storm was comfortable to type on and I tried it many times from my friends and clients who own one. The larger screen helps with my eyes as well!
    05-18-09 06:25 PM
    I'm having issues with the Curve after backing up with Desktop Manager in XP. Seems everything went well but now my contacts don't show up on the Curve. Missing Sync syncs everything with no errors. When I view options in the device address book it tells me I have 177 contacts but nothing is displayed. I tried filters but nothing shows up. Any suggestions?

I was having odd issues with the Curve like it would forget my contacts when I searched or viewed from call logs. It is an error that comes and goes. Why?

Just wanted to figure this out before upgrading to the Storm. Stil waiting for stock from Best Buy.
    05-21-09 12:09 PM
    You say upgrade, I say downgrade...it's all relative
    05-21-09 12:26 PM
    While you're at it, learn the process of upgrading back to the Curve within a few weeks.

Believe me, it'll come in very handy.

05-21-09 12:26 PM
    That really helps my missing contacts situation.

Anyway, I read on some threads that themes may cause these errors. I switched back to a default theme and made sure all filters were off but still don't see all my contacts. I think something is corrupted because I have one entry duplicated about 8 times, then have several contacts that show up, but not all 177 entries. Any suggestions?
    05-21-09 12:36 PM
    Try and restore the backup file you just created.

05-21-09 04:35 PM
    It's been resolved. Had to wipe the handheld and sync again after trying many different solutions. Wiped the 3rd party apps too. Back to new. It's unfortunate because I need to do this again when I get the Storm. That's if the store guy calls me any time soon. :S
    05-21-09 04:47 PM
    Picked up the telus storm yesterday evening and so far so good. I had an interesting visit at the the best buy store when picking it up. 2 other storm users were exchanging their handsets complaining about hardware issues. They scared me through out the visit but wished me good luck in the end.

I'm going to read here first about tips before I ask any questions. It's true about the time I need to invest in getting used to the touch screen process coming from a hardware keyboard. I hope my experience is better than what I've read. (knock on wood)
    05-27-09 10:20 AM
    Let me know after a week if you really think this was a upgrade. I for one don't think so. I can't believe how much this thing freezes up.
    05-27-09 11:37 AM
    Use the phone and form your own opinion. Not every phone reacts the same. Some have issues some don't.

Had the haters had a good experience with their phone they would be performing verbal felacio any chance they get to anyone that would listen about the storm. Instead they do it about the Curve. Whatev, someone out there is still getting it from them LOL
    05-27-09 11:47 AM
    Let me know after a week if you really think this was a upgrade. I for one don't think so. I can't believe how much this thing freezes up.
    Mine has never frozen. Perhaps you jst have a bad phone. Not unheard of for ANY phone ever made.
    05-27-09 11:48 AM
    I will keep this post updated, no intentions to start a new thread.

So far, this has been an upgrade for me. The 8330 ran OS4.5 and already I see a big difference in the way I use the storm. I read the tips in this forum to change the sensitivity of the touch screen & the suggestion of moving the virtual keyboard to the left convenience key. Reading the tips and faqs here has been a great benefit in helping me be patient while I go through the transition.

I agree with TheComebackKidd, if haters had such a great experience we would be hearing iphone bashing everyday as hard as the PC vs MAC debates!
    05-27-09 11:53 AM
    Mine has never frozen. Perhaps you jst have a bad phone. Not unheard of for ANY phone ever made.
    My client's partner is on his second storm and it freezes. First time I've heard that. My other 2 clients never had any problems and they are very non technical users. So I would have heard their screams!
    05-27-09 11:54 AM
    My client's partner is on his second storm and it freezes. First time I've heard that. My other 2 clients never had any problems and they are very non technical users. So I would have heard their screams!
    Exactly. The haters like to project their feelings about the phone onto others as if THEIR experience automatically means that EVERYONES will be the same, and so we shouldn't even bother because X said it sucks. Not so much.....
    05-27-09 11:57 AM
    Exactly. The haters like to project their feelings about the phone onto others as if THEIR experience automatically means that EVERYONES will be the same, and so we shouldn't even bother because X said it sucks. Not so much.....
    I know that's why I didn't listen to the haters until I tried it. Yesterday was difficult sitting beside 2 storm users returning their devices. I got 2 year warranty at best buy to bring it back if I need to anytime for a quick exchange to anything else with the same value. So I'm not worried about hardware failing.
    05-27-09 12:02 PM
    Don't use this phone for business haven't you read the reviews. Emailing will take forever on the storm. I would consider going from the curve to a storm is a downgrade. if you are using it as a toy, that is fine but the storm is not a business phone. You will lose clients from the random reboots to the glitches you won't see them for a few weeks though. I loved the storm when I first got it. Then the storm started

05-27-09 12:15 PM
    Don't use this phone for business haven't you read the reviews. Emailing will take forever on the storm. I would consider going from the curve to a storm is a downgrade. if you are using it as a toy, that is fine but the storm is not a business phone. You will lose clients from the random reboots to the glitches you won't see them for a few weeks though. I loved the storm when I first got it. Then the storm started

You're a funny guy, enjoy your comment.
    05-27-09 12:39 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD