Tonight I noticed that Visual Voicemail had an upgrade in the App Ctr, so I went ahead and upgraded.

But... now the it won't start, I get

"Required permission for Vidual Voicemail can not be set probably due to IT policy restrictions, Phone needs Allow, Please consult with your system admin"

Any ideas on this? Or do I need to burn the midnight oil troubleshooting with our IT group.

thx

Rob
    01-21-09 08:45 PM
    Battery Pull, I had the same problem
    01-21-09 08:46 PM
    I had to do battery pull and make sure my contacts were allowed in the security setting - general settings... and it worked.
    01-21-09 08:49 PM
    Will da upgrade delete all da messages i have saved?
    01-21-09 09:05 PM
    Umm that didn't work, I tried a battery pull, no joy.

Then changed the security setting for my contacts and another battery pull with no change.

Any other ideas?
    01-21-09 09:09 PM
    Upgraded VVM (I am reminded once again that if it ain't broke don't upgrade it), and I get the same error msg no matter what I do. I tried to change the permissions to "allow" phone, but that option is not available. Battery pull makes no difference. Short of getting my hands around the neck of whatever IT bonehead is responsible for the policy settings, what else can I do?

01-21-09 11:42 PM
    Upgraded VVM (I am reminded once again that if it ain't broke don't upgrade it), and I get the same error msg no matter what I do. I tried to change the permissions to "allow" phone, but that option is not available. Battery pull makes no difference. Short of getting my hands around the neck of whatever IT bonehead is responsible for the policy settings, what else can I do?

Yep this is going to put a dent in my day - getting on the phone and waiting for someone to figure it out - MUST REMEMBER NO CHANGE IS GOOD
    01-22-09 06:19 AM
    has anyone figureed this out yet? tech support is no help, i have tried to wipe, delete, reinstall...our bes shows same permissions as everyone else, or how can i get the old version back
    01-22-09 01:27 PM
    On the phone with Verizon, not looking good - they will open an escalation ticket (48hr response).

My IT group denied any knowledge.
    01-22-09 02:22 PM
    Hrm. all the issues I had with VVM went away with the upgraded VMM software and then again with the .90 leaked update.
    01-22-09 02:54 PM
    has anyone figureed this out yet? tech support is no help, i have tried to wipe, delete, reinstall...our bes shows same permissions as everyone else, or how can i get the old version back
    No news on yet. Tried hard reset and soft reset, re-activating on the BES, but no change.

Tomorrow I'll get them to remove me from the BES, do a reset and then get back on the BES. I'll let you know.
    01-22-09 09:52 PM
    after two days talking to verizon and my IT ended up deleting VVM. they even added me as an admin and nothing worked. hope somebody can find an awnser.
    01-22-09 10:17 PM
    The plot thickens

...... no call back from Vz tech support, but did get myself removed andput back onto the BES, I did another hard reset.

Before starting enterprise activation VVM was still not working, but when Ent Act. started VVM started working (weird)

Only problem now is that the Enterprise Activation is not completing and hangs after the Calendar synch....
    01-23-09 01:50 PM
    I just upgraded mine. didn't know one was available until I found this thread. mine works flawlessly. Sounds like only those on BES are having issues. It doesn't sound like it is a Verizon issue but more a permissions issue with your local security polices.
    01-23-09 02:09 PM
    if the problems started post upgrade wouldn't that implicate the upgrade as the culprit? Is there a way to roll back to the earlier ver of vvm? I am the bes admin at my site and I have two people with the same problem as Rob P. vz hasn't been responsive.
    Last edited by big ted; 01-23-09 at 02:35 PM.
    01-23-09 02:30 PM
    Any idea how to roll back to the previous version? Or any other ideas? Or any response from Verizon (yeah right)?

Thanks all!
    01-24-09 01:48 PM
    Any ideas on how to resolve this. I have the same issue as the OP. It is telling my I need to set my phone permission to allow. My IT policy keeps it a prompt, which worked fine with the prior version of VVM. This is very frustrating. Never had a problem with the prior version -- great "upgrade."
    01-25-09 08:33 PM
    I am having the same problem. If anyone knows were to download the old version of visual voicemail (1.19.2 I believe), I would love to downgrade. That version worked fine for me.
    01-26-09 09:15 AM
    I am having the same problem. If anyone knows were to download the old version of visual voicemail (1.19.2 I believe), I would love to downgrade. That version worked fine for me.
    You can not download older versions. this is a VZW app, and as such it is not possible to roll back to older versions. You need to check your IT policies, as this issue only seems to affect those using a company BES account.
    01-26-09 09:33 AM
    also being discussed here

forums.crackberry.com/f132/90-visual-voice-mail-issue-142907/index2.html

seems to be VZW/RIM issue with VVM App update and BES.
    01-26-09 09:55 AM
    I have been posting on the other thread but I believe it has to do something with the upgrade since I was always on BES and the prior version worked great. Unfortunately, my IT department is stumped since they believe they did everything to change the permissions from Custom to Allow. Maybe if everybody who has this issue cancels VVM all at once Verizon will rectify the issue.
    01-26-09 10:30 AM
    I am having the same problem. Still using .75 software. Visual Voicemail worked great for several weeks until I foolishly hit the upgrade button when prompted by VVM over the weekend.

Now, I can't access VVM at all and get the annoying error message. I called Verizon and they were no help.

Does anyone have a file download of the previous VVM software that worked fine?
    01-26-09 11:33 AM
    My IT department is working with RIM and VZW, but no luck so far. I believe this is a VVM issue, and that the new version of VVM refuses to take you through the necessary prompts for permission. Instead, it sees that "Allow" is not checked and stops, instead of going through the prompts like the prior version. I believe this issue will affect VVM for most BES users based on the BES settings employed by the administrator.

My experience from today:

I used JL_Cmder to Reset to Factory Settings, rather than doing an OS wipe and reinstall of the entire OS and tried accessing VVM at various times in the reactivation process.

1)Prior to restoring my previous settings, I was able to login to VVM without any problems, changing all of my Phone permissions to "Allow." VVM opened and retrieved all of my messages.

2) After doing a restore of all of my data and settings, but before enterprise activation and reboot to change necessary IT settings, VVM still worked without a hitch.

3) After Enterprise Activiation complete and reboot, I can no longer log in. Since Enterprise activation resets the phone application permissions from "Allow" to "Prompt," this has to be the issue. In the prior version of VVM, it just went through all of the necessary prompts, which is why there was never a problem.

This is something that VZW should be able to remedy easily by making the prior version of VVM available to BES users. Of course, they won't.
    Last edited by tomiwah; 01-26-09 at 01:05 PM.
    01-26-09 12:59 PM
    things i found out:
    1. if you perform a re install of vvm you can set the permissions to allow during the install process. so vvm works.
    2. once they kick off the ent activation process, the devices hang on the calandar sync and sit there for hours and never complete.
    01-26-09 01:52 PM
    things i found out:
    1. if you perform a re install of vvm you can set the permissions to allow during the install process. so vvm works.
    2. once they kick off the ent activation process, the devices hang on the calandar sync and sit there for hours and never complete.
    I had no problems with No. 2, and No. 1 works for me only before BES activation. If already activated, I can delete and reinstall as many times as I want and I cannot edit the permissions to Allow. But I don't blame it on BES or our IT policies because nothing has changed other than a new version of VVM.
    Last edited by tomiwah; 01-26-09 at 03:45 PM.
    01-26-09 02:38 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD