How does this work? If RIM or VZ has a new OS for the storm sometime after the release, is this done OTA? Download to PC then desktop manager? Do I need any special tech skills.

I apologize in advance for posting a question that hasn't been asked 597 times in the past 2 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 03:26 PM
    Download from RIM's site to PC, then update via USB cable using the Desktop Manager application. Its quite easy and straight forward todo.
    11-07-08 03:32 PM
    I hear they are going to begin doing OTA updates where you will be prompted to download the new update when you turn on your phone, or something to that nature. I could be wrong, of course. Also, you will more than likely always have the option to download to PC and then manually load and install it onto the phone.
    11-07-08 03:40 PM
    It's not really OTA like you download an application OTA. It still involves hooking the device up to comp w/ USB cable. Regardless, it's easy Hal. D/l OS, install to comp, Plug in device, Open DM, select update, and it updates.
    11-07-08 03:45 PM
    It's not really OTA like you download an application OTA. It still involves hooking the device up to comp w/ USB cable. Regardless, it's easy Hal. D/l OS, install to comp, Plug in device, Open DM, select update, and it updates.
    CX, something that I want to know, and please excuse me if this question has been asked before, but after reading all of the threads, it doesn't seem to have been addressed yet, but does the Storm have wifi?
    11-07-08 03:53 PM
    CX, something that I want to know, and please excuse me if this question has been asked before, but after reading all of the threads, it doesn't seem to have been addressed yet, but does the Storm have wifi?
    11-07-08 04:02 PM
    hahahahaha
    11-07-08 04:15 PM
    Ahhh hahaha!!!! Yes brian it does have wifi.... anything else ya need, come to me! Haha! Just kidding don't come to me. CX is there for ya.....

P.S. It doesn't have wifi

EDIT: Good god I hope you were makin a joke keith.
    Last edited by Tumaz04; 11-07-08 at 06:58 PM.
    11-07-08 06:56 PM
    There's a whole tutorial on cb dedicated to upgrading an OS. I would post the link but bb doesn't have tabbed browsing and I'm too lazy to go back and forth. The tutorial is really very good. If you're not familiar with the procedure I would bookmark it.

11-07-08 07:00 PM
    So what are the OTA updates in 4.5 and above, notification of availability?
    11-07-08 07:06 PM
    If i do ota software upgrade and you have an unlocked storm will it lock the storm back to its original carrier?
    Last edited by Romeo III; 11-08-08 at 12:21 AM.
    11-07-08 07:26 PM
    I hear they are going to begin doing OTA updates where you will be prompted to download the new update when you turn on your phone, or something to that nature. I could be wrong, of course. Also, you will more than likely always have the option to download to PC and then manually load and install it onto the phone.
    OTA os updates are being used on a few VZW phones but not on Blackberry's.. i hope they will roll this feature out more but will just have to wait and see
    11-08-08 11:03 AM
    OTA updates from what i have experienced are H ELL !!! I had the samsung instinct and they were rolling out ota updates every couple days they took forever to download and then forever to install , 3/4 of the time the update would crash the phone i would have to restart and it would do the same thing...i love the updates from comp more reliable.
    11-08-08 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD