I have a blackberry Storm 9530, running on .75 that I bought while studying in the US (On Verizon). Before I left I unlocked it. Now I am back in my home country but I haven't activated BIS or BES. The phone is running with my old GSM SIM card from back home. Can I still update to .148 (I know all about deleting the vendor file) with no problems?
    05-31-09 04:34 AM
    yeah there should be no issues even if you do the complete wipe and reinstall the OS your phone will be unlocked. make sure you make a backup before you upgrade though
    05-31-09 05:45 AM
    Thanx for the response. I know the phone will always be unlocked. The thing I am worried about is being able to regain full phone functionality without having any data plan activated. Just voice.
    05-31-09 05:57 AM
    Just voice, and SMS text messages should be fine.

The extra features like MMS, web, personal email, anything that relies on Service Books, might be an issue after the upgrade if you have it working now.

When I followed the steps to get all the features of my VZW Storm working on my T-Mobile account (using the SIM from my T-Mobile Curve/8320), I had to repeat those steps again to get all the T-Mobile service books back on the Storm after the OS upgrade, even if I did a Backup/Restore as part of the upgrade.

It seems the Backup/restore, even though it does backup/restore the service books, wasn't enough, and I had to manually follow the entire process again to get the service book controlled features working again.
    05-31-09 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD