Was reading one thread...and posted in the wrong one! Here we go for real:

Well here is the deal - it would be MUCH cheaper and easier for RIM to enhance the OS of the Storm 1 and send it to everyone than to spend all this time creating a new device complete with new marketing and all that stuff. I'm thinking we have two options at play here as to why it came out so early - we knew a successor would come, but not this early:

1) The original Storm cannot be improved enough on firmware updates alone.

2) I think more likely -- this is just a cosmetic upgrade with perhaps a better feature or two inside (like WiFi, or 256MB of App Memory combined with better battery management). Remember this means you'd only start around 160MB of app space. Huge by what we see today, but not 256!!!

I think it's very unlikely that RIM/Verizon release this thing in the current year. I think it would go to other carriers first as a GSM Storm. All devices will be on 5.0.X, and this Storm will have a few features that make it more attractive but not enough to completely upgrade or switch carriers.

In the end, Storm owners shouldn't feel TOO screwed (despite my first post in this thread) because apps and data plans are what are driving the consumer smartphone market these days. It may take months but you will get a Storm 1, Storm 2, 9630, etc. all with stable OS's and memory to run apps (yes, even the 9530).

So what comes after the OS is stable? What increased functionality are you looking for once the basic bugs are locked down? The answer is apps, and until the AppWorld is improved it doesn't matter if you're on the Storm 1 or Storm 2, the iPhone will still be the most popular device out there.

Ask yourself - if your accelerometer worked tomorrow, if your MMS forwarding would work tomorrow, if *228 worked tomorrow - yes, you would be happy, but what about next month? Without new apps you aren't really gaining that much.
    1) Wrong, as it has been, and will be in users hands as carriers test OS 5.0 for release.
    05-15-09 05:58 AM
    I have some PRETTY GOOD connections to people with direct knowledge of this phone, and they are trying to relase this sometime in the August to November time period, a few months after the new Curve. I can CONFIRM there is WIFI. They are gonna really push the fact there is WIFI. This is because some people use the Storm to ether and with the limit it could cause a very bad result when you get your bill. Also another reason for WIFI is so you can "Expand the World's Largest 3G Network Virtually Everwhere."
    1, you will NOT see this in august.

2. Verizon is going to eventually setup a new wifi network in their coverage area, similar to how ATT has it, and would like their OWN phones to take advantage of it.
    05-15-09 06:00 AM
    1) Wrong, as it has been, and will be in users hands as carriers test OS 5.0 for release.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now to just wait for either RIM to get a good build to Verizon, or Verizon to pass a build that is good enough.

Or, just as good, wait for a leak
    05-15-09 06:02 AM
    Radio, Thanks for the info.
    05-15-09 06:07 AM
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now to just wait for either RIM to get a good build to Verizon, or Verizon to pass a build that is good enough.

Or, just as good, wait for a leak
    I cant even believe I had to reiterate that the Storm everyone uses now will work great on OS 5.0, just like any new hardware revisions that come out.

Not saying I had to tell you , but as I said in another thread, RIM did their job; they brought themselves into the 15 to 18 category in a hurry with this phone.
    05-15-09 06:07 AM
    Thanks, Radio. I look forward to the potential new possibilities with the Storm 2
    05-15-09 06:10 AM
    Hey Radio thanks for all your information.

Quick question.

Do you feel in your opinion that the new surepress is significantly better or just a minor upgrade like the rest of the device?
    05-15-09 06:13 AM
    I fell in love with this refreshed Storm / Oden. I hope to see it this year, I definitely want a Storm 2 ...
    05-15-09 09:05 AM
    I cant even believe I had to reiterate that the Storm everyone uses now will work great on OS 5.0, just like any new hardware revisions that come out.

Not saying I had to tell you , but as I said in another thread, RIM did their job; they brought themselves into the 15 to 18 category in a hurry with this phone.
    So we're all 15 to 18 years old again? Saaawwweeet! I can relive high school again... but this time, with today's knowledge. I'll pOWNe that place.
    05-15-09 09:25 AM

2. Verizon is going to eventually setup a new wifi network in their coverage area, similar to how ATT has it, and would like their OWN phones to take advantage of it.

You just blew my mind...
    05-15-09 09:54 AM
    I seriously cannot believe this thread exists. wow. lol.
    05-15-09 10:06 AM
    So, like "Big Tobacco" and "Big Alcohol" hooking kiddies early, now we have "Big Phone"! Get em on the crackberry early and they're customers for life!
    05-15-09 10:10 AM
    Radio, in your opinion, if both Storm 1 and 2 are going to be running identical O/S's, do you think the Storm 2 will be more fluid in its operation? Not sure how to really phrase that better, guess I am just curious if you think the Storm 2 will be significantly more responsive and smooth. I am pretty happy the way more Storm is on .132, and expect when a 5.0 drops, it will be even more responsive. I like the looks of Storm 2, but beyond the possibility of wifi, I probably would wait for next version unless it is that more responsive. I would imagine that there will be some hardware improvements in Storm 2 as technology always moves forward, but will they in themselves make a big impact is the real question.
    05-15-09 12:11 PM
    Good, RIM came through

You guys should of never seen that to begin with

Time to move on for now
    05-15-09 12:42 PM
    Good, RIM came through

You guys should of never seen that to begin with

Time to move on for now
    lol... party pooper...
    05-15-09 12:46 PM
    lol... party pooper...
    Sorry!
    05-15-09 01:04 PM
    Don't know if anyone has seen this from BG, but here it is anyway.

The Storm 2�s screen does not press in like SurePress, rather it operates more like traditional capacitive touch screen panels. We�re not sure if the rumored TruePress is just localized haptic feedback or what, but we can�t imagine RIM abandoning their entire ******* selling point on the Storm.
    05-15-09 01:32 PM
    Don't know if anyone has seen this from BG, but here it is anyway.

The Storm 2�s screen does not press in like SurePress, rather it operates more like traditional capacitive touch screen panels. We�re not sure if the rumored TruePress is just localized haptic feedback or what, but we can�t imagine RIM abandoning their entire ******* selling point on the Storm.

Yeah its all speculation at this point. A few people know for sure, but the rest is just speculation.
    05-15-09 02:20 PM
    Yeah its all speculation at this point. A few people know for sure, but the rest is just speculation.
    The new input method is better than the current method. There's a new sensor, and it functions in a different way. When I say better, I mean it, but I also thought SurePress is/was a good idea. But this is definitely different. And there is still a form of tactile feedback.
    05-15-09 02:28 PM
    Is it being called oden?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 02:33 PM
    That kind bums me out that it will have a touch only screen, I mean don't

get me wrong i love the click but sometime i do wish it did not click
    05-15-09 02:36 PM
    The new input method is better than the current method. There's a new sensor, and it functions in a different way. When I say better, I mean it, but I also thought SurePress is/was a good idea. But this is definitely different. And there is still a form of tactile feedback.
    Very interesting! I must say, I'm one of the few who seem to love surepress. Ive said before that I'm not sure I could go back to a regular touch screen. But you've peaked my interest.
    05-15-09 02:49 PM
    Very interesting! I must say, I'm one of the few who seem to love surepress. Ive said before that I'm not sure I could go back to a regular touch screen. But you've peaked my interest.
    I totally dig SurePress also. And with the right software it works well. I think the technology has been diminished a good bit by the not-so-good software thus far, but overall the technology is good and functionality wise is great. I can't say too much about this new one but I feel sure people will like it.
    05-15-09 02:52 PM
    I like the surepress as well. I wonder if the problems people have with dust getting under the screen has anything to do with the change. I personaly haven't had that problem but could see how it might be an issue. On the pics that were up earlier, it looked like any gaps between the touchscreen and handset had been eliminated.
    05-15-09 02:55 PM
    After the Storm one debacle I am not jumping to the Storm 2 unless I see results after the first few months. Not that I care since I have leaked OS installed but Verizon is pissing off a lot of people who don't know about this site and are stuck with .75.
    05-15-09 02:57 PM
157 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD