These pictures make me want to hate RIM. But i just can't leave i need my fix!!!!!!!!
    05-14-09 10:02 PM
    What is a proximity sensor? Judging by its name it has something to do with how close something is to it but what exactly does it do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 10:26 PM

Just wondering what is this thing on top left corner
    camera....
    05-14-09 10:27 PM
    Just an FYI, this is in a very very early stage.
    Got it... send me one.
    05-14-09 10:28 PM
    camera....
    Or simply......... a bubble under the protective plastic.
    05-14-09 10:29 PM
    What is a proximity sensor? Judging by its name it has something to do with how close something is to it but what exactly does it do?

If that's what it is, it shuts down the backlight and deactivates the screen when you hold it to your face. So you don't activate the screen while your on a call.
    Last edited by reo; 05-14-09 at 10:35 PM.
    05-14-09 10:32 PM
    Ah I see.....well that makes sense bc the bottom buttons are touch sensitive now. That's def. Not a bubble in the plastic....

05-14-09 10:38 PM
    So is this Storm 2 that RIM's CEO said was being worked on or the 9520 for At&t or a Storm Refresh? Radio?
    05-14-09 10:39 PM
    If that's what it is, it shuts down the backlight and deactivates the screen when you hold it to your face. So you don't activate the screen while your on a call.
    You guys do realize that the iPhone has no such "proximity sensor" right? There's no minute thing on the front of it that tell is it's close to your body. On the iPhone, the screen is the proximity sensor. Next time you have one in your hand, put something larger then a couple of fingers close to the screen, like your forearm or part of your palm... it'll turn the screen off. The same field that is used to detect finger placement on the screen is used to turn off the backlight. Whenever if sees a large field break, it dims the backlight and turns off the screen. Try it and see.
    05-14-09 10:41 PM
    You guys do realize that the iPhone has no such "proximity sensor" right? There's no minute thing on the front of it that tell is it's close to your body. On the iPhone, the screen is the proximity sensor. Next time you have one in your hand, put something larger then a couple of fingers close to the screen, like your forearm or part of your palm... it'll turn the screen off. The same field that is used to detect finger placement on the screen is used to turn off the backlight. Whenever if sees a large field break, it dims the backlight and turns off the screen. Try it and see.
    I am looking at pics of the iPhone, and there is a proximity sensor at the top part of the phone.
    05-14-09 10:47 PM
    From the iLounge review.

"On a final screen-related note, Apple has made a small change to the locations of the hidden ambient light and proximity sensors, shifting them from locations above the iPhone�s ear speaker to three positions off to the speaker�s left: two proximity sensors on bottom, and an ambient light sensor above them. We have heard that this change was designed to make the proximity sensors better at detecting the presence of a nearby face, but we never had an issue with the prior design."

source: Review: Apple iPhone 3G (8GB/16GB) | iLounge
    05-14-09 10:53 PM
    I am looking at pics of the iPhone, and there is a proximity sensor at the top part of the phone.
    Oh yeah, its there. Its above the ear speaker. Kinda hard to see, but its there.
    05-14-09 10:55 PM
    Have one in your hand... then do what I said above. You can even hold the phone perpendicular to your forearm and it turns off. I have small forearms and it trips it. I can put 3 fingers (like Scout's honor) on the lower part of the screen and it trips it.
    05-14-09 10:56 PM
    civic was WRONG about something?!?!?! this isnt possible...

...wait we arent talking about the Storm are we? Nevermind...shes only a pro with the storm! :P
    05-14-09 10:56 PM

...wait we arent talking about the Storm are we? Nevermind...shes only a pro with the storm! :P
    Civic is a girl?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    05-14-09 10:58 PM

This NEVER happens.... The only time I'll ever be wrong is about the time you start making a theme for FREE.
    05-14-09 11:00 PM
    This NEVER happens.... The only time I'll ever be wrong is about the time you start making a theme for FREE.

*grabs heart*...it hurts now...thanks....
    05-14-09 11:01 PM

*grabs heart*...it hurts now...thanks....
    I break hearts everywhere.... yours is no different.
    05-14-09 11:05 PM
    Was reading one thread...and posted in the wrong one! Here we go for real:

Well here is the deal - it would be MUCH cheaper and easier for RIM to enhance the OS of the Storm 1 and send it to everyone than to spend all this time creating a new device complete with new marketing and all that stuff. I'm thinking we have two options at play here as to why it came out so early - we knew a successor would come, but not this early:

1) The original Storm cannot be improved enough on firmware updates alone.

2) I think more likely -- this is just a cosmetic upgrade with perhaps a better feature or two inside (like WiFi, or 256MB of App Memory combined with better battery management). Remember this means you'd only start around 160MB of app space. Huge by what we see today, but not 256!!!

I think it's very unlikely that RIM/Verizon release this thing in the current year. I think it would go to other carriers first as a GSM Storm. All devices will be on 5.0.X, and this Storm will have a few features that make it more attractive but not enough to completely upgrade or switch carriers.

In the end, Storm owners shouldn't feel TOO screwed (despite my first post in this thread) because apps and data plans are what are driving the consumer smartphone market these days. It may take months but you will get a Storm 1, Storm 2, 9630, etc. all with stable OS's and memory to run apps (yes, even the 9530).

So what comes after the OS is stable? What increased functionality are you looking for once the basic bugs are locked down? The answer is apps, and until the AppWorld is improved it doesn't matter if you're on the Storm 1 or Storm 2, the iPhone will still be the most popular device out there.

Ask yourself - if your accelerometer worked tomorrow, if your MMS forwarding would work tomorrow, if *228 worked tomorrow - yes, you would be happy, but what about next month? Without new apps you aren't really gaining that much.
    05-14-09 11:05 PM
    I actually like the new design. I like how they made the front all one integrated thing. I'm so over babying the current version. I'm constantly worried the buttons are going to snag on something. I welcome this new version.... and this sort of thing doesn't happen every day, so when I say it, it must be good.

All I want to hear next is 512MB memory and WIFI and I'm good. (I'm however a bit pessimistic and think it might be just 256MB... sigh...)
    05-14-09 11:08 PM
    I actually like the new design. I like how they made the front all one integrated thing. I'm so over babying the current version. I'm constantly worried the buttons are going to snag on something. I welcome this new version.... and this sort of thing doesn't happen every day, so when I say it, it must be good.
    But I like that BB click...it has a nicer feel than a screen click
    05-14-09 11:09 PM
    I break hearts everywhere.... yours is no different.
    =\ you are SO cruel...wanna beta test with me? I need somebody kinky on the team...hahahahaha...

...jk....

.....not really....

.....but seriously....

PS: 1gb app memory FTW!
    05-14-09 11:11 PM
    Who cares about the storm. They should have called it the natural disaster. Having a blackberry without a keyboard is like having an ipod without a scroll wheel. Similarly, having sex with a rubber on is like eating steak with a balloon around your tongue. Do you see what I mean people?

05-14-09 11:13 PM
    Who cares about the storm. They should have called it the natural disaster. Having a blackberry without a keyboard is like having an ipod without a scroll wheel. Similarly, having sex with a rubber on is like eating steak with a balloon around your tongue. Do you see what I mean people?

i DEFINATELY see what you mean about the last part you just said....
    05-14-09 11:14 PM
    Who cares about the storm. They should have called it the natural disaster. Having a blackberry without a keyboard is
    like having an ipod without a scroll wheel. Similarly, having sex with a rubber on is like eating steak with a balloon around your tongue. Do you see what I mean people?

The iPod never had a scroll wheel either...just a volume tuner with 4 standalone buttons...

Things have to change eventually. Just look at the millions (and millions!) of Storms they have sold thus far.
    05-14-09 11:15 PM
157 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD