so, i actually work for t-mobile, from what i understand it is extremely unlikely that we are ever gonna get this phone (bastards...), but i HAVE TO HAVE this phone!

I've been seeing these "unlocked" 9500 storms all over the internet anywhere from $700 to $1200 . Will these things even work here? I know they are quad band gsm (which is good) and they presumably use the same blackberry data plan that i use on my curve, i know 3g is iffy because t-mo just launched it and i heard its frequency is either 1700 or 2100 and the storm supports 2100?

Can anyone help clear all this up (or has anyone tried it yet)?! If it works, i'll pay what i have to pay to get my hands on one.

thanks!
    11-15-08 12:28 PM
    You will be able to use it on TMo, but it will only be for EDGE, no 3G speeds available. Be careful though, if it is a pre-production model, the PIN will be blocked and the BB data plan will not be able to be added to it.
    11-15-08 12:34 PM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up that these storms really exist. The phone has been on the market for not even 2 days, you really think they have already broke through the sim-lock? Don't think so..
    11-15-08 12:35 PM
    The SIM lock? Its easy, just need the unlock code. This isnt an iphone, that is hardcoded in, it just takes a codse, available from the carrier, or RIM, and entered into the phone.
    11-15-08 12:38 PM
    true... i'm leary of all of these listings. i just don't want to wait til next year for us to "maybe" get it. I love t-mobile, and i'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Let me throw it out there though: RIM you let us all down with the STUPID decision to make this wonderful phone exclusive to the most expensive network, you would have made a serious killing if you made it available for everyone.

so sad...
    11-15-08 12:39 PM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up that these storms really exist. The phone has been on the market for not even 2 days, you really think they have already broke through the sim-lock? Don't think so..
    It's very possible to get the unlock code in 2 days. Although I doubt it's happened, and none of the online stores have started selling them yet.
    11-15-08 12:39 PM
    so, i actually work for t-mobile, from what i understand it is extremely unlikely that we are ever gonna get this phone (bastards...), but i HAVE TO HAVE this phone!

I've been seeing these "unlocked" 9500 storms all over the internet anywhere from $700 to $1200 . Will these things even work here? I know they are quad band gsm (which is good) and they presumably use the same blackberry data plan that i use on my curve, i know 3g is iffy because t-mo just launched it and i heard its frequency is either 1700 or 2100 and the storm supports 2100?

Can anyone help clear all this up (or has anyone tried it yet)?! If it works, i'll pay what i have to pay to get my hands on one.

thanks!
    If price is no object, you might wanna wait until Verizon releases it next Friday and pick one up from them. The 9530 is also quad band GSM so you can unlock it and use it on TMO, but yea...no 3G as TMO decided to use the 1700Mhz band. Storm only supports 2100Mhz...you could switch to AT&T.

e.n.
    11-15-08 12:56 PM
    I've been seeing a lot of Storm 9530 and 9500 (unlocked) online lately for around $250 and up (just Google "blackberry storm 9500 unlocked" for example). Hmmm... Wonder how legit are these sites... It seems like all of them are sellers from UK and their prices are "too good to be true" (I'm tempted to get one actually lol). Anybody have any knowledge or have seen these similar sites I'm referring to?
    11-19-08 09:06 AM
    Going by a few post on this forum the unlock codes aren't out yet so these "unlocked" Storms I would be very careful with. Vodafone are not releasing unlock codes so I'm not sure how people selling unlocked Vodafone Storms on ebay are doing it.
    11-19-08 09:13 AM
    verizon version will not work in the US on any carrier other than verizon!
    11-19-08 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD