I recently made the switch over from the 9700 to a Verizon Unlocked Storm 2. I'm not having really many issues so far other than the known lack of 3G band issue. I started this thread just to see among Crackberry who has one and how its running. Which OS you have and what apps you find to be working smoothly and what not. I'm starting to get used to EDGE speeds again but the touchscreen aspect is MUCH better than the S1 and everyone can say that. I've downloaded WeatherEye, Poynt, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, StormSlide Beta, Viigo and they all seem to be working. Google Maps 4.0 has issues and gets frozen also I found some issues with Wordpress acting a little funky while trying to work in it.

So yeah thats basically it....just wanted to see if there were any other tips or tricks around for using the phone on the network and also whats working well and whats not!
    04-12-10 08:04 PM
    jiggawhat 23

I recently gave up my Bold for a Storm 2.

My Storm is branded Verizon, but unlocked it works very nicely on the Rogers network. I particularly like the size of the screen and the ease of use of the touch screen - though typing and editing e-mail still sometimes poses problems for me (big thumbs!!??)

I have installed WeatherEye Touch, Google Maps v4, BB Messenger and StormSlider. All work very well except Google Maps which freezes with any search.

EDGE seems to be sufficient as a lot of the time I am within WiFi range.

I am a particular fan of BB Maps - especially its ability to keep the direction of travel at the top of the screen.
    04-12-10 09:07 PM
    Have mine unlocked and although I don't use it on Rogers, I do use it on T-Mobile when I go to the US. Hate the Telus roaming charges!

No real problems other than 2g instead of 3g...... I'm sure there's away to get it onto 3g, but I usually use WiFi when I travel, so no big deal to me.

R...

I recently made the switch over from the 9700 to a Verizon Unlocked Storm 2. I'm not having really many issues so far other than the known lack of 3G band issue. I started this thread just to see among Crackberry who has one and how its running. Which OS you have and what apps you find to be working smoothly and what not. I'm starting to get used to EDGE speeds again but the touchscreen aspect is MUCH better than the S1 and everyone can say that. I've downloaded WeatherEye, Poynt, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, StormSlide Beta, Viigo and they all seem to be working. Google Maps 4.0 has issues and gets frozen also I found some issues with Wordpress acting a little funky while trying to work in it.

So yeah thats basically it....just wanted to see if there were any other tips or tricks around for using the phone on the network and also whats working well and whats not!
    04-12-10 09:28 PM
    both good things to hear guys. I appreciate the feedback knowing i'm not the only one lol It does feel as if my phone isn't reaching its full potential with that 3G being there. I read a post on here awhile back on how to get 3G to work by changing 'Network Technology' to 1XEV and it started to roam and eventually found a 3G connection. I'm not too sure who's service it was as it didn't say Rogers but came up with a white triangle beside the connection type. Anyways...thanks a lot guys.
    04-12-10 09:45 PM
    I have a storm2 on rogers adn Im on my third os .607 just loaded today I had countless issues with the two prevoius os systems the biggest being screen freezing a few times daily I hope this works if not Im back to my 9700 permantely I dont care about the 3 g short coming I wanta relaible phone period
    04-12-10 10:02 PM
    I'm using an unlocked verizon Storm2 on Rogers. No problems so far.
    Running .607
    04-12-10 10:17 PM
    I was using an iphone 3G for a personal phone and Curve 8310 for work.
    I gave the iphone to my wife and now use the Storm2 for work and personal use.
    I love the surepress screen on the Storm, way easier and more accurate than the screen on the iphone.
    No data plan with work, so I use wifi for browsing, downloading apps, etc. There are a lot of free wifi hotspots in my area.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 04-12-10 at 10:25 PM.
    04-12-10 10:18 PM
    I was using an iphone 3G for a personal phone and Curve 8310 for work.
    I gave the iphone to my wife and now use the Storm2 for work and personal use.
    I love the surepress screen on the Storm, way easier and more accurate than the screen on the iphone.
    No data plan with work, so I use wifi for browsing, downloading apps, etc. There are a lot of free wifi hotspots in my area.
    thats encouraging Like I said I just did the upload today I will report back I really hope it works without to many problems
    04-12-10 10:30 PM
    It would be nice if RIM offers the Storm3 on Telus, Bell and Rogers when it is released this fall.
    I hate this exclusivity BS. Although I think Bell is offering the Storm2 now as well as Telus.
    04-12-10 10:30 PM
    Been running the S2 (VZW branded unlocked on Rogers) since the week it came out. Have had it on each OS that has leaked for the 9550 without any serious problems or complaints.

I started this thread just to see among Crackberry who has one and how its running. Which OS you have and what apps you find to be working smoothly and what not.!
    The only S2 supported apps that won't run are those pushed specifically by VZW for their customers (eg VCast App Store, BING, Skype...). Otherwise you'll be good to go.

I read a post on here awhile back on how to get 3G to work by changing 'Network Technology' to 1XEV and it started to roam and eventually found a 3G connection. I'm not too sure who's service it was as it didn't say Rogers but came up with a white triangle beside the connection type.
    I wouldn't be messing around with that as you are switching to a CDMA band (not supported by Rogers) so you'll be hit with roaming charges. Don't think it'll be worth it for 3G. I'd stick to EDGE and WiFi
    04-12-10 11:00 PM
    Been running the S2 (VZW branded unlocked on Rogers) since the week it came out. Have had it on each OS that has leaked for the 9550 without any serious problems or complaints.

The only S2 supported apps that won't run are those pushed specifically by VZW for their customers (eg VCast App Store, BING, Skype...). Otherwise you'll be good to go.

I wouldn't be messing around with that as you are switching to a CDMA band (not supported by Rogers) so you'll be hit with roaming charges. Don't think it'll be worth it for 3G. I'd stick to EDGE and WiFi
    Yeah I figured the whole roaming aspect would come into play once I switched the setting. Good idea to stick with EDGE and WiFi for sure lol Yeah the exclusivity of these phones is getting a bit much. It does hold a good purpose on drawing customers in but its still a hassle for sure. Hopefully RIM has something good planned for the near future...
    04-13-10 12:45 AM
    Unfortunately for us Rogers customers I don't think the exclusivity played that much a role, more the carrier deciding not to pick up the device.

From what I understand Rogers passed on the Storm line.
    04-13-10 10:25 AM
    sad for all of us Storm2 Rogers users.... EDGE is ok but 3G would have been better - Still prefer using my Storm2 than my backup unit 9700
    04-13-10 10:44 AM
    yeah rogers dropped the ball when they missed on the storm,or did they??I heard that only certain companys get to bid on certain phones or were they not interested in the storm??
    04-13-10 10:56 AM
    Its been almost 24 hours and my phone hasnt had braon freeeze,I will keep my fingers crossed
    04-13-10 01:59 PM
    I don't know how but my S2 on Rogers now says 3G and not edge?! I'm running .517
    04-13-10 02:34 PM
    I don't know how but my S2 on Rogers now says 3G and not edge?! I'm running .517
    It's impossible to get 3G running on Rogers.

Go to Options / Mobile Network and check the "Network Technology" (should be set at GSM). I would also set "Network Mode" to 2G only - since you don't need to searching for non-existent 3G bands, this will save considerable battery

Also make sure Mobile Network shows ROGERS - if not you are roaming!
    04-13-10 02:40 PM
    for some reason it switched to roaming and i wasn't connected to BIS, corrected now. Edge only... i hate the buzzing Edge causes around speakers
    04-13-10 02:53 PM
    why did rogers pass onthis phone??????
    04-13-10 03:09 PM
    Update its been almost 48 hours since .607 os install and wow iys still working,It did reboot on me when I was playing with thwe camera yesterday but I may have been the cause of that so far so good,bettery life sucks thats for sure but it isnt freezing on me
    04-14-10 03:16 PM
    agreed. battery life isn't the greatest on this phone. I'm possilby thinking about ordering an extended life battery from the crackberry store....it seems like it'd be worth it.
    04-14-10 08:25 PM
    agreed. battery life isn't the greatest on this phone. I'm possilby thinking about ordering an extended life battery from the crackberry store....it seems like it'd be worth it.
    oh really??do you think there anygood???
    04-14-10 08:35 PM
    jiggawhat 23

I recently gave up my Bold for a Storm 2.

My Storm is branded Verizon, but unlocked it works very nicely on the Rogers network. I particularly like the size of the screen and the ease of use of the touch screen - though typing and editing e-mail still sometimes poses problems for me (big thumbs!!??)

I have installed WeatherEye Touch, Google Maps v4, BB Messenger and StormSlider. All work very well except Google Maps which freezes with any search.

EDGE seems to be sufficient as a lot of the time I am within WiFi range.

I am a particular fan of BB Maps - especially its ability to keep the direction of travel at the top of the screen.
    Are the speeds on your BB Storm when using wifi equivilent to 3g speed do you think?
    How slow/fast are downloads and apps when running on EDGE?
    Are you happy with it?

I will be switching from a Bold 9000 rogers to a Storm 9550 Verizon.
    I used to run a 9630 verizon tour on the rogers network and constantly had issues with not receiving sms and mms sometimes, and also mostly remaining on edge/gprs and not EDGE. Ugh what ****!
    05-09-10 03:27 PM
    Sooooo, are you still running your S2? If so was it really and can it run on 3g?!?

*sniff *sniff
    I hope so....
    05-09-10 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD