I know there are various threads on unlocked phones, but they all seem to relate to phones unlocked and permanently ported to another network.

I have a Telus 9530, it is already unlocked, although I haven't had a GSM sim Card to test in it yet.

Here's my question. I am travelling to the US in June, planning to purchase a prepaid tmobile sim card with Blackberry data plan. I want to know if this is going to work without Telus releasing my PIN from their end. I know voice coverage won't be an issue, but my whole purpose in doing this is for the data and email, not the voice.

I plan to return to Canada a week or so later, and want to be able to just switch back to 1XEV and be on Telus with no problems of course, so releasing my PIN isn't an option I don't think, I'm also on contract with them, so can't cancel my plan temporarily. I could suspend the service, don't know if that would release the PIN though. Thanks for any help people can offer.
    05-21-09 09:18 AM
    Oh, one other question. After I unlocked the phone it said "code accepted." The message at the top of the screen then changed to SIM Card: Security Disabled.

In the menu for that screen it has an option to enable security. Would choosing that option relock the phone? That seems like a really stupid thing that could happen easily by mistake if that's the case. Thanks.
    05-21-09 01:04 PM
    first, the simpler question. the phone can never be locked again.
    Second, I'm not sure tmobile sells prepaid blackberry data plans. They only sell them for sidekicks.
    Third, you can't do what you're planning because the phone's radio would need to be completely released from telus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 03:11 PM
    mr bb, Tmobile does sell prepaid blackberry cards...mrsimcard.com supplies them, although they are branded as an Iphone card, they assure me it will work.

I know at least one person who has both Telus and Rogers accounts (don't ask) and switches between them by simply changing to either 1XEV or GSM, so it must be possible to do what I wish. I'm not positive, but I believe they have data on both networks as well.
    05-21-09 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD