Whats the difference between the $30.00 plan and the $45.00 plan. When I click on them they dont say much in the description. What would a casual user need for unlimited internet and some email?
    11-24-08 09:15 PM
    45 plan is for corp. email servers. if you are a regular user there is no need for the 45 plan.
    11-24-08 09:16 PM
    $30 is BIS only (POP3/IMAP4/OWA) email support. $45 is for BES/BIS (same as above, but also has the ability to be attached to a Blackberry Enterprise Server; RIM's specialized email aggregation system).
    11-24-08 09:17 PM
    45 plan is for corp. email servers. if you are a regular user there is no need for the 45 plan.
    It's important for people to understand that using this wording is not always correct, because you can connect via OWA (BIS conduits alone) to an Exchange Enterprise email server. So, really the correct answer is, if your company doesn't use Blackberry Enterprise Server, you don't need the BES ($45) plan.
    11-24-08 09:19 PM
    What are the benefits of the corporate e-mail? Is it just the ability to connect, therefore allowing Verizon to take more money for nothing?
    11-24-08 09:20 PM
    easier use to attach to corporate e-mail addresses (such as lotus), and rim's specialized programs.
    11-24-08 09:24 PM
    What are the benefits of the corporate e-mail? Is it just the ability to connect, therefore allowing Verizon to take more money for nothing?
    This answer is in the FAQ forum (differences between BIS and BES), but to answer your questions about who's pocketing more money, it's actually RIM. It's RIM's idea to have two different data plans for email connectivity. They also pocket a licensing fee for each and every Blackberry that needs to be connected to a BES server, which cost yet more money for hardware and software/licenses and is housed and maintained by the individual companies that run them, not the carriers.
    11-24-08 09:25 PM
    So, really the correct answer is, if your company doesn't use Blackberry Enterprise Server, you don't need the BES ($45) plan.
    OK Thanks! I didnt know what all that other stuff meant until you posted the above!
    11-24-08 09:26 PM
    OK Thanks! I didnt know what all that other stuff meant until you posted the above!
    Yep and the best and easiest way to find the answer to that is to simply ask your IT dept at work, if you're not sure.
    11-24-08 09:27 PM
    It's important for people to understand that using this wording is not always correct, because you can connect via OWA (BIS conduits alone) to an Exchange Enterprise email server. So, really the correct answer is, if your company doesn't use Blackberry Enterprise Server, you don't need the BES ($45) plan.
    this is very correct..

However I do agree when someone asks what a casual user unlimited email data most the time it is a BIS account. But it is definetly better to explain exactly what it is just in case they don't fully understand what there trying to do with it.

Depending how the servers are setup it can be possible to get work email without BES which is much of what you stated NO Enterprise server No need.

The reason I say it this way is because its very possible that a company can have pop access so saying it WONT WORK with a company email is wrong as well.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-24-08 at 09:35 PM.
    11-24-08 09:32 PM
    The reason I say it this way is because its very possible that a company can have pop access so saying it WONT WORK with a company email is wrong as well.
    I think we're saying the same thing here. This is what I said above. Even with BIS, you can get corporate email (if your corporate network and email server is setup for outside access via one of the BIS supported protocols).

However, for companies that do have a BES server, pretty much 100% of them will require a BB user to get a BES capable plan, even if another protocol is open to the outside and would work with BIS.

Anyway, I think we're both saying the same thing, just in different ways...
    11-24-08 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD