So looked at the threads and no luck here. Hopefully someone has an answer. I have a Storm2 9550, since around original release, did the upgrade to .607 day of update.

Now some months later all of a sudden my BB is down to 50% battery by 11AM after taking it off the charger at 7AM. Not in use, have always left WiFi and Bluetooth as well as left service on Global, was never an issue. Dont use the phone that much in my office, where signal is low, but again never an issue before.

So my usage and location have not changed, also have not installed any new apps recently, but the battery drain just started to occur this week. Do you think it is that the battery just had it now? It does take a full charge. Will pay attention to it at home this weekend to see how it holds up.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by viking; 05-12-10 at 11:51 AM.
    05-12-10 11:38 AM
    It's been said a lot on these forums that the .607 upgrade has significantly reduced the effectiveness of the battery. Having bluetooth, WiFi and a low coverage area doesn't help either.
    05-12-10 11:40 AM
    i saw that .607 does this but did that upgrade day one, battery drain just started.
    05-12-10 11:41 AM
    If you don't have anything running try switching global to 1XEV and see if that doesn't improve on battery life; also if you haven't done a battery pull do that as well.
    05-12-10 11:56 AM
    I noticed high battery drain on my .607 today. It is NOT A PROBLEM WITH .607. I just updated the roaming again and saw the battery drain significantly reduce. Try *228 option 2.
    Yep just ddi that as well, thanks. Will see if that improves it. Also had an issue with App World, with the Applications Center (part of RIM?Verizon) saying that App World was not on my phone, but it is as I use it, as I installed it directly from RIM not through the push service. So uninstalled it and reinstalled it and did battery pull, hopefully that helps to, perhaps phone was having issues with App world. Only app I saw that was having this issue, even though it worked fine.
    05-12-10 03:10 PM
    Yep just ddi that as well, thanks. Will see if that improves it. Also had an issue with App World, with the Applications Center (part of RIM?Verizon) saying that App World was not on my phone, but it is as I use it, as I installed it directly from RIM not through the push service. So uninstalled it and reinstalled it and did battery pull, hopefully that helps to, perhaps phone was having issues with App world. Only app I saw that was having this issue, even though it worked fine.
    I'm one of those that isn't too keen on Appworld, I would go so far as to say that's where your problem is - if you don't need it uninstall it.
    If I want something and the only place to get it happens to be from Appworld I remove it after getting an app and later wiping my device just to make sure it's gone. Might be overkill but I don't have any issues with my device following this practice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 03:31 PM
    I am one of those who suspects .607 as impacting battery life, but certainly not to the degree that the OP is experiencing. Just for the heck of it though, I'd try turning off WiFi if you're not using it, as well as BT if you're not using it. GPS has little impact on battery life if you're not running an app that is using it at the moment (do you leave Google Maps running or something similar?). What apps are always running in the background? There are five that are constant, none of which are draining the battery. I have one additional, Smart Guard, but that does not use the battery unless it's doing the daily, automatic backup.

I am confused though. How does AppWorld impact battery life? I have it on my phone (only use it for a few, free apps) and it's not running in the background, so how can it drain the battery?
    05-12-10 03:38 PM
    I am one of those who suspects .607 as impacting battery life, but certainly not to the degree that the OP is experiencing. Just for the heck of it though, I'd try turning off WiFi if you're not using it, as well as BT if you're not using it. GPS has little impact on battery life if you're not running an app that is using it at the moment (do you leave Google Maps running or something similar?). What apps are always running in the background? There are five that are constant, none of which are draining the battery. I have one additional, Smart Guard, but that does not use the battery unless it's doing the daily, automatic backup.

I am confused though. How does AppWorld impact battery life? I have it on my phone (only use it for a few, free apps) and it's not running in the background, so how can it drain the battery?
    So ones running are BB messenger, Phone, Home, Browser, Mail. All ones I cant stop. I think it could have been the *228, option 2 or the App World issue with the Applications Center program. But just strange that it came up all of a sudden. Didnt change any settings or usage over the past few weeks and was fine. Leads me to think one of these items, so will wait and see how tonight and tomorrow goes now that I made that change.
    05-12-10 04:06 PM
    Correct, though I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can explain how AppWorld has any impact on battery life!

So ones running are BB messenger, Phone, Home, Browser, Mail. All ones I cant stop. I think it could have been the *228, option 2 or the App World issue with the Applications Center program. But just strange that it came up all of a sudden. Didnt change any settings or usage over the past few weeks and was fine. Leads me to think one of these items, so will wait and see how tonight and tomorrow goes now that I made that change.
    05-12-10 04:40 PM
    You are not explaining though, how AppWorld can impact battery life. Memory, yes, but battery? If it's not running, it's not using the battery and I don't know what in AppWorld continues to run after you've closed it out. Your experience with .607 is similar to others, but certainly, after initial installation, there is increased battery usage as your device adjusts and caches new data. Mine settled down a bit after the first couple of days. Now, I'm estimating that it's increased battery usage by about 10% - 15%, certainly not HUGE (not great, either) but better than what the OP was experiencing. Again, the issue is NOT AppWorld!

I did the upgrade from 320 to 607 via OTA. I can tell you my battery drain was very bad. I looked at the applications installed and noticed I had two installations of App World. I uninstalled both. My excessive power use was solved.

Like others, I install App World when I need it and remove it when done. It could probably be left on but why leave programs installed when not needed?
    05-12-10 05:25 PM
    You are not explaining though, how AppWorld can impact battery life. Memory, yes, but battery? If it's not running, it's not using the battery and I don't know what in AppWorld continues to run after you've closed it out. Your experience with .607 is similar to others, but certainly, after initial installation, there is increased battery usage as your device adjusts and caches new data. Mine settled down a bit after the first couple of days. Now, I'm estimating that it's increased battery usage by about 10% - 15%, certainly not HUGE (not great, either) but better than what the OP was experiencing. Again, the issue is NOT AppWorld!
    OP never mentioned he has done a recent upgrade, in fact from his original post I gathered that he has had .607 for a little while. So keeping that on mind when he says he is suddenly having a drain issue along with something odd happening with Appworld on his device, I can logically surmise that Appworld is most likely his issue.
    From a personal standpoint, and I mentioned that earlier, Appworld doesn't play nice with everyone. My last device was a Pearl 8130 which only has 64mb compared to the S2's 256. I didn't have the luxury of leaving Appworld just sitting there taking up space, plus it was extremely buggy. So as I stated earlier, I got in the habit of installing only if I didn't have a choice and I really wanted an app. Others have it and have no problems; I don't have it and also have no problems. All I'm saying is if one suddenly has issues with it and along with that the device it's installed on also starts having issues, try removing it if everything else has failed.

Last edited by genomos; 05-12-10 at 06:39 PM.
    05-12-10 06:36 PM
    I noticed high battery drain on my .607 today. It is NOT A PROBLEM WITH .607. I just updated the roaming again and saw the battery drain significantly reduce. Try *228 option 2.
    This. Usually the culprit.

05-12-10 06:40 PM
    Correct, though I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can explain how AppWorld has any impact on battery life!
    the issue i think may have been app world being installed but not recognized by the application center. Just like I stated, i was not sure it was the issue but something i noticed. Also think that it may have to do with *288, so did that as well. But this problem just started out of the blue, work at same location each day and was never an issue before.
    Last edited by viking; 05-12-10 at 09:23 PM.
    05-12-10 09:19 PM
    So either the re-installation of App world or the *228, option 2 fixed my issue, think the latter, although not sure why it would happen all of a sudden, when I live/work in the same location since I had the phone.

Oh well, doesnt matter as its fixed now. 4:30PM (took off charger at 7AM) and phone at 60% with moderate use and still all radios on (WiFi, BT) and set still to global.
    05-13-10 04:36 PM
    That's great news, though I will insist it was NOT AppWorld (lol, that seems to be really annoying me, as I firmly believe it had nothing to do with it, but we'll never know unless you try reinstalling it and monitoring the battery).

By the way, if you happen to have QuickLaunch on your device, you can set it to simply toggle WiFi on or off, which would save you a fair amount of additional battery if you're not using WiFi on a regular basis. It's easy to toggle and the benefits sure pay off. QL also has many other great features, so it's worth the few bucks to get it.

So either the re-installation of App world or the *228, option 2 fixed my issue, think the latter, although not sure why it would happen all of a sudden, when I live/work in the same location since I had the phone.

Oh well, doesnt matter as its fixed now. 4:30PM (took off charger at 7AM) and phone at 60% with moderate use and still all radios on (WiFi, BT) and set still to global.
    05-13-10 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD