Unexpected error; Video cannot be saved..anyone else getting this? This is what i get on 2 out of 3 videos taken. Then when i go into the folder there is a file there with the same name as the one that it said it could not save. the file size is 0.0 and if i try to play it i get "the media being played is from an unsupported format".

I have tried (under video options) both formats Normal (320x240) and MMS mode (176x144). it happens a bit less in the MMS mode. Does anyone know what is happening here? my wife and i both are having the same issue.
    01-03-09 10:47 AM
    I had the same problem with my original storm and my replacement. If you do a search, there are other threads about this issue. The work around seems to be to access the video cam using the video cam icon rather than the side keys or cam-menu-video. Hope this helps. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 11:34 AM
    Try this

Playing a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone results in the error message media being played is an unsupported format

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB17020
    Last Modified : 12-10-2008
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry® Storm™ 9530 smartphone
    SDR270028

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    After recording a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone, playing the video results in the following error message:

The media being played is an unsupported format.

Cause
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround
    Once the video recording is complete, close the Video Camera application and play the file from the media player as follows:

When finished recording, press the Pause button.
    Press the menu button.
    Press the menu button.
    From the list, select the necessary video file.

Products
    BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series
    01-05-09 07:00 PM
    I just ran into this also. Just to be more specific...to make it work from the main menu select: Media / Videos / Video Camera, then use the Record button.

If you try to use the Record button that's on the screen where you select the "Video Camera" selection you will get the error.
    01-06-09 09:28 AM
    I just tried the below procedure after trying about 2 hrs of different tests. It works for me first time every time. The only thing now is renaming the video files. New to Blackberrys, so I'm sure that'll be easy enough.

THANKS!!!!

Try this

Playing a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone results in the error message media being played is an unsupported format

Doc ID : KB17020
    Last Modified : 12-10-2008
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry® Storm™ 9530 smartphone
    SDR270028

Overview
    After recording a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone, playing the video results in the following error message:

The media being played is an unsupported format.

Cause
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround
    Once the video recording is complete, close the Video Camera application and play the file from the media player as follows:

When finished recording, press the Pause button.
    Press the menu button.
    Press the menu button.
    From the list, select the necessary video file.

Products
    BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series
    04-17-09 02:45 PM
    I experienced this problem on Day 2 of having my Storm! I went back to the Verizon store but got no definitive answer except to keep checking for updates to the problem that were supposed to come out mid April. I tried this solution here at work and it worked!!! Thank you so much. You saved me from disappointment!

Now, does anyone know how I can retrieve a video I've already taken. It was quite a memorable experience and I'd like to salvage it if I can. I'm all ears (or eyes...sorry)
    04-22-09 07:23 AM
    your problem is you are trying to save the same file as the same file name causing an error, the phone saves the video when you press pause creating the file name, then if you select the folder button which is "rename" and dont rename the file you are accessing the same file you are trying to rename causing the error.

Solution: record your video, then you are done when you pause the video/pausing the video saves the file. trying to save the file by selecting the folder option to save is not the correct procedure, you only use this function to rename the file.

I cant believe anyone at Blackberry hasn't figured this out yet, i guess my years as a software/firmware application tester for the Department of Defense has embedded the KISS theory in every error i have come across, KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. sounds a little demeaning but its true, camera applications create a file when you are using that function, the storm doesnt save the file to a temporary directory, it creates the file in the location specified in the camera options.
    Last edited by enemyfuel; 05-16-09 at 12:26 PM.
    05-16-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD