This has got to be the biggest most un-logical bug i have seen. When battery falls below 5% or so it turns off the radio. So you plug it in, guess what, it doesnt matter. even if the phone is plugged in but battery is below 5% it STILL says battery is too low. shouldn't there be an exclusion in the code that says if battery <5% but plugged in = allow radio. this just doesn't make sense and is really annoying to have to wait to use the phone even if and when it is plugged in but below 5% battery power.
    03-27-09 12:53 PM
    I know what you mean. What you described is the most logical way and seems that would be the way it worked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 12:58 PM
    i agree, i have encountered this several times. The only suggestion i have is that once the radio goes off, turn the phone off until you can plug it in to charge, it will not take as long to get the radio back that way.
    03-27-09 12:59 PM
    I think that is the same for all blackberrys... not just the storm.

but, that is a little annoying..
    03-27-09 01:04 PM
    You would think that would be an easy fix on the newer OS
    03-27-09 01:04 PM
    When the radio goes off that just means that it is time to go to sleep

03-27-09 01:05 PM
    Ironically enough, that happened to me this morning!
    03-27-09 01:11 PM
    To turn the radio back on when the battery is too low, do the following:

Options>Advanced Options>Wireless Update>Next. It will then force the radio back on.

Enjoy!
    03-27-09 01:32 PM
    To turn the radio back on when the battery is too low, do the following:

Options>Advanced Options>Wireless Update>Next. It will then force the radio back on.

Enjoy!
    Does this really work? I have had the same issue as the OP and since I dont let my battery get to the orange/reddish level. I always charge it back up when its close to dying, the only time I messed up was the other day when I left the house before charging it. The solution for the radio to be on when the BB is plugged in should really be more evident. Its getting juice, it should be back on automatically because you are charging it anyways, so no more need for battery saving.
    03-27-09 01:41 PM
    Does this really work?
    Yes or I wouldn't have posted it. You get to the upgrade area, it has a big paragraph for you to read, you hit next, and then it will say something along the lines of the radio needing to be on or something like that and it asks if you want to turn it on. Sorry I don't have specifics, my battery isn't dead right now, so it isn't asking me.
    03-27-09 01:50 PM
    According tio RIM support the reason they put this in is a fail safe to prevent you phone from losing all power... apparently the BB devices are alot like computers in the sense there is always stuff running in the volatile memoory... when the battery dies, or you pull it it is no different than yanking the power cord of your computer out of the wall while it is running... Leading to data loss in some cases and broken apps... the best solution is to poewr the device off, which doesn't turn it all the way off, but puts it into a suspended or "hibernate" type mode, which is what is recommended to do before just yanking the battery...

I just learned all of this the other day after hving to replace my original storm after some apps and the media player quit working correctly...
    03-27-09 01:53 PM
    What about just not using it til it almost dies? If it drops to 30%, why not let it rest?
    03-27-09 01:53 PM
    Yes or I wouldn't have posted it. You get to the upgrade area, it has a big paragraph for you to read, you hit next, and then it will say something along the lines of the radio needing to be on or something like that and it asks if you want to turn it on. Sorry I don't have specifics, my battery isn't dead right now, so it isn't asking me.
    Cool. Did not know that, good to know. Will be trying it in the next time of (emergency) need, thanks for sharing.
    03-27-09 01:59 PM
    I use my phone heavily through the day. By the end of the day I am till around 30%. I put the phone on the charger overnight as well as use it as an alarm clock in the morning. I can't ever think of a time when I would let the battery get that low.

03-27-09 02:00 PM
    This isn't a bug, it's the way RIM sets up the phone to do to prevent lost of data and to reserved power before going dead. It's not just the storm but on all Blackberry models.
    03-27-09 02:00 PM
    The radio turning off may be by design, but I discovered something related that does seem buggy. I can only speak for the storm running.75, but when it hit the low battery warning, you get an audible alert while you are on the phone. Even if it is plugged in, you will still continue to get that alert until it charges enough to take it out of the low warning threshold.
    03-27-09 02:12 PM
    Does this really work? I have had the same issue as the OP and since I dont let my battery get to the orange/reddish level. I always charge it back up when its close to dying, the only time I messed up was the other day when I left the house before charging it. The solution for the radio to be on when the BB is plugged in should really be more evident. Its getting juice, it should be back on automatically because you are charging it anyways, so no more need for battery saving.
    yes this works, but you still have to have the phone on the charger. If you don't the phone will again turn the radio off. The other option is do a battery pull, restart the phone and the radio will be on again, just make sure you plug the charger in or it will turn the radio off again.
    03-27-09 03:00 PM
    Plug it in and open Manage Connection. Turn on Radio..presto..that's all.
    03-27-09 03:04 PM
    Plug it in and open Manage Connection. Turn on Radio..presto..that's all.
    Nope, doesnt work. You will still get a thing saying "battery too low for radio use" or something like that.
    03-27-09 03:26 PM
    yes this works, but you still have to have the phone on the charger. If you don't the phone will again turn the radio off. The other option is do a battery pull, restart the phone and the radio will be on again, just make sure you plug the charger in or it will turn the radio off again.
    True, but it wont turn back off for a little bit. If you need to make that one last call or, if you actually want to have the radio on while the phone is charging, then it works fine.
    03-27-09 03:27 PM
    If you dont want to wait for it to charge, you can dial 911, it will force radio on, then hit end before the call is even started, then do as you wish. The other method works as well but i find this easier.
    03-27-09 03:36 PM
    If you dont want to wait for it to charge, you can dial 911, it will force radio on, then hit end before the call is even started, then do as you wish. The other method works as well but i find this easier.
    Until you have the problem that I have that the phone doesn't always disconnect right away and the call actually connects...

But if you prefer to have helicopters flying over your head, cops pulling you outside and shoving their baton up your , and then being thrown in jail with a 400 pound man named Hans, that's up to you. I guess it's what "longer & harder way" you prefer, on the phone or with Hans.
    03-27-09 03:46 PM
    Nope, doesnt work. You will still get a thing saying "battery too low for radio use" or something like that.
    Well it works on mine every time. In fact many times when it goes to yellow and I'm in the car I just plug in the charger, turn on radio, and that's it.
    03-28-09 10:51 AM
    This has got to be the biggest most un-logical bug i have seen. When battery falls below 5% or so it turns off the radio. So you plug it in, guess what, it doesn't matter. even if the phone is plugged in but battery is below 5% it STILL says battery is too low. shouldn't there be an exclusion in the code that says if battery <5% but plugged in = allow radio. this just doesn't make sense and is really annoying to have to wait to use the phone even if and when it is plugged in but below 5% battery power.
    There are a lot of bugs I have noticed around charging. My first phone once the battery was charged the lightening bolt would go off. On my new one it just stays on all the time even at 100%.
    03-28-09 11:08 AM
    This isn't a bug, it's the way RIM sets up the phone to do to prevent lost of data and to reserved power before going dead. It's not just the storm but on all Blackberry models.
    Couldn't be further from the truth. This was not intended as a way to prevent loss of data. The memory is Flash. Flash memory does not need power to maintain it bitset data. You can pull the battery or let it drain dead and leave it for a year. The data will still be there.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 03-28-09 at 11:22 AM.
    03-28-09 11:20 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD