I am sorry for this newbie question but i have tried for the last 5 hours to wipe my device. The reason is because I am unable to remove the Sample pictures from the storm.

I recall removing the pictures during my last wipe 3 weeks ago by following this guide: ht tp://forums.crackberry.com/f135/newb-guide-1-using-crackmem-gain-app-memory-142376/ - Newb Guide 1: Using CrackMem to Gain App Memory . That worked.

It doesn't work anymore even though there are no 5MB files here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9530-v4.7.0.148_P4.0.0.181\Java. There is no file there named net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. This was removed using CrackMem

I treid to wipe using JL_Cmdr. I unplugged my unit and saw the 507 error. Reloaded my OS. Pictures are still there.

I installed CrackUtil, used all 3 destruction options, including wipe IT policy. I think i got the 507 error again.

Reloaded my OS. Sample pictures still there.

I unistalled the .148 OS and reinstalled it. I unstalled the automatic update portion of BB Desktop. I am having no luck.

Please help!! The only thing that changed was i tried to delete the pictures using BBFilescout 3 days ago.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by intense55; 06-21-09 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Want to add removed files
    06-21-09 09:27 PM
    the pictures are part of the OS files...you'll need to "shrink" it to remove the java files they are part of. but it's pointless, and doesn't really benefit you in any way.

the only reason you'd want to remove them is to free up "app memory" for apps, but if you're running good apps and good themes, it won't be an issue. so i suggest you give your apps/themes a once over and see if they're causing any memory management issues. PM/email me if you need help.
    06-21-09 09:54 PM
    Thanks Patches but is there a reason it worked in the guide (they went to the sample pictures folder and the photos were gone) and not now?

Did this change for V.148? Also i could have sworn i removed it before.

Thanks.
    06-21-09 10:07 PM
    it can be shrunk, you prolly just didn't remove the right files. they might have been changed since the previous builds. double check which files to remove and see what you get.
    06-21-09 10:09 PM
    I did double check. Before Crackmem, i had the 5MB file. After Crackmen, the 5MB file has been removed from the Java folder.

I am going to try and reinstall .75 and see what happens.

I am having major memory leaks. Still trying to determind which program is causing it.

Thanks for your help.
    06-21-09 10:22 PM
    here's the easy way, sorry to highjack your thread...

make a backup of your device.

install the straight .148, no restore.

go to backup/restore>advanced and ONLY restore contacts/calendar/BBM

then you can manually set your options/settings for the device...

give it a day or two, if possible, with no apps.

after that, load one app at a time, each day.

no themes, period.

once you've done that, you should notice which app causes the problems. if none of the apps did it, then it was a theme.

i advise against themes, they tend to be resource hogs on the storm. they're all good on any other device.
    06-21-09 10:25 PM
    I think i'm going to have to do that.

BTW, i just loaded .75 and removed the sample pictures successfully.

Reloading ..148 now.
    Last edited by intense55; 06-21-09 at 10:56 PM.
    06-21-09 10:47 PM
    I think i'm going to have to do that.

BTW, i just loaded .75 and removed the sample pictures successfully.

Reloading ..148 now.
    This is what you have to do to remove them. If the pics are on the device YOU MUST jump OS versions to wipe them out. For example, you couldn't load .148 with pics then wipe and reload .148 with the cod files for the pics deleted. They will still be on the device. You wouldn't need to go to .75 and back up, going to .141 (or any version really) and back up would work. Just don't forget to delete the 2 cods that load them each time you install an OS exe on your PC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 11:24 PM
    Wow, that worked. Thanks civic. I would not have figured that out.

Thanks to both of you! Now to test which app is leaking...
    06-22-09 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD