May be dumb and obvious, but.. I was in a situation where I was caught in a totally dark and crowded basement (I'm a phoneman, and the light was shut off on me from upstairs...) The flash on the phone was sooo bright, was the perfect temp flashlight to guide me through the maze of stuff...saved my shins...lol
    12-06-08 12:09 PM
    Prior to my first post...I read thru the 26 pages of tips and didn't find these once (no life on a Satruday, I guess) so here goes:

1. Sound EQ for the media player?
    2. How do I enable the phone to prompt me add a NEW number to the contact list after the call ends?
    3. How can I get my contact list from my Treo into the Storm?

Moving to the Storm from the Treo is as stark as night and day.

Great Forum...Great Thread!!

Thanks
    I can answer #3 for you. Connect both devices to your computer. Open DM and click Device Switch Wizard. It should take care of all of it for you.
    12-06-08 12:31 PM
    Here is a tip - that may be obvious to some - for running older bb apps on the storm in fullscreen. I got it from the Flycast website and tried it with Xberry Live and it works great for it as well.

Go in to Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications.
    Select FlyCast (or whatever App) and hit the menu (BB) key. Select
    "Disable compatibility mode"

This will make the program fullscreen and prevent the keyboard from always being on - plus it will allow you to use the keyboard in landscape mode.
    12-06-08 03:44 PM
    Prior to my first post...I read thru the 26 pages of tips and didn't find these once (no life on a Satruday, I guess) so here goes:

1. Sound EQ for the media player?
    2. How do I enable the phone to prompt me add a NEW number to the contact list after the call ends?
    3. How can I get my contact list from my Treo into the Storm?

Moving to the Storm from the Treo is as stark as night and day.

Great Forum...Great Thread!!

Thanks

Ok maybe not "exactly" what I was looking for...but there is a headset equilizer option under >Media>Music>BB>Options>headset EQ

Seems to make a difference.
    12-06-08 05:05 PM
    New BB user and I'm unclear how to automatically sync Anniversaries and birthdays which have been inputted into my BB address book to my BB calendar. Can it be done? BTW, I do not use outlook for my contacts. I only use the BB address book and have no intentions to use outlook for my contact list. Thx
    IMO, best thing to do is go the contact list, choose the contact, edit, scan down to birthday or anniversary. Once you input the date, it will appear on your calendar.
    12-06-08 07:28 PM
    Try this out:
    Press the Green button
    On top is the contacts press that
    At the top is the "Find" start typing the name
    When the name is highlighted press it and highlight the number you want
    then a menu appears....

Sounds longer than it is, but is faster.
    If you set your default view for phone, you can cut one step out. Hit green button, swipe up keyboard and type.

It is one and a half extra clicks over the 8830

You don't need to change your default view for the phone button or waste a convenience key...

Just hold down the green key for a beat and you will go directly to the contacts list.
    12-06-08 07:30 PM
    i have a ? i had vzw reset my account so i can login into BIS online, now my vzw.blackberry.net email address cant be found and it says i always have a new message on my private email address when there is no new email. any help. feel free to pin this info to me or PM me
    I am having the same thing happen. Let me know if you have any luck on this. I have had my e-mail for years.
    12-06-08 09:09 PM
    Here is a tip/trick: Call your voicemail without having to enter password each time...

1. Click on CALL button (green button)
    2. Press BB button (Blackberry button)
    3. Scroll and click on OPTIONS
    4. Click on VOICE MAIL
    5. Under "Password", enter two pauses by pressing BB button twice
    6. Now type in your 4 digit password after the pauses.
    7. It should look like PP1234 under "Password"

So now, when you press and hold down 1, it will call your voicemail and will pause automatically and enters your password for you.
    After the new update you do NOT put a pause in (actually you can't).

Just put in your password.

If you want to be even more efficiant, after your password put #1 and it will automatically play your messages.
    12-07-08 01:38 AM
    I know everyone has been searching for a good weather program.

This one works well and you can either load it from your BB or desktop:

Cut and paste this your browser (for some reason they block you on here for posting URL's if you have under 10 posts....wow???)

bbrtm.org/yweather/

OTA Install for OS 4.2 and above

Tip - Now once you install it, DON"T OPEN IT

Instead goto: Options; Advanced Options; Applications

ONLY highlight YWeather (it's usually the last app) and click your bb menu button. Click: Disable Compatibility Mode

Then press the back arrow, then save.

YWeather is now in Downloads. You can move it to one of your top rows on your main page so you can always see it (If you don't know how, do a search for moving icons)

Click on YWeather on your homepage. From there you can change all your options.

IMPORTANT - If you want to view your current weather from your home page DO NOT close this program. Just hit end. If you do it will only say YWeather.

Until they get better ones, this one works fine.

Enjoy and Thanks to everyone here for teaching me how to use my first BB
    12-07-08 02:14 AM
    I changed my browser setting from Blackberry to "Internet Browser" and used the Firefox setting. I feel that it's now faster and much more enjoyable to browse on my storm. Screw iPhone...STORM ROCKS!
    12-07-08 02:53 AM
    Call Log:

If you go to the applications folder, and hit the BBerry button, click UNHIDE for the two icons in there. One of them is the call log. Move it to the home folder, and put it on the top row. It's a quick way to get to your recent calls.

when i do this.. it doesn't show up in the main row.. its still shadowed.. anyone else now how to get it to show up fully?
    12-07-08 05:39 AM
    I changed my browser setting from Blackberry to "Internet Browser" and used the Firefox setting. I feel that it's now faster and much more enjoyable to browse on my storm. Screw iPhone...STORM ROCKS!
    2nd this.. makes the internet so much better.. i also activated java script.. help..
    12-07-08 06:17 AM
    when i do this.. it doesn't show up in the main row.. its still shadowed.. anyone else now how to get it to show up fully?
    Hit the BB menu button, highlight the Recent Calls icon, and hit the BB menu again, go to "unhide" that should take the shadow away and have it show up on the home screen.
    12-07-08 08:58 AM
    After the new update you do NOT put a pause in (actually you can't).
    I have the latest update and can insert pauses.
    In the password field, click the BB button and select "add pause"
    12-07-08 09:08 AM
    Once you have it where you want it on the Home Page, highlight it, press the BB button and uncheck the "Hide" option.
    12-07-08 10:13 AM
    how bout u help the dude out instead of being a a**hole about it...
    Tips + tricks is not Q&A

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 10:37 AM
    not the greatest tip but it helps me out a lot....hovering over the period (.) key in landscape mode will show the etc periods (...)

LOL....told ya it wasnt great
    12-07-08 10:56 AM
    it doesn't matter if the phone is being held or laying down in portrait layout, it reverts to the landscape view (black screen with folders) each time. How do I make it so the home screen is the default? Or is it possible?
    12-07-08 11:01 AM
    the best you can do is change the "Set Homescreen Layout" to 3 rows......i dont believe you can have it set on the grid at all times
    12-07-08 11:17 AM
    Alright, I consolidated the previous OFFICIALY Tips/Tricks thread posted by turtzilla.

I did't go through them or correct their grammar so don't worry about that. Nor did I include any of the answered questions, just the straight out tips/tricks

RULES
    PLEASE keep this a tips/tricks ONLY thread. If you need help or don't understand something, make a new one. If I duplicated one, PM me -- don't say it in the thread.

Again, PLEASE keep this strictly to tips and tricks.

Without further ado--

-hammerfan-11/22
    if you are in email, and you hold your finger on the screen on a particular email ( not pressing the screen just touching it) it brings up all the emails you have had with the reciepent!

-turtzilla-11/22
    U can number lock by holding the key down....

-pastorhudson-
    11/22
    When your in "Lock" mode hold down the mute key to toggle to vibrate profile and back.

Holding down the Blackberry Menu button brings up the app switcher.

when the keyboard is up swipe your finger down across the keyboard to make it disappear, repeat opposite to make it appear.

Just noticed that if I touch(not click) a message and hold my finger there it will do a search for messages with the same subject. An interesting way to filter your message list.

-lotusberry-11/22
    1. Touch the sentence you want to change and hold your finger there (don't click!).
    2. The cursor will turn from a solid blue to just an outline of a rectangle.
    3. Then just slide your finger in either direction and you can place the cursor exactly where you want it.
    -nick125-11/22
    I fond this neat thing while viewing a message. If you swipe to the right while viewing a message, it will take you back to the message list.

-mimspkt-11/22
    Double click the menu button and it will either open, reply or send a message.

-joshtbuff-11/22
    Clicking the menu button brings up the menu screen and pressing again
    Chooses. I wish you could hit the menu button to save changes.

Also swiping left or right while viewing messa
    ges goes to previous or next.

-dmglakewood-
    11/22
    If you don't like viewing websites in the mobile versions then do the steps below. This will ensure you that you will never see the mobile version of a website.

Go to
    Browser>Menu Key>Options>Browser Configuration>Browser Identification>

Set this to either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Now every website will think you're a pc rather then a phone. This trick is also good for online banking that requires a certain browser etc.

I have the left side button set to display my text messages which saves a lot of time when you're using another application and you get a text. Just click that button and there it is. Here is how you do it

Easy way to transfer Audio/Video files

Okay I found this to be the easiest way to transfer media onto the storm

Windows Xp
    1. Make sure you have installed the Blackberry User Tools disc
    2. Double click on My Computer
    3. Double click on BlackBerry 9530
    4. Double click on Media Card
    5. You can either drag all your media into this folder or create a new folder for your media. I created two folders one for music and one for movies.

Windows Vista
    1. Make sure you have installed the Blackberry User Tools disc
    2. Double click on Computer
    3. Double click on BlackBerry 9530
    4. Double click on Media Card
    5. You can either drag all your media into this folder or create a new folder for your media. I created two folders one for music and one for movies.

Once the copying is complete just click on Media on your phone and it should all be there.

Options>Screen/Keyboard>LEft Side Convenience Key Opens:

Set this option to SMS And MMS

Okay another new one...while playing an mp3 you can use the volume on the side to control volume but if you hold it down it will switch songa.

-hal1-11/22
    Once somethiong is hightlighted you can often you can often press anywhere on teh screen to click.

return button acts as an enter button in many applications/screens

-sooks-11/22
    if you want to delete all sms then click the top one with one finger hold down .. not click and then click the end of the list of sms and then menu delete.

-c0mf0rt-
    11/22
    Just realized if you turn it to the landscape menu and hit the blackberry key twice it will let you change the placement of the icons.

-mickyb23uk-
    11/22
    When using the Camera, slide you finger from bottom > top to zoom IN and from top > bottom to zoom out

-bigvdawgy-11/22
    To get the Event Log (when you want to do some memory clean up) you do the similar ALT LGLG command from the keyboard bb's but it ends up being:
    !?123 "
    !?123 /
    !?123 "
    !?123 /

Also, technique I learned to improve typing accuracy and speed, when using the QWERTY keyboard with two hands, you need to be sure to restrict the left thumb for the left side of the keyboard and the right thumb for the right side of the keyboard. If you try to hit a button on the right side of the keyboard with the left thumb you will make a mistake almost every time.

-kholdstare-
    11/22
    Well, when i was playing with the Demo unit and if you PW's that have numbers in them a lot. I found out if you hold down ?!123 key in portrait/landscape mode for a couple of seconds it will number lock the keyboard. So you'll be able to use the numbers with out hitting it over and over again

-durangojim-11/22
    Didn't see this mentioned, but if you're in the browser and you tap the screen without "surepressing" or clicking it will either hide the zoom/column view/pointer buttons at the bottom or make them visible.

-goathog02-11/22
    Another tips while browsing the web, 2x tap the screen will zoom in. To zoom out, hit the bb escape button

-imann101-11/22
    BEDSIDE MODE!

I love this feature. When you plug in the phone it automatically goes into one of the three different clock settings. If you have it near your bed at night go into the clock > menu button > bedside mode

What this does is dim the screen, and stop the led from blinking. You can even have it turn off the radio. This means no annoying blinking lights at night!

Just make sure you turn it off in the morning or else it won't blink even if you exit out of the clock

Get over the air updates *WHEN AVAILABLE.*

some phones have the wireless update option in advances options, if not, do this:

options > advanced options > service book > hover* over 'provisioning [otasl]' > menu key > delete >menu key > undelete

repeat that a few times then go to the home screen again then options > advanced options and there should be a new thing that says wireless upgrade at the bottom

obviously no upgrades yet, but at least you know you can do it OTA

-ricky_ifa-11/22
    If wen u have finished typing your message u can swipe down on the key board u can then just
    Press the send button to send. No more pressing menu then pressing send. One swift movement

-filirican-11/22
    Well guys i wanted to chime in my two cents.

I found out a way to change the grid layout when you access the main menu. You can change it to 4x4, 3x3, 2x2, or 1x1. To access the change you go to menu>options>advanced options>accessibitlity>grid layout.

while your at it you can try changing the color contrast. if you do reverse contrast your main menu will be white or black with yellow.

have fun and bring in more tips guys.

-gpcaptmandrake-11/22
    Hey I just found one... to get album art to appear on the device in media player, make sure that when you add the art in Roxio you have embed data in file box checked. Works like a charm.

-justingrant-
    11/23
    Press the call button twice, it will bring up last number called. Hold it down it will bring up the contact list. Does anyone know how to quickly bring up the call log?

-kittiesplay-11/23
    Message reading tip:
    When you are reading a message swipe your finger across the screen to the right to go to the previous message and across the screen to the left to go to the next message.

MY one tip to all who are having trouble with the typing and touch screen, play the mole word game that comes preloaded it is like mindsweep for PC it helps you to acclimate to the point and click.

-secretsexyninja-11/24

when you are typing and coming to the end of the sentence, instead of hitting !?123 and then '.' just quickly double tap the spacebar and TADA! it adds a period. Once i found that, I started loving SureType 60% more than I already do.

-CSSTV-11/25
    1. Faster scrolling in landscape mode:

Switch your menu grid dimensions to 4x4 with the trick listed above (Options>Advanced Options>Accessibility)

2. Quick Current Temperature check:

Download weatherbug.com's app (blackberry.weatherbug.com/download) and, after setting your zip code, move it to one of the first 4 or 8 boxes. Now every time you unlock your phone you will see the weatherbug logo with the current temperature inside of it.

-RYNAC-11/25
    1. Change your swipe speed to 6
    2. lower your tap interval to 25
    3. Raise your hover to 300
    4. Set left side convenience key to show the keyboard
    5. Keep right side as camera
    6. Get in the habit of moveing your finger from letter to letter with out taking it off the screen
    7. only use your right thumb on the right side in qwerty and left thumb on left side. do NOT reach over, it causes more issues than you would think because its not set up that way.
    8. Install BB desktop software and then check for updates. Even if there are no updates hit next to choose to load a module.
    9. Pick something that wasnt on the default install that you would like or something that you wouldnt care as long as it was not on there before.
    10. Go through the backup and then let it wipe the os and reinstall everything. It will help, regardless of the build you got from VZ.
    11. Set voice dial up so that its on the main 8 that you see from the default home screen.
    12. last but not least, learn to love sure type mode lol i know we all love qwerty but trust me. This phone is ten times faster in suretype and fairly accurate to boot. It has yet to steer me wrong and my pearl almost never did.

-johnandsarah002-11/26
    when using the keyboard, if you click the letter you want and hold it down for a second it will type caps

-Crucial_Xtreme-11/26
    To quicly bring up the keyboard, swipe a finger upward from the very bottom of the screen to the middle.

To quickly hide the Storm's keyboard, swipe a finger downward from the top of the keyboard to the very bottom of the device's screen.

To activate capital lock, bring up the onscreen keyboard and then hold down the "Shift/Arrow Up" key for about two seconds until a lock appears on that button. The number pad will then stay on screen until you either hide it or tap the "Shift/Arrow Up" key again to return to the normal keyboard layout.

To delete multiple messages at once via Storm, open your Messages app and gently hold a finger on a message near the top of the list you want to delete. Keep that finger in place, and then touch another message further down the list. All the messages between your two fingers will then be highlighted. From there, you can click the Delete Messages key at the bottom or the screen to do away with the selected messages. Or you can continue to select older messages by keeping one finger on the selected messages and scrolling down. When new, unselected messages appear beneath your current selections, touch any of them to select it and all the messages between it and your previous selections. Again, hit the Delete Messages key to trash messages when you're ready. To unselect messages at any time, click the BlackBerry Escape key.

-To quickly search your music library for all songs from one specific artist, find a track by that musician or group in a list of songs, and then gently hold a finger on screen directly over the musician's name. After a few seconds, all songs from that artist appear on screen.

-xan8470-11/27
    To view e-mails that you have sent:

1) Go into Messages, your e-mail inbox, or your SMS/MMS inbox (easiest to do it in your e-mail inbox if you want to view sent e-mails)
    2) Press the BlackBerry menu button
    3) Select "Search"
    4) Ensure that in the "Service" option your e-mail address is chosen
    5) Set the Show option to just "Sent"
    6) Click the magnifying glass at the bottom to begin the search

-viajero78728-11/27

To keep the backlight from turning off in Blackberry Maps, hit the menu button, then Options, and the very first button is "Backlight Timeout When:"

You can choose battery <100%, <75%, <50%, or <25%.

That way when you're navigating with your GPS, the screen will never go dark, at least until your battery runs low.

It doesn't affect your backlight timeout for anything other than BB Maps.

-crucial_xtreme-11/27
    Change initial view to contacts. Send>Menu>Options>General Options>initial view>contacts.

-riley42-11/28
    While using suretype, after you type a word, before pressing space you hover for a second and swipe towards the word it will allow you to highlight a letter and give you the other letter option on the suretype key. I.e. you can highlight the letter q and it will give you the option to replace it with w

-crucial_xtreme-11/28
    You know how on the homescreen when you move your finger around on the screen the selected icon should follow your finger around, but it doesn't? Hide/delete all of the lesser used Icons and it will follow your finger.

-xan8470-11/28
    When typing a message in landscape, if a suggested correction pops up, pressing "space" or "return" automatically accepts the correction. If you do not want to accept this correction, one way to bypass it is to click anywhere on the screen. However, doing so can hinder the speed at which you are typing. Instead, you can cancel the autocorrection and continue typing normally by pressing the "period" (".") key.

-noaim-11/29
    People have been asking about not having there missed calls show up in the "message folder"
    to disable this

Press send>bb button (menu button)>options>call logging>

the screen states
    "show these call log types in message list" with 3 options

missed calls
    all calls
    none

-kuroshiro/ deezmfnutz-11/29
    if you are having problems authorizing rhapsody Turn off Mass Storage Mode before connecting and starting Rhapsody. Options -> Memory -> Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected (No or Prompt).

-stop-n-go-11/29
    for getting 16 icons on home screen.

Under Home Screen -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Accessability... Set Grid Layout to 4x4... When I show the full home screen (all icons)... both portrait and landscape shows 16 icons (grid of 4x4)..

-filirican-11/30
    While viewing your messages (email,sms and mms) you can quickly find all the messages you've had with a single contact by simply holding your finger over (not clicking) the contact for about 3 seconds. You should see a blue status bar fill up and then "searching...".

After the search is complete you will see all the messages you had with the contact you selected.

Great for when your arguing with the boss about never reciving an email he supposedly sent you

You can also use this method for the SUBJECT of the message and it will group together messages that have the same subject heading.

-noaim-11/30
    all you have to do is type what I show in a message and hit space

mynumber
    this inserts your phone number

mypin
    this inserts your pin number for bb

myver
    this will show your device model and current os version, or app version
    (the reason I say app version is for email its going to display your OS version, but in aim msn and most other apps it will display the APP version along with device version if that makes sense)

-arteanet-11/30
    If you have contacts that you frequently access but don't want to add them to speed dial, I found an easy way to have them show up every time you access the phone. Simply edit each contact by adding a space in front of the person's first name. This will put that person at the top of your contacts list. In phone mode go to options>general options>initial view and change to Contacts. This is similar to what the iPhone has done to access favorites.

clstan011312/1
    -The camera button is two staged. You can press it softly and it will aim and focus, then press a little harder to actually click the picture.

crucial_xtreme12/5
    Here is a tip/trick: Call your voicemail without having to enter password each time...

1. Click on CALL button (green button)
    2. Press BB button (Blackberry button)
    3. Scroll and click on OPTIONS
    4. Click on VOICE MAIL
    5. Under "Password", enter two pauses by pressing BB button twice
    6. Now type in your 4 digit password after the pauses.
    7. It should look like PP1234 under "Password"

So now, when you press and hold down 1, it will call your voicemail and will pause automatically and enters your password for you.

jfarrar12/5
    If you install some apps that were not designed for the storm they usually launch but with the keyboard in constant view and the touchscreen then acts as a trackball instead of a touchscreen. To fix this go to Options> advanced options> applications Highlight the app and press the menu key. Select Disable Compatibility Mode. Now the app will fill the screen and the touch screen will work like it should.

insanely12/5
    to save yourself time you can text msg yourself from your PC with the direct link for downloads such as weatherbug.
    you can do this via AIM or E-mail
    on AIM open a blank IM and send a message to this # +16105551212 610 being my area code, then phone #
    through E-Mail [email protected]
    then just include the link you want for the download and it will apear as a txt msg on your phone, click the link on your phone's text msg and that saves you the time of typing on your phone to get the link from the forum.

Keep PMing new ones to me and I will update the list
    to crucial_extreme:

why can't i use my phone in landscape mode anymore? i tried the trick to saving my password for easier voicemail dialing, i did as u said, went to phone ,options,voice mail, and under password, when i press bb, it closes me out ot the menu. i notice too that there are no letters on the key pad,..and when i try to use in landscape mode....nothing happens....what happeded?
    12-07-08 11:33 AM
    to crucial_extreme:

why can't i use my phone in landscape mode anymore? i tried the trick to saving my password for easier voicemail dialing, i did as u said, went to phone ,options,voice mail, and under password, when i press bb, it closes me out of the menu. i notice too that there are no letters on the key pad,..and when i try to use in landscape mode....nothing happens....what happened? i ued to be able to use the phone in either mode???
    12-07-08 11:35 AM
    When typing in landscape mode is there anyway to type in numbers only instead of keep having to press like 1 then the number button on the keyboard?
    12-07-08 01:48 PM
    when using video camera...using the volume control on the side will zoom in and out.
    12-07-08 02:07 PM
    When typing in landscape mode is there anyway to type in numbers only instead of keep having to press like 1 then the number button on the keyboard?
    Press and hold the "!?123" button. I believe this information is in the manual...
    12-07-08 02:24 PM
    Ok so i have the voicemail icon stuck on my screen as well. I was messing around on the phone (as we all are addicted) and ignored an incoming call. that person left a voicemail, and i continued to play around on the phone. A couple minutes later I set up my VVM. I listened to that persons vm through VVM and then deleted it right then. The o_o icon is still there.

I have called my voicemail, it says I have nothing
    I have gone into VVM, says nothing new
    I have pulled my battery and reset my phone, more than once
    I called customer service earlier (yes they were there on thanksgiving, weird) The lady said she would reset my VVM and for me to do a battery pull and it should be all set. Nope didn't work.

Is there ANYTHING else that I can do before I have to take this into the store tomorrow???
    call and leave yourself a message then delete it....worked for me in the past
    12-07-08 03:56 PM
1,278 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD