Question... The functionality and user interface of this latest poynt update with the cleanliness of the carousel is absolutely phenominal. My question is what is making it so difficult for other app developers to incorporate the same interface likewise with the OS of RIM. Like Facebook for example is so choppy. Having an app like poynt gives me hope knowing that it is possible for something to run that well on my storm lol. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated...
    02-28-10 07:04 PM
    I hear you there. Poynt is by far one of the best (and most used) apps on my phone. I don't have a good hypothesis why things are the way they are...

My thought is newer BBs are finally starting to have enough memory where developers can build and develop visually appealing apps without giving up functionality. I remember reading somewhere on Crackberry that the smallest iPhone apps are around 1-2 megs. Unfortunately our 9530s couldn't handle very many apps like that, and in all fairness not that many earlier Blackberries could either.

It will be interesting to see where app development goes once all phones are running OS 5 and have no less than 256 mb of memory.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 02-28-10 at 07:31 PM.
    02-28-10 07:20 PM
    I'd rather have a few apps that I enjoy using then a lot that are poorly put together. I would kill to have 4 good apps rather than 20 useless ones that are put out to us. And ones that you can get for free or even $.99, not $10.
    02-28-10 10:18 PM
    i'd rather have a few apps that i enjoy using then a lot that are poorly put together. I would kill to have 4 good apps rather than 20 useless ones that are put out to us. And ones that you can get for free or even $.99, not $10.
    agreed!
    02-28-10 10:52 PM
    I just updated poynt yesterday app world showed up as there was an upgrade now I can't get poynt past the initial need to download some resources to get started page?? Anyone else having issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 07:07 AM
    Not here- I downloaded it and love it. Poynt is also one of my most used apps. I use it alot just for showing off what my blackberry can do too! lol
    03-01-10 07:43 AM
    I just updated poynt yesterday app world showed up as there was an upgrade now I can't get poynt past the initial need to download some resources to get started page?? Anyone else having issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No problems here. Try the m.poynt.com OTA download.
    03-01-10 07:44 AM
    That's what I did and it works flawlessly.
    03-01-10 03:29 PM
    No problems here. Try the m.poynt.com OTA download.
    yup uninstalled appworld version and went to the site for OTA no problems now thanks for the suggestion!
    03-02-10 08:49 AM
    No problem installing the the new Poynt on my 9530. Uses 834KB, according to the application option. I successfully installed the new version from m.poynt.com over the App World version, and later found it flagged as uninstalled from App World.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 03-07-10 at 08:23 PM.
    03-07-10 08:19 PM
    Yup. By far, Poynt seems to be the most used app on my BB. So intuitive and clean to use.
    06-02-10 03:38 PM
    Question... The functionality and user interface of this latest poynt update with the cleanliness of the carousel is absolutely phenominal. My question is what is making it so difficult for other app developers to incorporate the same interface likewise with the OS of RIM. Like Facebook for example is so choppy. Having an app like poynt gives me hope knowing that it is possible for something to run that well on my storm lol. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated...
    Theres really nothing stopping any other app from doing it, except the level of difficulty. RIM doesnt provide APIs (programming interfaces) to do smooth graphics like the carousel natively, the developer needs to write that from scratch.

To me there is no excuse for RIMs in-house developed apps like the Facebook app to be choppy. The developers there have access to more information and should be more talented than other BlackBerry developers out there.
    06-02-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD