Old Storm (aka first replacement) is a Mexico make 19500-002. Replaced due to a screen click issue (less responsive at the O, P, L area when in landscape and buttons on the right).

New Storm (aka second replacement) is Canada make 19500-002 with a Dec 29 build date. Same click issue out of box. But it offers an incredibly dim screen. Backlight set at 100 is less bright than old Storm backlight set at 10.

Unbelievable. I just can't figure out how this could happen. Anyway, running out of energy on this one and will keep the old storm. Screen brightness is very important. Too tired to continue complaining.

In the meantime, any thoughts on how RIM could ship with such a dim screen. I am assuming I'm not alone...
    01-07-09 05:49 PM
    My replacement is the same as your with a build date of Dec 30. Its dimmer than my Canada Nov 26. Even with the screen set at 10% on my old one, the screen was still bright.
    01-07-09 05:52 PM
    My replacement is the same as your with a build date of Dec 30. Its dimmer than my Canada Nov 26. Even with the screen set at 10% on my old one, the screen was still bright.
    So I guess the question is ... is this an intentional change by RIM or a defect???

Either way, new phone is not acceptable. My wife was literally laughing at me when she saw the phones side by side.
    01-07-09 05:55 PM
    So I guess the question is ... is this an intentional change by RIM or a defect???

Either way, new phone is not acceptable. My wife was literally laughing at me when she saw the phones side by side.
    No one knows. Maybe the dim one is a defect or the bright one is a defect. You judge for yourself. I'll be keeping mine. I dont care if its bright or dim. So as long its visible and no dust. Dust is my worst enemy as I'm anal and have OCD with my electronics. It has to be perfect.
    01-07-09 05:59 PM
    Received mine about three hours ago. Synched fine immediately noticed dimmer screen. I am in middle of a more detailed thread soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 06:03 PM
    No one knows. Maybe the dim one is a defect or the bright one is a defect. You judge for yourself. I'll be keeping mine. I dont care if its bright or dim. So as long its visible and no dust. Dust is my worst enemy as I'm anal and have OCD with my electronics. It has to be perfect.
    This surprises me somewhat. For me, the brightness of the screen is a huge factor. It would be hard to describe the brightness difference. It's akin to wearing sunglasses on the Canada version.
    01-07-09 06:58 PM
    Between my replacement storms I noticed differences in color balance, but brightness was very consistent between various phones.

01-07-09 07:12 PM
    See if your battery lasts longer on the dimmer Storm.....just sayin.

01-07-09 07:48 PM
    I would say my replacement one has a different a yellowish tint and my original has bluish-white tint. I would say they are about the same brightness. I made sure backlight brightness were both 100.

One thing that that is incredibly noticeable is the camera. Picture quality (color, focus, and sharpness) is much much better with the Canada made phone vs. the Mexico made phone.
    01-07-09 10:06 PM
    ironically its the mexican one for me that has a better camera. almost no lag while taking pictures, canadian one took forever.
    01-07-09 11:27 PM
    Mexico Baby!!!
    01-08-09 01:40 PM
    I just got my replacement today: Canada PRD-19502-002 (Must be from the future because it says 040109). Screen is way dimmer than my original which is Mexico PRD-19502-002 (121208).

My question is..I have .85 running on my original, and the replacement is running .75. Would the OS have anything to do with making the screen brighter? I might keep my original because the replacement is too dimm for me.
    01-09-09 04:28 PM
    I just got my replacement today: Canada PRD-19502-002 (Must be from the future because it says 040109). Screen is way dimmer than my original which is Mexico PRD-19502-002 (121208).

My question is..I have .85 running on my original, and the replacement is running .75. Would the OS have anything to do with making the screen brighter? I might keep my original because the replacement is too dimm for me.
    Your Storm was made on Jan 4th. Screen sucks huh? I was pretty mad when I got mine a few days ago. I'm keeping my old (also defective) one.
    01-09-09 05:11 PM
    Jan 4th! I don't know why I didn't realize that. Yeah the screen looks like it is on 10 when it is really set at 100...and that's with the auto dimming feature off.
    01-10-09 09:47 AM
    My CANADA with mfg date of 12/30/08 is dim. Got my replacement MEXICO (for another Storm) with a mfg date of 12/30/08 as well. And the screen is bright.

I dont care if its dim or not. I'm just worried about the dust issue.
    01-12-09 01:33 PM
    i recieved my replacement a brand new storm 2 weeks ago . and yes i agree the screen is yellow-er and much dimmer. i went to the vz store last night and they said they can ship me out a replacement but wouldnt tell me if it was a refurb or brand new. any one have luck with the refurbs??
    02-05-09 07:03 AM
    I'm on my SIXTH replacement for the yellower screen thing I went to they told me thy couldn't see it when I gt on the phone with tech support they tell me that I'm eligible for a NEW replacement but the store has the final say so I'm going to try a different store
    One note though when I installed .99 the screen did seem to get whiter but still not like my first two storms

02-05-09 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD