All,

I have been looking at getting a BB to replace my Palm. I really liked the look of the Storm and started reading reviews. Seems like there are some issues but many have been taken care of with the expectation that the remainder will be resolved as well. So my litmus test was going to the Verizon store last night and playing with the phone.

It looked really nice, screen was bright, internet browsing was much better than what I have on my Palm. But the main thing I wanted to test was typing text msgs and e-mails. I absolutely could not consistently type on it. The sales guy said it took him about a week to get used to it. When i first got my Palm it took a little adjusting but it has the hard qwerty keyboard and wasn't much of a problem. With the touchscreen, I don't know how easy it will be for me to adjust, especially with my fat finger syndrome.

So my question is for you guys who have had the phone for at least a week, have you adjusted to the typing schemes that the Storm utilizes? I appreciate everyone's input.
    01-28-09 08:24 AM
    I have had my Storm for a month now. Took me a few days to get used to typing on it, but now I'm back to my old typing speed that I had on my hard QWERTY keyboard. Ironically, I always hated SureType, but now I type more on SureType than on the QWERTY. There is definitely a learning curve, but all in all, you won't notice a difference after about a week. Fat finger syndrome doesn't even really come into play, as the buttons show up quite large, and the sureclick takes a lot of the guesswork out of typing with the touchscreen.
    01-28-09 08:32 AM
    Once you get used to it - the typing is fine. When you make typos on the Storm, your frustration is more psychological than anything b/c you were already paranoid about it. Really - typos are just as many w/ the Storm as any other phones once you get the hang of it. I HATED SureType before I got my storm but after I buckled down and learned to use it properly - i can't imagine live w/o it. Get a Storm. I heard that some of Palm's new devices were heading back to the drawing boards b/c of the iPhone patent that just came out.
    01-28-09 08:34 AM
    Yeah... You get used to it.
    The full portrait keyboard is kinda tough with such small buttons, but I still like it more than sure type.
    The demo you used at vzw prolly didn't have the portrait keyboard... It was Added on OS .90 I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 08:38 AM
    Pretty much on the same boat as these guys. I'm typing this message as we speak with absolutely no typo's. Took me about a week or so to really get the full qwerty key board down. I still like to use multi tap in portrait mode, even with the full keyboard in .90. If I ever do have a typo that I don't catch till I'm done typing, spell check fixes it 99% of the time.

01-28-09 08:40 AM
    Yes - .90 is when it was added. The devices you can play with at the store are never up to par. Never updated, probably never reset so the application memory is likely down to kb and S L O W. My suggestion is to buy your own, update and customize it how you want it and if you don't like it - take it back.
    01-28-09 08:40 AM
    I disagree with the notion you "get used to it" and become as fast as previous QWERTY keyboards.

I had a Treo 700wx for years, and switched to the Storm roughly two months ago. The typing is inherently slow. It's easy to make mistakes, the keyboard itself lags (this may be resolved with software), and the auto correction barely works half the time. I find input to be a PITA on the Storm...

It's not horrible, but it's something to consider. Maybe wait a few months for the CDMA Bold/Curve.
    01-28-09 08:43 AM
    I agree the Storm typing is slow.. If you go to fast the keyboard will stay pressed down as if its stuck.. (Is this just me)? However overall, it a very good phone IMHO! I would buy one..
    01-28-09 08:55 AM
    I agree the Storm typing is slow.. If you go to fast the keyboard will stay pressed down as if its stuck.. (Is this just me)? However overall, it a very good phone IMHO! I would buy one..
    I think its just you. Mine works fine. The keyboard will lag a bit(blue highlighted buttons) but if you keep typing anyway it catches up in about a second.
    01-28-09 09:01 AM
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I have a Treo 700wx as mentioned above, at first the keys seemed way too small, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I played with the Storm for about an hour last night but couldn't really see an improvement in my typing skills.

I was also looking at the Curve, however I don't really want to go with the 8300 series, as excellent of a phone as it is, with the new Curve coming out..... However, we have service through Verizon and I don't know how long it will be before the new Curve comes to Verizon.

I also don't want to get stuck in the loop of waiting for the next best phone because there seems to be something new always coming out. I have at least narrowed it down to a BB, originally was looking at a BB, the Palm Pre (if it ever makes it), and briefly switching to AT&T for the iPhone but didn't want to get away from Verizon due to good service and lots of friends and family with Verizon.

Decisions, decisions
    01-28-09 09:08 AM
    It's never guna be as quick as the hard QWERTY keyboard, but it is fast enough to justify getting the phone.... It was always guna be the one thing that put me off getting the storm as well but after a few days it became rather easy. I wouldn't let it put u off as the positives totally out weight the negatives on this phone. ;o)
    01-28-09 09:22 AM
    you'l probably find that's happening because as ur trying to type quickly, ur pressing down on a letter before u have relieved the pressure off the screen from the previouse letter you are pressing, It happens to me to sometimes.
    01-28-09 09:25 AM
    I'm as fast as I was on my Curve and getting faster. Especially after upgrading the operating system to .90. The keys are bigger. I mean if you measured it I'm sure it would be such a small number that you wouldn't think it made a difference but trust me, it does!
    01-28-09 09:25 AM
    Let me put it simply. You will get addicted to using it because of the l337n3ss of it. It will take some time to get used to, but typing is not that hard once you practice on it and get the settings you like, such as the Tap Interval and Hover Period. TRUST ME, you won't regret getting it in terms of usage. If you get one that has problems, just be persistent to get Verizon to replace the device. Chances are you'll get one from the new batch and probably won't have problems like others did upon the launch.
    01-28-09 10:10 AM
    I turned on all the spell check options and I type as fast as my fingers will permit and the spell check works and corrects 99% of my mistakes as soon as I make them

01-28-09 10:34 AM
    I messed up a LOT when I first got the phone. It's been two and a half weeks now and I'd say I've been fully adjusted with very few errors for over a week. The trick in landscape is to keep your left thumb on the left side, right thumb on the right side. You can see that the gap between rows of keys is just slightly wider in the center of the keyboard. If you stay on the correct sides of that gap, you will have FAR fewer errors.
    01-28-09 10:38 AM
    I am VERY fast on my Storm now. At first I was slow, but that is the same for any new keyboard. I was very slow when I first got my Curve, but I became very fast. I am now as fast on my Storm as I was on my Curve...seriously. I suggest buying the Storm, using it for a month, and if you dont like it, take it back and get something else.
    01-28-09 10:40 AM
    With spell check errors here and there don't even matter. At first I made some errors and typed slowly but just like when learning to type on the computer once you get use to it, its second nature.
    01-28-09 10:42 AM
    I was worried about the same issues before I got my Storm. It took about 2 days or so for me to get used to the typing, and about a week to get up to what i would consider a good typing speed / ability. There are some issues with it, if you have your keyboard settings "wrong" for your way of typing it can throw you off, play with them until you get it how you like. There were some issues with lag on the keyboard but since i went to .90 I haven't had any problems at all, everything works great, i'm still getting used to the suretype or whatever in portrait mode but it's easy enough to use when driving or something and need to one hand text.
    01-28-09 11:16 AM
    I didnt take the time to read all the replies so Im not sure if this has been addressed but the Storm still has quite a few issues. While sending email and text's is much better than the iPhone 3G the constant pulling of the battery for one reason or another gets old.

Im not saying this happens to everyone but Im on my third phone and whenever the the phone locks up or has some other issue I have to take gel case off, remove the back cover, pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, put the phone back together than wait another 4 minutes for the phone to boot back up, after doing this 2 or 3 times a day you start to wonder if its worth having the phone.
    01-28-09 11:28 AM
    Well, I bit the bullet and got my Storm yesterday....

And I am extremely pleased with my decision, this phone is awesome. I have adjusted to the landscape qwerty keyboard for the most part. My secret is my left htumb does not go past the TGV column and my right doesn't go past the YHB column. This has helped me tremendously.

I haven't had any problems with the phone locking up yet *knock on wood*. Downloaded a few apps, ringtones and wallpapers that look really good on this phone. The thing I'm loving is my e-mail and messaging capabilities that were pretty crappy on my old Treo. This phone makes my Treo look like one of those stone tablets from the Flintstones in that regard.

I did have one scare this morning. I dropped my phone in my truck and thought i had scratched the screen already. After a couple of hours of anger/depression, a friend pointed out that it comes with a screen protector and to see if it was really the screen that was scratched. Lo and behold, it was just the protector. needless to say, a case and screen protector are on the way to my house now.

I'm excited to have this phone and can't wait to see what the future holds for it as more apps and updates come down the pipe.
    01-29-09 02:53 PM
    After you get used to it, the typing is awesome. I had the Dare before this and I love this way more. I agree, when correcting the settings to fit your style I think you will love the phone. You have to give it some time. It is frustrating at first but after the learning curve it is truly an awesome phone.
    01-29-09 04:02 PM
    yeah ... having owned the 8100 and 8130 .. i was soooo much more used to the SureType and love it ... but have been getting my qwerty on .. as of late ... especially when typing in spanish or french and i don't feel like taking the extra steps to change the input language ..
    i just turn it on its side and type away...

you get faster as time goes on too. and allenbeasly is right ... i just keep typing and let her catch up to me .. but that used to happen on my Pearl too .. heheheh
    01-29-09 07:31 PM
    I've also gotten used to the typing and I now think it's very good. Another thing to consider is Vlingo, which allows you not only to open programs with a voice command but to compose e-mails and to do other text functions by voice. Vlingo hasn't yet issued a version specifically for the Storm but the current version works pretty well, once you get it installed and set up correctly.
    01-29-09 08:23 PM
    it's excellent the storm...now with the qwerty in potrait mode ..even better
    i have a big tumb but still once you get the feel...typing with your eye's close is even possible...
    01-29-09 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD