My storm2 is my first smartphone so I dont have much to compare it to but I read on here that alot of people say a disadvantage of the storm1 and 2 is that you can't type as fast as you can on other blackberry's with keyboards. Is this true? What are your experiences?
    05-13-10 03:55 PM
    Depends. All I can say is that I find typing in landscape mode easier, but less convenient and slow. In portrait mode I can type easy, but less accurate than on a QWERTY keyboard. Not sure about my typing speed, but I think it's on par with my previous typing speed on a QWERTY device.
    05-13-10 03:59 PM
    It's all a very personal thing. Some claim the touchscreen works better, others claim a physical, QWRTY keyboard works better and still others claim the SurePress technology slows them up. It's clearly a matter of "to each his/her own."

Perosnally, I detested the physical keyboards, I could not type quickly or accurately on them. I got rid of my first Berry, a World Edition, out of sheer frustration. It was not until the Storm 1 came out on Nov. 11, 2008 that I jumped on it immediately and have not looked back. My Storm 2 is even better and I almost always type in Landscape mode..I dislike Portrait.

My advice: Don't worry about what others are saying/claiming, worry only if it works for you or not. It take a little getting used to, but once you do, it's easy as can be. You can also play with your settings by going to: OPTIONS/SCREEN KEYBOARD and there are 3 settings to adjust. Personally, I've not been able to really tell much of a difference, but others swear by it!
    05-13-10 04:00 PM
    I can type in landscape mode just as fast if not even faster when I had an 8830 and 8330. It's all a matter of practice and getting used to it.
    05-13-10 04:02 PM
    I can type in landscape mode just as fast if not even faster when I had an 8830 and 8330. It's all a matter of practice and getting used to it.

Yeah that makes sense...I feel like I type pretty fast on my storm2 when its in landscape. I dont know anyone who types on any touchscreen smartphone in portrait mode. I guess I would expect these answers in a storm2 thread.
    05-13-10 04:22 PM
    I dont know anyone who types on any touchscreen smartphone in portrait mode.
    I'm shocked at how fast my 16 year old can type in portrait mode.
    05-13-10 04:24 PM
    I type in all 3 modes. Landscape also my favorite and likely my fastest. I don't think any of my previous keyboard models were any faster or more accurate. In fact since my S1, I can't even use a tour or 8700. And with the S2 it is much better. Never used a solid screen for typing before except my stand alone GPS and that sucks for typing.
    05-13-10 04:29 PM
    I actually type better on the Storm series better than the qwerty keyboards. My hands are too big for them. I tried portrait on the Storm2 and that was fast too. Landscape is the best but I have gotten pretty good in portrait as well. It is all a matter of preference

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 04:38 PM
    Had a Curve 8330 before my S2, and it is about the same. The increase/decrease in speed is negligible. I agree with prior posters - it's all about preference.

I would go back to a full QWERTY in the future. I would miss the Huge screen of the S2 though. Everything is a Tradeoff I guess...
    05-13-10 04:40 PM
    For speed, I find portrait SureType is the best once you get used to it. I find I can even type shorter messages pretty quickly with just one thumb. One trick is to not watch the words as they are typed in. It will **** you up for sure. You have to trust the force. Once I did, I was flying.

I generally only flip to landscape for strange words that SureType won't pick up or know. Having been on a QWERTY BB for years, I never would have guessed I would not prefer QWERTY on the Storm, but I don't.

Incidentally, I went to type something on my wife's curve the other day and it just felt weird.

I do agree with a poster above, everybody has a different preference. Just make sure you give the portrait a chance. It is an acquired taste.
    05-13-10 06:24 PM
    SureType and SurePress are a powerful combination that makes the Storm2 a great device to type on. No other touchscreen device is useable to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 06:31 PM
    I got the Storm 2 simply because I don't feel like texting anymore. I still have the unlimited text plan, but I don't send them. When I feel like replying to a text, I just call back. if they don't pick up , then I forget about it.

Moral of the story is that you should consider how much you are actually going to type on a regular basis.
    05-13-10 06:37 PM
    I fly on the Storm, usually using landscape keyboard. I have "fat fingers", and I definitely am more accurate (and therefore faster) using the full landscape mode keyboard. I'll use sure-type in portrait when I'm one-hand typing, which isn't that bad either.

I've had several models issued to me for work (7510, 7520, 7100, 8830, 9630) at one time or another, and if given a choice, I'll take the touchscreen Storm every time.
    05-13-10 08:00 PM
    I dont type well in landscape mode but in suretype, I breeze through words faster than I ever did on my curve 8330. Granted, there are few occasions where a word is complicated and is easier to type on landscape, but most of the time if I flip it for that, I'll flip it right back to portrait suretype to finish off my reply.

For longer e-mails, this phone is perfect, especially in suretype. Only problem is that you will want a soft responsive screen and not al S2s have been made the same way. I have a perfect one now and I will guard it with my life
    05-13-10 09:09 PM
    Yeah that makes sense...I feel like I type pretty fast on my storm2 when its in landscape. I dont know anyone who types on any touchscreen smartphone in portrait mode. I guess I would expect these answers in a storm2 thread.
    I ONLY USE the Portrait, SureType, mode and I can FLY through typing; certainly faster than my Pearl.
    05-13-10 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD