So what do you all think the touch screen will be like. I'm hoping its capacitive and not pressure sensitive. Not to bag on the pressure ones but capacitive touchscreens seem like they work so much better. That and I'm sure Rim has done plenty of research on what works best. Wow. I'm getting really excited for this phone. I like the iphone but it lacks a lot of the basic features that make a smartphone a smartphone. Is everyone else getting stoked for the Thunder?

Especially after those media player screen shots. OMG!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 11:56 AM
    It's a multitouch screen which means it is not a pressure sensitive screen (thank god) since they can only register one spot at a time. It "should" have a touch screen similar to the iPhones.
    07-09-08 08:49 AM
    Sweet. That's what I wanted to hear.

07-10-08 01:23 PM
    Sweet. That's what I wanted to hear.

Yeah, it's what really sold me when I found out. I own a HTC Vogue (The CDMA Touch) and I have grown to hate the touch screen on it since it's pressure sensitive and I find myself having to press the screen multiple times very often to get things to work. I had no intentions to want to buy a Thunder until I heard it was not going to use the screen technology that was designed for a stylus, but rather one that was actually designed for the human finger.
    07-10-08 08:19 PM
    I have a question in regards to the Thunder (a.k.a. Storm) does it come with a stylus? Just curious.
    07-14-08 12:55 PM
    I have a question in regards to the Thunder (a.k.a. Storm) does it come with a stylus? Just curious.
    Even though I'm not BlackBerry, I can promise you that it won't come with one. Multitouch screens are pretty much designed completely for fingers. They do make them, but you have to make sure it's designed for a multitouch screen because your standard stylus will not work on that screen technology.

You need something like this.

About the Pogo Stylus
    07-14-08 05:47 PM
    Pretty cool vaxick. I have such fat and clumsy fingers that the Pogo Stylus would great help me in longer emails I write. I am excited about a touch screen that is useful. I had a Motorola A1200 for awhile and it was a bummer to use. I will just have to wait until they get a GSM version.
    07-14-08 09:15 PM
    Pretty cool vaxick. I have such fat and clumsy fingers that the Pogo Stylus would great help me in longer emails I write. I am excited about a touch screen that is useful. I had a Motorola A1200 for awhile and it was a bummer to use. I will just have to wait until they get a GSM version.
    It'll be nice to use for web browsing in general for those links that aren't so finger friendly.
    07-15-08 02:53 PM
    Do you think having a touch screen and a physical QWERTY keyboard (similar to the LG Voyager) that flips open would be good? That would give the user more options on how to enter text. It would have to be done in such a way that it doesn't affect the thickness of the device though. Just a thought. If I didn't love Blackberry and if I was on Verizon I would get an LG.

08-11-08 02:55 AM
    I think that adding a keyboard like the voyager would make the phone a lot thicker. I think that only having a Gig of internal mem is going to keep it really thin too.
    08-11-08 12:11 PM
    I was told the iPhone's touch screen triggered off heat from your finger... Is this what is referred to capacitive?

I know that on the iPhone, you can't use your fingernails to operate the screen.

Also, I heard, from the ATT sales people at their store that the 9500, Thunder, is/was having problems with their touch screen. From what they said, when you pressed on the screen if warped the graphics around your fingers... which to me implies a soft touch screen rather than glass. I don't see how this would be possible using the capacitive glass screen.

Is this true or were they just spreading propaganda?

Dennis
    08-11-08 04:15 PM
    I would never get my information about a Verizon exclusive phone from an AT&T rep. Now if you ask a RIM rep, that's a different story.
    08-12-08 02:27 PM
    I would never get my information about a Verizon exclusive phone from an AT&T rep. Now if you ask a RIM rep, that's a different story.
    Yeah I agree, but I did some research and found this...

Here's what Boy Genius wrote this morning:

….Thunder won’t be ready for at least another 4-5 months.” Our source goes on to tell us that the keyboard is incredibly annoying to type on, and the screen actually shows ripples even when pressed ever-so-lightly. ...”
    Here is the actual link so those who want to see this in real light can... It's about 3/4 of the way down the page...

BlackBerry Sync | get in sync with the latest BlackBerry news | Archive | Thunder / 9500

I'm sure BB will get this worked out... and remember this phone still has a lot of time left before release. Thought I would share.

Dennis
    Last edited by dlt123; 08-17-08 at 05:52 PM.
    08-12-08 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD