Upgraded last week to .99 and phone has really started to impress me.

This morning I woke up and had a notice on my BB that I had 3 new emails in my gmail inbox. I went into my office and logged into my desktop and deleted the emails. About an hour later when I got to work I pulled out my phone to clear the messages and turn it off...there was no more notice about the 3 emails. And the three emails I deleted on my computer are no longer in my BB inbox.

I know gmail wasn't supporting two-way reconciliation previously but is it now? Can anyone else confirm this?
    02-06-09 07:47 AM
    i have noticed this as well for the past week.
    02-06-09 08:52 AM
    sweet, this makes my BB experience that much more awesome. It was previously a pain to have to delete things in two locations.
    02-06-09 08:54 AM
    That's not working for me. I'm not using BIS. Does that matter?
    02-06-09 09:09 AM
    Yes, the gmail two-way reconcile would need BIS to work. Otherwise you would be reconciling with your BES server.
    02-06-09 09:17 AM
    Okay, by BIS I meant I don't use [email protected]. I'm a BB noob so forgive me. I just set up my gmail account as the email it should gather. I don't use the gmail app.
    02-06-09 09:19 AM
    That's a great feature!! But its not happening for me.... is this only possible with the leaked OS .99?

I'm still running the .76 that was on the storm when I bought it.
    02-06-09 09:21 AM
    Okay, by BIS I meant I don't use [email protected]. I'm a BB noob so forgive me. I just set up my gmail account as the email it should gather. I don't use the gmail app.
    Yes you are using BIS. BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) is for people who use their BB for work and receive their email and settings from their Enterprise server.

The GMail app uses the BIS services but it actually loads the gmail mobile website. Two way reconciliation would apply to those of us who have setup our gmail accounts to use IMAP (Not POP) access. You might check this on your phone because it makes a big difference. If you did not specifically set it up to use IMAP it is default setup with POP access. POP access doesn't permit the two-way reconciliation. POP only downloads the messages from your gmail account to your phone. There are excellent instructions here in the forums for setting your gmail IMAP access up on your storm.

I am not sure if its just .99 that allows this work or not...I can't imagine the OS would be the deciding factor.
    02-06-09 09:28 AM
    You have explained this most excellently. I appreciate it!
    02-06-09 09:30 AM
    Okay, I did all the setup and yet it's not working. I delete something in gmail on the web and it still goes to my phone or stays on it. Hmmm. I am on .99
    02-06-09 10:54 AM
    Yep, two-way reconcile on GMAIL seems to be working for me as well.
    02-06-09 11:35 AM
    Not working for me.
    02-06-09 01:34 PM
    Yep working for me if I choose reconcile.
    02-06-09 01:42 PM
    Is this specific to the gmail app?

I have every possible message coming into the blackberry messages application, including my gmail.

(edit) Oh, I figured it out. Reading helps.
    Last edited by rmhead; 02-06-09 at 02:02 PM.
    02-06-09 01:44 PM
    Never Mind. Ignore this post.
    02-06-09 01:48 PM
    Well it's now working for me as well. I'm running .99
    02-06-09 02:03 PM
    Okay, I did all the setup and yet it's not working. I delete something in gmail on the web and it still goes to my phone or stays on it. Hmmm. I am on .99
    I do not want to assume anything here and I am not trying to talk down to you but are you SURE you followed the instructions to the letter for setting up gmail as IMAP? Inside of your gmail account in the account settings dialog make sure POP access is disabled and make sure IMAP is enabled. If you aren't careful gmail will re-enable POP access and set up your account as a POP account (rendering two-way reconcile useless).

These are good instructions for the setup...with one modification
    BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Set up Gmail IMAP

Step 6 says to use your actual gmail email...do not use it. Use [email protected] and a bogus password. Using your gmail will tell the phone to connect to gmail's servers and it will default to POP without telling you. This is were it can enable POP for your account even if you have disabled it. This is crucial and you must do it this way for your IMAP setup to work.

Once you submit this account info, in order to see the "I will provide the settings to add this email account" option you will need to minimize the onscreen keyboard. It hides the check box.

Then continue to follow the instructions at the above link. They work perfectly.

With that said, if you have done this already I apologize but can't assume anything.

I do not know how long it takes the BB to reconcile with gmail. I would imagine it polls gmail every x minutes (10 or 15 would sound reasonable). So if you get it set up give it a while to reconcile itself before you declare two-way reconciliation doesn't work for you.

Also ensure you have wireless reconciliation enabled. Using the above link the instructions are under the procedure for setting up gmail with IMAP access. Read that entire page for a better understanding of this process.
    02-06-09 02:05 PM
    I do not want to assume anything here and I am not trying to talk down to you but are you SURE you followed the instructions to the letter for setting up gmail as IMAP? Inside of your gmail account in the account settings dialog make sure POP access is disabled and make sure IMAP is enabled. If you aren't careful gmail will re-enable POP access and set up your account as a POP account (rendering two-way reconcile useless).
    No insult taken. I checked. It says:
    POP Download:
    1. Status: POP is disabled

Step 6 says to use your actual gmail email...do not use it. Use [email protected] and a bogus password. Using your gmail will tell the phone to connect to gmail's servers and it will default to POP without telling you. This is were it can enable POP for your account even if you have disabled it. This is crucial and you must do it this way for your IMAP setup to work.
    OH! Well, I bet that is the difference. I will try it later.
    02-06-09 02:16 PM
    testing this now....
    02-06-09 03:00 PM
    Not working so far, does it take extra long for it to delete from the phone?
    02-06-09 03:05 PM
    Not working so far, does it take extra long for it to delete from the phone?

Mine has always been instant.
    02-06-09 03:08 PM
    I suspect the process works likes this:

Every x minutes the BB checks into gmail to see if there are new messages or any other changes to reconcile. I do not know exactly that this is how it works though. I would say give it an hour and see if it happens, if not I am at a loss for what to say. For some it seems to work.
    02-06-09 03:09 PM
    i noticed the reconcile work but sometimes it can take up to a whole day !
    02-06-09 03:17 PM
    Mine has always been instant.
    Yeah I dont get that. My wife has a curve and her emails come though INSTANTLY, but take up to 15 minutes on my storm I dont understand..
    02-06-09 03:19 PM
    Hmm not saying receiving, I meant deleting them and it reconciling instantly......

Sorry for the confusion
    02-06-09 03:23 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD