I'm from the UK and I'm currently on my maiden Blackberry 2 9520. I've unlocked it and I'm now using the phone via a pay as you go Orange SIM. I'm a little stumped with a few things, so please be kind towards my obvious naivety:

Can you use Google maps and/or Blackberry Maps completely free and without the aids of any data packages, ect?

I've never upgraded an OS for a cell phone, but I've decided that if it makes the phone a little more stable, then what the ****. Could someone please link me to the latest or most stable OS.

Thanks in advance.
    05-08-10 07:55 PM
    You have to have data for maps to work as for the os do a search on here you'll find links and a lot of opinions on which is best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 11:23 PM
    Hi,
    As you are on Orange UK, you can get a data plan from Orange by ringing them and asking for 'Blackberry Email' (Same as USA Data Plan). This will give you 'Push Email' from say Gmail without you having to do anything but click the 'mail' button on your phone. There is a monthly cost of 5 though for this 'Plan' but it is worth it. You also get maps and a Google GPS which although slow works.

I think Orange Uk are very good and well worth staying with.

I cannot help with the various OS systems that the American guys on here seem to have a mania for always wanting to upgrade every few week. I still use version 5 which works well for me.

You will also need to go onto the Blackberry site and download 'Blackberry Manager'' that will back up all your stuff and update your OS when a new version is ready.
    regards.
    Ron, Wales, UK.
    Last edited by moofychops; 05-09-10 at 01:17 PM.
    05-09-10 01:14 PM
    Hi,
    As you are on Orange UK, you can get a data plan from Orange by ringing them and asking for 'Blackberry Email' (Same as USA Data Plan). This will give you 'Push Email' from say Gmail without you having to do anything but click the 'mail' button on your phone. There is a monthly cost of 5 though for this 'Plan' but it is worth it. You also get maps and a Google GPS which although slow works.

I think Orange Uk are very good and well worth staying with.

I cannot help with the various OS systems that the American guys on here seem to have a mania for always wanting to upgrade every few week. I still use version 5 which works well for me.

You will also need to go onto the Blackberry site and download 'Blackberry Manager'' that will back up all your stuff and update your OS when a new version is ready.
    regards.
    Ron, Wales, UK.
    Hiya,

Wales? Nice. I'm from Scotland. The net's a small world.

Thanks for all that information, mate, it's very much appreciated. And I agree with you, Orange is definitely the best and fairest network in the UK.

Not to sound cheap or anything but I do find it a little ridiculous that a phone with GPS built-in requires a data plan, but that's capitalism for you... not that I'm a communist or anything... yet.

I bought my phone on eBay and really paid a pittance, because I used a voucher, so I'm going to resell it on eBay (because I will receive a lot more than I actually paid) and I'll use that money to buy a replacement phone.

I might buy another Blackberry, but I don't know.

Just out of curousity, is there any phones out there that have an in-built GPS and can do the navigation thing without paying extras? I had a Nokia Navigator, which was awesome, but I had to upgrade.

Oh, and thanks, Esteve1.
    05-09-10 07:06 PM
    Hi,
    I use an Android phone in the evenings ( Blackberry for all my work needs). and that has Goole GPs. The cheapest on Uk Ebay is the HTC Hero, can be got as low as 150 at present. If you get it unlocked then of course you can use your Orange sim card.
    Ron, Wales, UK
    05-10-10 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD