I notice that the screen has about 5/16" of dead area to the right of the "p" character at the right in normal qwerty, but the "a" character is almost dead against the edge. Therefore, at least on my phone, the "a" character suffers more from the "difficult clicking near the edges issue" than doe the opposite edge. If I rotate the phone the opposite way, (buttons left), the "p" key is a bit hard to push.

So the question is: Maybe we'd be better off if they narrowed the keyboard a bit in qwerty mode, so that we're not trying to press that single button at the middle under the screen from such an inherently weak location? They ought to squeeze all the characters to the right a bit so that the "a" at the left was the same distance from the physical screen edge as the "p" is at the right.

Obviously, the hardware can't be upgraded unless they replaced all our phones, but the key layout and spacing is all software, they could change that, or even make it user adjustable.

While I'm getting a bit toward the wilder side here, one of the smartest things they could do would be to enable selecting your own key layout. We'd all be better off with Dvorak layout, especially for us righties it would put all the vowels under your right thumb.

And what about those numbers in qwerty mode, *WHY* are the numerals on the left?

Side point: Does anyone else have an issue with the caret (typing point) jumping back by itself from time to time? I think it's usually after hitting the "a" key or in that area, suddenly the caret is blinking 5-10 characters to the left.

--bg
    Last edited by rvgraham; 12-02-08 at 10:43 AM.
    12-02-08 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD