I bought the Storm Saturday.

I went to return it today. I have had a 7100t about three years ago, and if it was a touch screen I would still be using it today.

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left.
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead.
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed.
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.
    9) No flash.
    10) No pdf viewer.
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door.
    19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone?
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...
    You shouldn't have that many problems out of the box. I think this is just another instance of Verizon ruining their phones with their add-on software.

I have been pretty impressed with most BlackBerries that have come out in the past few years, but the software problems with the Flip, Bold, and Storm are concerning me. Slowness??? Why would they even release something that is slow?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 07:53 AM
    You shouldn't have that many problems out of the box. I think this is just another instance of Verizon ruining their phones with their add-on software.

I have been pretty impressed with most BlackBerries that have come out in the past few years, but the software problems with the Flip, Bold, and Storm are concerning me. Slowness??? Why would they even release something that is slow?

FYI, its not blackberry that is releasing the new phones that are slow. The individual carriers release the phones. They are eager to release all of them so they can get them out early enough for the holidays and so they can have discounts after thanksgiving. RIM is not at fault here. I have no doubt that they would not have released the phone if it was up to them.
    11-24-08 08:00 AM

There are plenty of reasons they would release something slow.

1: Consumer pressure - Key devices need to be out by holidays otherwise the phone will be a flop

2: Consumer pressure - There is a huge userbase out there that before the storm was commercialized or anything was already spreading word about the storm, even before it was announced. When people know things it spreads, that generates calls into a center which costs the company money everytime a rep has to spend 5 - 10 minutes explaining they know nothing and the customer hangs up only to call again later, costing the business MORE money.

3: A ton of people aren't having issues with their software once GETTING used to it, a lot of the negative posters have come back and said "Wait, user error, my bad, it's got a little bit but really not that bad"

4: Why wait til something is perfect to relase? For a device like this it will never be perfect, it will always have issues, and 80% is going to always be user error. When a product is out and well enough to release no reason to keep it in production for 2 more months, miss the holiday rush, and also wait for the economy to worsen more while your potential customers MIGHT flock to "greener pastures" and i use that term very facetiously.

All in all there are reasons for everything, people that have been to school longer than me, make more money than me for a reason, authorized this release, both RIM and Verizon, and RIM and Vodaphone, it's not a one sided deal here, so that makes TWO sets of people that are smarter than me and understand the industry, consumers, and business more than I do saying "it's time to release this product"

I'm happy it's released, mass consumer testing will always be better than any beta testing, and beta users probably already got used to the quirks and don't have as many issues as a new user may, therefore they may not discover as many bugs/problems.

Just my $.02
    11-24-08 08:07 AM
    FYI, its not blackberry that is releasing the new phones that are slow. The individual carriers release the phones. They are eager to release all of them so they can get them out early enough for the holidays and so they can have discounts after thanksgiving. RIM is not at fault here. I have no doubt that they would not have released the phone if it was up to them.
    To a degree, you are correct, however any manufacturer provides the phones to the carrier with specific programming hard coded into the device specifically for that carrier--add to that the fact that this was a Major North American Premier, and it would be realistically impossible to blame this solely on VZW.
    11-24-08 08:12 AM

I went to return it today. I have had a 7100t about three years ago, and if it was a touch screen I would still be using it today.

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds. This is supposed to be fixed in a OS update, seriously my portrait to landscape is 2 seconds tops.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left. Editing in the text field must be a user error for you, if you would have walked through the user setup the first time it is easily explained. Hold your thumb/finger over the sentence the cursor will turn into a square, drag your thumb/finger to the point you want to edit.
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead. Make sure your not in pan mode rather than the select mode
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed. Snooze button? I take it it's in the alarm clock, not sure about this I have a real alarm clock that I've used for several years.
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion. Manage connections/select bluetooth two button presses, read the manual, run through the setup wizard it's all in there.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that? Are you using the keyboard correctly I noticed that if I try to use only "one thumb" I have more mistakes, if I use both thumbs virtually mistake free
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols. Again, this is just a common issue with screen reality, they chose to do that because there is more space when in LANDSCAPE, this is just a user annoyance I find it a non issue
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails. See Number 2
    9) No flash. I'm going to punt on this one, i hate flash, don't care about flash find it rather annoying
    10) No pdf viewer. Yes it does.
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul. Probably due to the Mogul never used one before so I'm not sure, probably user error
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail. Fatal error on the device or on what? I haven't had a fatal error yet, prove it
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.Can't comment haven't used bluetooth
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen. Turn the sound off it drives me nuts with it on.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer. Only when the desktop manager is talking to the device, turn off desktop manager and the phone works
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door. I would have been pissed if the device was delayed, whose with me?
    19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone? Read the manual, walk thru the setup wizard most of your gripes were there.
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use. good for you
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide. accelerameter really doesn't work when it's flat for me, it must be in the upright or tilted postion.
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank... Not sure about this one, did you get VZW to resend service books, mine has worked fine since day one
    I'm sure only a few people are having minor issues, but usually they are Operator Error as we call it in the IT industry.
    11-24-08 08:12 AM
    Lots of good points. I agree with most...
    Hoping most will be addressed soon?!?
    11-24-08 08:19 AM
    To a degree, you are correct, however any manufacturer provides the phones to the carrier with specific programming hard coded into the device specifically for that carrier--add to that the fact that this was a Major North American Premier, and it would be realistically impossible to blame this solely on VZW.
    Well yea, you can't really entirely blame vz. If RIM got .82 right when they were supposed to, it would have been launched with that. But since there was a bug so close to release day, they had to release it with .65
    11-24-08 08:20 AM
    did the OP really say there was a problem with the accelerometer when it was laying flat?.... doesn't it use gravity to determine when to move..? it cant turn if gravity isn't moving the accelerometer

maybe i'm wrong though.
    11-24-08 08:22 AM

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds. For me this seemed to happen only if I had too many apps running.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left. Agreed
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead. Agreed
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed. N/A
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.This can be a function of things being different on your last phone.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?Typing is definitely not good.
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.N/A
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.Hmmm...
    9) No flash.Huh
    10) No pdf viewer.N/A
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.N/A
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.N/A
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.N/A
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.I'm able to.
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.Agreed
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.I actually prefer active sync
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door.
    19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone?
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.I think both phones need help on the usability front.
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.I've seen this happen a couple times. lol
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...N/A
    It will be interesting to see what the reviews say after the update is released.
    11-24-08 08:23 AM
    I am still on the fence with my Storm, but some of the things you mention are not related to the Storm.

Do any PDA's have flash? My moto Q didnt, the iphone doesnt. What phones do?

You complained about a lag with too many apps running. How many apps can you run on other phones? Only one on the iphone.

I never had the iphone, but I do have the itouch and my bro has (and LOVES) his iphone. I see that both have issues. Yesterday, we went to a football game together, so while tailgating, we were doing some comparison. The network is about the same speed. He can definitely bring up contacts MUCH faster. Many of the web pages that we compared were designed to fit the iphone. On the BB, I had to move, zoom, scroll. On his iphone, they were just ready to read. Hopefully that will be improved.

I keep trying to compare the Storm to my old AXIM X51v. I know it wasnt a phone, but it was a touch screen PDA, about the same size. But much more stable. As much as everyone bashes WIn Mobile, I wish the Storm was as easy to use and as stable.

I am still hoping that update today will make things better. Today is my 3rd day with the unit, and if I want to return it without a restocking fee, I have to do it today. I think I will keep it at least another week, so I can see how it handles a work day (I am off this week).
    11-24-08 08:32 AM
    I'm so glad I didn't rush out (like I normally do), to get one of these...
    11-24-08 08:45 AM
    Funny how he was just trying to say some problems he experienced as a new user and everyone is blasting him saying the phone is amazing he is wrong.

It is bs that you need to learn how to deal with all the random BB problems to call it a good phone.

Most people in this post even said "why didn't you post here first when you found the problem"

You shouldn't even have to look to a forum for help with a new product, it should work right from the beginning. Who wants to trouble shoot as soon as they're handed something.

11-24-08 08:48 AM
    You shouldn't even have to look to a forum for help with a new product, it should work right from the beginning. Who wants to trouble shoot as soon as they're handed something.

Good point. I think if it wasn't for the holidays, this phone would have been delayed until it was more ready to launch. My VZW curve was perfect when I got it.
    11-24-08 08:58 AM
    Sound to me like a software update and some time to get used to a new os would have done him ok. As for the app issues, it is still a phone and not a 5000$ high end pc. And by no means am I bashing on him for his phone opinion. But there. Is always a learning curve when getting a new device!

11-24-08 08:59 AM
    Good point. I think if it wasn't for the holidays, this phone would have been delayed until it was more ready to launch. My VZW curve was perfect when I got it.
    Welcome to the 21st century and being early adapters/bleeding edge. This is pretty standard nowadays...
    11-24-08 09:01 AM
    Funny how he was just trying to say some problems he experienced as a new user and everyone is blasting him saying the phone is amazing he is wrong.

It is bs that you need to learn how to deal with all the random BB problems to call it a good phone.

Most people in this post even said "why didn't you post here first when you found the problem"

Troubleshoot rather walk thru the setup wizard and or read the manual it came with, sounded more like operator error to me than anything else.
    11-24-08 09:04 AM
    No kidding... Poor guy was just frustrated with his device. You would think he was attacking your child or something. The phone is a mess, yea it may be software, but some of his issues clearly are not. The keyboard is quite inaccurate. What kind of suspicions would he be guilty of? Plotting a scheme to bash the Storm for the purpose of creating iPhone revenue? Come on.. I know we all love our berries, but no need to get emotionally attached to yours and attack others for calling out the faults of one.

Raise suspicions? Are you kidding?

I have 22 years in the computer industry and have been using cell phones since just after the bricks.

Since you all have suggested that these cannot be problems, post your solutions and stop attacking me (almost personally) for what I find lacking in this phone. Friendly group are ya?

As a new user, who the **** has four weeks to wait for updates, figure out how to use it and run a business from it? Functionality is seriously lacking when it takes huge numbers of key presses to get something done due to the implementation of the screen.
    11-24-08 09:12 AM
    This is thread #1,000 talking about the same things, maybe thats why. We all know the issues...
    11-24-08 09:15 AM
    Wow is everyone on this board just up blackberry's *** or what? I mean that guy posted his concerns and gets nothing but flaming. He has alot of valid points. I personally about about to return mine.. I mean it's a sweet phone but not good enough for me to drop a $25 a month plan i with a buddy on sprint. If the phone was stable and ran as fast as I expect it should then I would probably deal with the $100 bill a month but since my company is going under I'm going to return it and just keep my $22 bill
    11-24-08 09:23 AM
    This is thread #1,000 talking about the same things, maybe thats why. We all know the issues...
    No, I think what the issue, that no one wants to admit is this:

The people that are lashing out at others, for complaining about the Storms crappy user experience, are

1)Nervous that they purchased a phone that could decrease productivity rather than increase.

2)Wanted the Storm so bad for months, ignored the pre-release reviews, rushed out and bought one any ways.

3)Have blind faith that some OS update will be the "fix all" to all of the storms issues.

4)Have a sinking feeling in their gut that they made a mistake, and they are going to argue, and bash anyone who verifies this realization, because they are trying to sugar coat this reality and "say it ain't so."

The bottom line is, I had major expectations for this phone. It didn't meet them. I told the rep to keep the phone he was holding for me at VZ. Regardless of OS. There are some major flaws, that far outweigh the flaws of it's competition, even when the competition was released.
    Last edited by lespaul; 11-24-08 at 09:27 AM.
    11-24-08 09:25 AM
    No one craps on the 1,000 "the storm is great" threads. Ppl should be allowed to post about their experience with the phone, good or bad.
    11-24-08 09:27 AM

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left.
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead.
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed.
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.
    9) No flash.
    10) No pdf viewer.
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...
    Awwwww...Does duh wittew baby feew better now ?
    11-24-08 09:30 AM
    No one is closing or locking the threads. I think both the I love or I hate should be locked or merged into one big thread. My issue with the "I hate" threads is that it is well known there is a software issue that will be solved soon. If after that nothing is fixed we can start 1 big thread to complain...
    11-24-08 09:33 AM
    i love my storm, but everything he mentioned is a problem that I have encountered. I hope these can be fixed soon.
    11-24-08 09:38 AM
    Whether something can or will be fixed or not is not the concern here...

Let me explain. When RIM engineers designed the Storm and turned it from portrait to landscape, do you think they said to the team of Executives they demo'd this to "Watch me turn the screen and wait for it... Wait for it... Almost there... Wait... Wai... And viola! Screen changes in 6 seconds boss! Impressive huh?" Probably not.

RIM is at stake here. The BlackBerry name. These are quality devices that get a bad rap because providers are in a rush to make holiday sales. In the long run, that is only going to hurt RIM and cost them consumers.

11-24-08 06:10 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD