I bought the Storm Saturday.

I went to return it today. I have had a 7100t about three years ago, and if it was a touch screen I would still be using it today.

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left.
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead.
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed.
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.
    9) No flash.
    10) No pdf viewer.
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door.
    19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone?
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...
    Last edited by PC-ASSIST; 11-24-08 at 01:38 AM. Reason: additions
    11-24-08 01:32 AM
    What store did you return it to so I can go buy it.
    11-24-08 01:34 AM
    sounds like you have some major software issues.. did you remove vwz nav / do you even use it? do a battery pull etc? I dont know anyone that would say the accuracy for the screen is bad. Either you have a dud phone or decided to hate it before you even tried it.

This being your first post and all... its obvious you haven't even checked into these issues
    11-24-08 01:36 AM
    That's alot to find wrong in 26 hours... Seeing as how you have one post to your name and the in-depth explanation as to everything that is wrong... It might raise suspicions...... In the end, the phone isn't for everyone, wish it could have worked for you.
    11-24-08 01:41 AM
    thats nice.

anybody care......?

anybody?
    11-24-08 01:43 AM
    You're first mistake was not coming in here to help solve some of your problems. If you did, oh wells, you probably got one of those phones. RIM didn't market this phone just for the iphone, but you can go buy a iphone now and be happy right? RIM markets this phone to compete with ALL touchscreen phones. It's just some idiots always mention the iphone a lot, wonder why?
    11-24-08 01:43 AM
    he has some good points from a user who has never touched a blackberry but some of the things stated he is comparing to the models that have been updated over the time. This including the iPhone if you think the iPhone was all fun and games the day it came out you have another thing coming. The phone was a freaking HUGE headache untill they updated it.

It may not seem intuitive right off the bat to someone who has never used a blackberry. However when you get used to using a blackberry. You realize really quickly how terrible everything else you owned was for communication.

BB's are leaps and bounds above other devices when it comes to communication

my 2 cents.

and no I am not biased I used a iPhone for over a year and a half and enjoyed a ton about it. But some of the things that were mentioned in your post about a blackberry has nothing to do with the storm and has more to do with learning a blackberry in general. In the end your the consumer so its your money and choice but to give something only a 26 hour chance is pretty shafty in a world of constantly changing technologies =)

Sorry
    11-24-08 01:47 AM
    What store did you return it to so I can go buy it.
    Circuit City.
    11-24-08 01:49 AM

It may not seem intuitive right off the bat to someone who has never used a blackberry. However when you get used to using a blackberry. You realize really quickly how terrible everything else you owned was for communication.

Sorry
    THIS is what has me most excited. I'm a first time BB user and don't think I could ever go to any other phone now. The communication capabilities with the BB OS are nothing short of amazing. I trullllyyy do love it I cant wait to really learn the ins and outs and go through software updates, new BB phones, the whole experience.

im becoming a crackberry addict, NO DOUBT
    11-24-08 01:51 AM
    sounds like you have some major software issues.. did you remove vwz nav / do you even use it? do a battery pull etc? I dont know anyone that would say the accuracy for the screen is bad. Either you have a dud phone or decided to hate it before you even tried it.

This being your first post and all... its obvious you haven't even checked into these issues
    Judging my situation by the number of posts I have entered ON THIS BOARD is seemingly ludicrous.

I have been on other forums since 8AM before making my decision.

I need the navigator as I run around fixing computers all day.

I will address your assertion that I decided to hate it: No, I am sorely disappointed with it and have been checking in with as many locations as possible to find solutions to these problems.

Three battery pulls and one wipe.

I will go back to Sprint for now with my Mogul and wait for the product to mature.
    11-24-08 01:52 AM
    I bought the Storm Saturday.

I went to return it today. I have had a 7100t about three years ago, and if it was a touch screen I would still be using it today.

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds.

software

2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left.

software

3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead.

4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed.

software

5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.

6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.
    9) No flash.
    10) No pdf viewer.

it does to pdfs

11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.

software

12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door.

thats not even a reason for anything...

19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone?

Blackberry makes business devices, they made it to appeal more to the general public.

20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.

already complained about that

21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.

software

22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...

looks like you have a couple personal opinion complaints, and a bunch of complaints that should be fixed in the next update.
    11-24-08 01:52 AM
    Many have complained of these issues but there is suppose to be a software update this week that might fix some of these issues.
    11-24-08 01:55 AM
    That's alot to find wrong in 26 hours... Seeing as how you have one post to your name and the in-depth explanation as to everything that is wrong... It might raise suspicions...... In the end, the phone isn't for everyone, wish it could have worked for you.
    Raise suspicions? Are you kidding?

I have 22 years in the computer industry and have been using cell phones since just after the bricks.

Since you all have suggested that these cannot be problems, post your solutions and stop attacking me (almost personally) for what I find lacking in this phone. Friendly group are ya?

As a new user, who the **** has four weeks to wait for updates, figure out how to use it and run a business from it? Functionality is seriously lacking when it takes huge numbers of key presses to get something done due to the implementation of the screen.
    11-24-08 01:57 AM
    Sorry to post on this board, I did not know that you would all take it PERSONALLY and not OBJECTIVELY.

Last post. Adios.
    11-24-08 01:59 AM
    Raise suspicions? Are you kidding?

I have 22 years in the computer industry and have been using cell phones since just after the bricks.

Since you all have suggested that these cannot be problems, post your solutions and stop attacking me (almost personally) for what I find lacking in this phone. Friendly group are ya?

As a new user, who the **** has four weeks to wait for updates, figure out how to use it and run a business from it? Functionality is seriously lacking when it takes huge numbers of key presses to get something done due to the implementation of the screen.
    I understand your frustrations on the device. Verizon just messed up and released the device with the wrong software. It was suppose to be released with 4.7.0.82 and not .65. Verizon messed up big time and should not have released it with the software they did.
    11-24-08 02:02 AM
    Whoa, I clarly said "it might raise suspicions", I then said I wish it could have worked for you. I was not and would never attack you for a posting about your experience with a phone. For what it's worth it's been all over the board, (sunday) about an update being released today. Once again, I wish it could have worked for you.
    11-24-08 02:06 AM
    dude, most of your negative points were either known for a long time (i.e no flash) or are a non issue for most people (10 seconds for it to go from portrait to landscape?)

either ur exaggerating, or had a defective phone. the LONGEST i have ever waited for switch was 3 seconds!
    11-24-08 02:07 AM
    Whoa, I clarly said "it might raise suspicions", I then said I wish it could have worked for you. I was not and would never attack you for a posting about your experience with a phone. For what it's worth it's been all over the board, (sunday) about an update being released today. Once again, I wish it could have worked for you.
    I think the OP just misunderstood your post. I did not see it as attacking as you wished it would have worked out for them.
    11-24-08 02:11 AM
    Okay... as you can tell by the number of posts, I just registered specifically to reply to this thread. I am a brand new bb user and I felt every single one of those frustrations the op felt.

But I did come here to see if any of you guys had any advice... i read up and found some tips. I removed vis vm & vznav. My device felt faster and the switch from portrait to landscape was nearly gone. In regards to his #1, I felt serious problems with it. I would turn the screen, shake it, hit it, and it would not switch for the life of me. It's somewhat better with the removal of those programs tho. It also helps to some of the op's other issues.

I was seriously considering returning the phone as well. But after reading more, I decided on holding off until the next update is available. Most of the issues are software related and so I am hoping that they are resolved with the real release version. I think it's unfair to judge the phone on what everyone is stating is the beta version of the os.
    11-24-08 02:19 AM
    Thanks Garz, I am in no way qualified to flame another person for an opinion about a device.
    11-24-08 02:21 AM
    well what frustrated me the most... about his ladder post was he stated that he had 22 years in the IT field...

I am not trying to attack him in anyway but I have been in the IT field for about 9 years and I know from a non stand point that Blackberry's in general are the leading devices in the business work force without a doubt.

I also know that 26 hours isn't even close to the time that it takes to test something.

However to even go further I also know that you rarely ever put something BRAND SPANKING NEW intoa production environment if it means work getting done.

If it effects the OP's business and is costing money it makes no sense for him to hold onto it right now.

What I feared most was the fact alot of his complaints were vs. the blackberry OS which in a few days he would have mastered and found out that it is a extremely solid communication's OS

So people instead of RAGGING on these guys for not liking the storm.. Don't call them names and crap they may not know what they need to know and are probably more then frustrated.

You have to look at the exact complaints the reason there complaining about it and what can be done right here and now to fix it.

sorry for my rant but i wanted to get it out
    11-24-08 03:01 AM
    To be fair, the location of many of the symbols in landscape mode is set up to be identical to their location on standard QWERTY Blackberry models. For example, on the BB8820, if you hit the "alt" key, located under the "A" key, you can then type the "-" by pressing the "I" key. On the Storm, you hit the "!?123" key, located under the "A" key, which then allows you to type the "-" character by pressing the key that is normally the "I" key. Clearly the landscape keyboard was set up to be familiar to Blackberry users transitioning from other QWERTY models. I don't have experience with other SureType Blackberry models, but I'd venture a guess that the distribution of the symbols when using SureType in Portrait mode is similarly designed to reflect the layout of the other SureType models.
    11-24-08 03:25 AM
    This is my first BB and I have to say, when I got the phone on Friday, I almost started to think it was a mistake to get it and seriously thought about taking it back. As the day went by, I learned a lot of things, figured stuff out, used common sense as I went on with discovering new features and ways to do things the easier way with my new phone. Now, after working it all weekend I love it. Sure, there are a few things that should be different, but hey, it�s a brand new device that needs some getting used to. My point is, after a few hours of use, you haven�t given it enough time. As said before, this phone has a learning curve. I believe a lot of folks heard the bad reviews and once they got their new Storm, they were just trying to spot the negatives on it. I absolutely love my Storm by now and can�t wait for the update to see what improves.
    11-24-08 07:36 AM
    I understand your frustrations on the device. Verizon just messed up and released the device with the wrong software. It was suppose to be released with 4.7.0.82 and not .65. Verizon messed up big time and should not have released it with the software they did.
    I think whatever bug was in .82 was something major and we'd be having more problems with it than with .65. I think it was a last minute issue and at that point with all the advertising them not releasing it would've been a major problem. They backed themselves into a corner for sure...
    11-24-08 07:44 AM
    I skimmed over some of your issues, but didn't really read them closely because you only had it for a day. First of all, you can download a pdf reader, so thats a silly reason (or one of your 20) to edit text you have to press down on a sentence and wait for the the outlined box to pop up then you scroll through and correct the right letters, and thats all I really read. You need to give the phone time for you to get used to it. Wait at least a week. You will be able to return it then too. You have 30 days! So why not just wait a little bit longer, get the new OS update, get used to the phone, and THEN tell us how you like it (or don't)

people will take you much more seriously because you actually gave the phone time and got used to it
    11-24-08 07:51 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD