Hi everyone...this my first thread so I'm sorry if I make any mistakes. I was wondering if anyone
    Knew of a free turn by turn navigator for the storm? This question might have been asked before
    But I tried the search and couldn't find anything on this. Can anyone help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 12:03 AM
    Well if you want to pay for the service VZNvaigator does that with voice commands. Googlemaps and BBMaps do give you directions and you can use the GPS, but not turn by turn. I'm not sure how they would work on the storm but I know other BB's could use telnav (or a few other apps) with a gps receiver to work.
    03-12-09 02:28 AM
    You can also use Nav4All.. This is not that great, but does the job and it is free
    03-12-09 02:36 AM
    Verizon has vzNav free to try for a month. I think it's a great program. You should give it a try.
    03-12-09 03:42 AM
    NAV4ALL seems pretty good. I was just about to buy Garmin for the Storm when I stumbled on this thread.

I've installed NAV4ALL and so far it seems ok. I haven't gone anywhere yet, HEHE.

I'll go out for lunch and take it for a spin and see what happens and report back.
    03-12-09 05:48 AM
    Free with turn by turn:

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

Coming soon....(currently says compatible with the Storm but it really isnt)

amAze - Free GPS Navigation for your mobile phone!
    03-12-09 05:52 AM
    I installed AmaZe on my storm yesterday and put it through some tests. So far it is working great. The only issue I have found so far is the touch screen. You don't need to click. And if you are looking for an app that gives you your coordinates, this one will.
    03-12-09 06:27 AM
    I tried installing amAze on my storm, but it doesn't appear to recognize the GPS.
    03-12-09 07:18 AM
    Kewl...thanks for the links by the way bg. I think ill try them both and let yall know which
    Seems more practical.

03-12-09 08:36 AM
    I tried installing amAze on my storm, but it doesn't appear to recognize the GPS.
    Have you changed the gps setting on your phone inorder for it to work?

Setup - Options - Advanced Options - GPS and then change GPS Service from "E991 Only" to "Location On"
    03-12-09 08:52 AM
    I installed AmaZe on my storm yesterday and put it through some tests. So far it is working great. The only issue I have found so far is the touch screen. You don't need to click. And if you are looking for an app that gives you your coordinates, this one will.
    Not sure how you got your Storm working with AmaZe when the creator says that the Storm version does not function 100% yet.

I get the same problem the Storm owners on that site get. Cannot find satellite.
    03-12-09 09:07 AM
    You will be disappointed with Nav4All. It sounds good on paper, but the maps are terrible, it is hard to enter where you want to know with out knowing the exact township the destination is in, and you have to place a lot of trust in the device if you use the screen where it only has an arrow and tells you where to turn without telling you where you are going (that is if you use it when you really don't know how to get where you are going)

other than that it is ok... besides the voices only working half the time
    03-12-09 09:24 AM
    I have Nav4all and Amaze and for me Amaze is the best free turn by turn GPS out there. Also Nav4all will not be free for good they are going to charge for it in 2010. Just read on thier Web site it says it there.
    03-12-09 09:33 AM
    If you have amAze and it works properly, can you tell me what version OS you are running on your Storm?
    03-12-09 09:59 AM
    If you have amAze and it works properly, can you tell me what version OS you are running on your Storm?
    Version I have is 4.7.0.76
    My provider is Bell and I'm living in the back woods of Nova Scotia and it's finding the most obscure roads on the map. As mentioned the only thing I've found issue with so far is the touch screen, it's quite sensative.

I just checked with amAze the they say to make sure you are using the version build 176 of the 4.5
    Last edited by gordiens; 03-12-09 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added information
    03-12-09 01:40 PM
    I have Nav4all and Amaze and for me Amaze is the best free turn by turn GPS out there. Also Nav4all will not be free for good they are going to charge for it in 2010. Just read on thier Web site it says it there.
    All good things have to come to an end..... maybe by 2010 AmAze will have the gps fix for the storm on Verizon and we can switch to that.
    By the way my 100th post yea from newbie to abuser in under 90 days Ha!
    03-12-09 03:06 PM
    I like VZ Nav. It's not free but I've never gotten lost using it.
    03-12-09 03:25 PM
    The Garmin Software isn't cheap (about $75 after discount on Handango), but it is a pretty polished navigator. Extremely good POI database, easy to enter location, full integration with the address book, etc. If you're looking for free, it obviously doesn't fit that bill, but as opposed to paying $10.00 month for VZ Navigator, its a bargain.
    03-12-09 04:08 PM
    Tried amAze, could not get it to work. Screen is a way too touchy and could not find satellites. At the same time Gmaps found me within 10 meters, so did BBmaps. It kept showing my location in Mexico. Go figure
    03-12-09 04:34 PM
    it does work and is pretty nice but, be careful with the free claim, they said it was free for a year but after the first week were after me to upgrade so I dumped it. I use vznavigator and it is worth the money
    03-14-09 10:13 PM
    Telenav is another $9.99/Mo.service that is pretty goog Check out the thread VZ Navigator vs. Telenav.
    03-15-09 07:18 PM
    I tried both nav4all and amaze and I like the look of amaze but I couldn't get gps to work...
    I checked my gps settings and its on "location on".

03-16-09 10:35 PM
    FYI...I just left the AmazeGPS website and acording to an admin there they are close to releasing a working version for the Storm. They just need a couple of more days or weeks to test. So I guess we'll just have to be patient.
    03-16-09 10:55 PM
    Garmin is pretty awesome. Its not 100% but no GPS is. 80 bucks for life is just about free right?
    03-16-09 11:16 PM
    FYI...I just left the AmazeGPS website and acording to an admin there they are close to releasing a working version for the Storm. They just need a couple of more days or weeks to test. So I guess we'll just have to be patient.
    Good to know...thanx.

03-17-09 12:28 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD