well like the title states, the update recently came out and i can't get it, because:

-I don't have windows, i use Ubuntu( its kinda like Linux i believe )
    -I can't download/install the desktop manager (i downloaded it on my computer, it won't let me even open the install file, and it won't let me install it using the cd either...)
    -I tried to do it OTA but it said i need to clear up 22 mb of personal memory ( does anyone know what this means?)

this is the first Blackberry i've bought as well, so pleease take it easy on me, i'm a n00blar
    06-01-09 01:47 AM
    Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux.

You can try to run an emulator if you have a copy of windows to install...should let you install DM and install the OS also.

as for the 22mb of personal memory...do a battery pull, then go into Options>Memory, scroll to the bottom, and make sure Device Memory has more then 22mb, and make sure Free space is above 22mb also, just in case.
    06-01-09 02:04 AM
    I haven't found anyone who could get DM to run and function correctly on Ubuntu, with a variety of emulators. Apparently there are issues with the USB connections and whatnot.

Fortunately, since you're on Verizon, you don't need a computer to get .148. They are going to send it right to your phone for you. If you don't feel like waiting (it should happen over the next few days), then borrow someone's Windows computer.

Or, if you have a copy of Windows to install, just set up your computer to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu.
    Last edited by bleeps; 06-01-09 at 02:22 AM.
    06-01-09 02:18 AM
    Fortunately, since you're on Verizon, you don't need a computer to get .148. They are going to send it right to your phone for you.
    he tried the OTA update already...no dice. he gets a mem error.
    06-01-09 02:23 AM
    he tried the OTA update already...no dice. he gets a mem error.
    Ah, my apologies, missed that.
    06-01-09 02:24 AM
    but if i do an OTA update, it won't erase any of my numbers/pictures right?
    06-01-09 02:35 AM
    It isn't supposed too...
    06-01-09 02:36 AM
    get the OTA download for google's backup thing they have. then just upload contacts there, and email all the pictures to yourself. that way you have a back up....tho when you "upgrade" vs doing a full wipe and install, everything should be there...SHOULD mind you....

EDIT: here is the program i mentioned, forgot the name :-P had to find it.

Google Mobile - Sync <--direct link to their site. point your BB there, or just go to m.google.com, and do a search for google sync, should take you there also
    06-01-09 02:41 AM
    Just go to Options->Advanced Options->Wireless Update....I did that around 7pm PST which would be 10pm EST and it showed the .148 update available to download. I personally installed it through my PC. This update made the Storm way more responsive and more like a phone, which it should have been. Havn't had any issue and everything works great..even the camera is quick..
    06-01-09 02:45 AM
    Just go to Options->Advanced Options->Wireless Update....I did that around 7pm PST which would be 10pm EST and it showed the .148 update available to download. I personally installed it through my PC. This update made the Storm way more responsive and more like a phone, which it should have been. Havn't had any issue and everything works great..even the camera is quick..
    again, he tried the OTA, and got an error. as of yet, we do not know if it has been resolved.
    06-01-09 02:47 AM
    Couple problems...The OP tried the OTA and couldn't do it that way due to some memory error, and, his PC is not like your PC, so that isn't an option, either.
    06-01-09 02:48 AM
    OP, let us know if you fixed the mem error...my refresh finger is getting tired :-P
    06-01-09 02:57 AM
    well i did a battery pull and it already started...I didn't back anything up because i can't install the DM on my computer...so is there any solutions to getting a DM on Ubuntu software? or is it possible to move my pictures to my SD card?
    06-01-09 03:01 AM
    did you take the pictures on the phone? or MMS them in? if you took them on the phone, you should have been prompted to save them in device mem or on your mem card. if you chose device mem, im unsure as to being able to move....ill look into that for you if there isnt another reply.

try the google sync on your phone i mentioned to save your contacts if your worried about it.
    06-01-09 03:07 AM
    ok, looks like there is no prompt, unless i missed it myself lol. but you can go to each picture, BB button, and go to copy. from there, copy to your memory card...
    06-01-09 03:15 AM
    any updates? everything done now?
    06-01-09 04:01 AM
    wouldn't Ubuntu's Wine program work for installing DM?
    06-01-09 07:05 AM
    well it already downloaded it, now it finally running the update, i hate to reboot the phone, battery pull and delete a few apps...i'l let ya know
    06-01-09 08:21 AM
    wouldn't Ubuntu's Wine program work for installing DM?

whats that?? i'm fairly new and unfamilar with Ubuntu, still trying to figure stuff out about it..
    06-01-09 08:22 AM
    There are several Windows software packages that the DM installs, ie .net framework, windows installer framework, etc. So it never fully installs. I use Ubuntu as well and have never been able to install either through WINE or any other emulator. I tried using Virtual Box, VMWare and another virtual machine software. None of the open source versions support USB devices in the way you need to connect your phone to your machine. Your best bet would be to purchase vmware or something. Virtualbox may have updated the USB thing but I havent checked in a while. Its worth looking into. Otherwise you can get a free Windows 7, at least until next march, and dual boot with that. Its what I do.

I kind of rambled, summation:
    1. Try virtualbox. They claim USB device support for virtual machines without having to install drivers on the host computer.
    2. Dual boot with Windows. Get your free copy of Windows 7 (expires in March '10.) You will need to do this in order to update using Win7. http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/wi...dinian-195757/
    3. Take it to Verizon and have them fix it so you can update OTA.
    Last edited by I am Matt Jones; 06-01-09 at 08:28 AM.
    06-01-09 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD