I quite regularly receive some pretty lenghty newsletters. These are truncated by the email-app. So I always tell it to "Get More" and "Get Images". For normal emails this usually is enough. For the newsletters however this is by far not even close to enough.

How can I work around that? A mobile email device with 8GB of memory shouldn't be concerned about the content nor length of a message I think. And since the BBs are so well known for their email capabilities I'm pretty sure that I am missing something... but what?
    01-25-09 05:12 PM
    if your using email from hotmail or yahoo or gmail, this is probably the cause!
    01-25-09 07:24 PM
    On the subject of Truncated Messages, just this morning I noticed that my Storm is not only truncating certain long messages (like my daily update from the NY Times) but I also received a message directed to a large group of receipients and saw that the "To" list had also been truncated. So, when I hit "reply all", the reply will not go to all the original receipients. I now realize this caused a problem for me last week. I only just figured it out.

Is there a way to correct this?
    01-26-09 02:16 PM
    if your using email from hotmail or yahoo or gmail, this is probably the cause!
    I have the same problem with the body of e-mail messages getting truncated. I have an Embarq email account (not Hotmail). There has to be a work around to this.

Any help?
    01-27-09 07:26 PM
    I spoke with RIM tech support and there is NOT a work around for this. BB made the decision to allow a maximum of 32 kB compressed data in a single email. If you exceed this amount, you are out of luck.

If you would like official confirmation, go to the BB site and search for KB13677.
    01-27-09 08:59 PM
    Here is the entire text of the KB13677:

When scrolling to the bottom of a newly received email message, the following is displayed:

Truncated <number of bytes received>

The BlackBerry smartphone can receive a maximum of 32 KB of compressed data in the message body. This is by design.
    01-27-09 09:01 PM
    This is very disappointing. I guess this applies to bis as well as bes email accounts? Even when using a blackberry email account?

How does this make any sense. Sorry for the rant but this is just nonsensical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:22 AM
    The problem is all the HTML formatting garbage people put into email messages. Otherwise 32K of text would be a couple hundred pages easy. Each character is one bit, there's 8 bits to a byte, 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, so do the math. Some of it will be taken up by headers naturally, but the fact is 32K is a huge amount of text if it's not squandered on pointless (and highly inefficient generated most of the time) HTML formatting.
    01-28-09 10:48 AM
    I quite regularly receive some pretty lenghty newsletters. These are truncated by the email-app. So I always tell it to "Get More" and "Get Images". For normal emails this usually is enough. For the newsletters however this is by far not even close to enough.

How can I work around that? A mobile email device with 8GB of memory shouldn't be concerned about the content nor length of a message I think. And since the BBs are so well known for their email capabilities I'm pretty sure that I am missing something... but what?
    They naturally do not allow automatic download of images for security purposes. Just like any popular email provider such as yahoo or hotmail requires you manually enable images for security reasons. Especially now that windows machines can be infected by code hidden in JPG's if you already have a few certain worms.
    01-28-09 10:55 AM
    AH!! Microsoft too has these bugs "by design" knowledge base articles on their website....

It just is a bug for us users. Not by design. It is a business phone and should be able to be used as such.

That decision was probably made about 7 years ago orso and is still being enforced for compatibility reasons.

Especially since attachments of 5 megabytes ARE allowed, I cannot think of any other reason this policy would be in place.

They are going to have to change that soon since more and more people are experiencing it AND are getting annoyed by it.

Annoyed by design while it isn't necessary.

I call that: by stubbornness. Not by design.

Stupidity rules with the storm... really.

What kind of business device cuts off the emails at 32kb?? BUT allows for 5mb attachments... hmhm... very logical indeed.

Mr. Sillyballs isn't using a Blackberry himself, I'm pretty sure of that.
    02-05-09 03:46 AM
    I'm boycotting sillyballs as per now!
    Last edited by TheMisses; 02-05-09 at 03:51 AM.
    02-05-09 03:47 AM
    Mr. Sillyballs isn't using a Blackberry himself, I'm pretty sure of that.
    Mr. Sillyballs? ...seriously?
    02-18-10 11:04 AM
    OH MAN!!!! A thread about truncated emails and JRCSCivic hasn't posted in it yet .... unbelieveable. Her ears must be burning ... lol

And I do not believe there is a work around for this issue.
    02-18-10 11:16 AM
    [QUOTE=And I do not believe there is a work around for this issue.[/QUOTE]

I would love to hear what it is!
    02-18-10 11:32 AM
    I read about a work around on here somewhere, but you'll have to search. I wouldn't recommend it however. You stand a better chance of bricking your phone than actually getting the workaround to work.

02-18-10 01:53 PM
    The problem is all the HTML formatting garbage people put into email messages. Otherwise 32K of text would be a couple hundred pages easy. Each character is one bit, there's 8 bits to a byte, 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, so do the math. Some of it will be taken up by headers naturally, but the fact is 32K is a huge amount of text if it's not squandered on pointless (and highly inefficient generated most of the time) HTML formatting.
    I know this thread is old, but I'd like to clarify that 1 character is 1 byte, not 1 bit. Everything else is correct, but it means your definition of large is divided by 8.

So instead of 256,000 characters (a lot), there's 32,000. Not that much.
    10-07-10 08:32 AM

Though not as pretty if you go to the BB menu and select "get pain text" you can get the whole email.

You can also swith back by selecting get HTML.

01-08-11 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD