im 16. i go to high school and im a junior. i got the storm the day it came out and love it. so yesterday in lunch at school, i couldnt see the clock so i pulled out my storm. pressed the screen to see what time it was when i got in trouble. they wanted me to give them my phone and i refused since i have a lot of personal stuff on this and contacts i dont want anyone going through. i just dont feel safe knowing its in someone elses hands and idk what they could be doing. as a result, i got out school suspension for three days. let me know what you think. PM or reply
    03-04-09 06:38 AM
    While I love the Storm ... I wouldn't risk my job (since I am 36) or my education over it.

But hey ... I understand the personal info thing ... just lock it with the password and you are set. Getting suspended over your BB seems a little silly to me.
    03-04-09 06:46 AM
    yeah i dont really mind much though. i mean three days out of school isnt bad to me. i just have a really long weekend. lol
    03-04-09 06:48 AM
    I have to agree. I wouldn't risk my education over phone...I doubt the teacher would even know how to do it...that's when you do a "battery pull" but keep the battery out
    03-04-09 06:50 AM
    lyoko lol last year when i had a different phone i did that and they told me they needed the phone as a whole. its just if they take it the school closes before my mom gets off work so then its big ordeal her picking it up. it really isnt risking my education either imo. the teachers told me that you cant have a phone on and not recieve calls because i tried telling them that i couldnt receive anything but my phone can still work. they said thats a lie as well. all things that just irritated me.
    03-04-09 06:55 AM
    Not being allowed to have a phone is school is a common rule.. The suspension seems a bit much, but on the other hand, we don't know how much mouthing off you did when they tried to take it from you. You could've just locked it or took the battery out like other people said. Knowing how I was in high school tho.. I probably would've just took the suspension because I didn't want someone else's filthy hands on my BB haha. It was pagers tho in my day haha..
    03-04-09 06:56 AM
    Not being allowed to have a phone is school is a common rule.. The suspension seems a bit much, but on the other hand, we don't know how much mouthing off you did when they tried to take it from you. You could've just locked it or took the battery out like other people said. Knowing how I was in high school tho.. I probably would've just took the suspension because I didn't want someone else's filthy hands on my BB haha. It was pagers tho in my day haha..
    yeah they say your not aloud to make calls or text. like knowing im sitting at home and a person could just be looking at my pictures, reading through my contacts. i just dont like it. 3 days out school suspension isnt bad. i wake up late and eat mcdonalds instead of listening to teachers lecture and take notes
    03-04-09 06:58 AM
    you did the right thing i would never give up my phone to any one that demands it, my little brothers school has the same policy and both me and my parents told him to never give up his phone to any one but the police
    03-04-09 07:09 AM
    yeah they say your not aloud to make calls or text. like knowing im sitting at home and a person could just be looking at my pictures, reading through my contacts. i just dont like it. 3 days out school suspension isnt bad. i wake up late and eat mcdonalds instead of listening to teachers lecture and take notes
    This mentality kills me. This is the reason that a lot of kids today aren't getting the education they should. They think this is an OK thing to stay home for 3 days, eat McD's and watch Judge Judy.

Well ... enjoy! I mean clearly you got the Storm because your parents bought it for you ... you obviously don't pay the bill ... and you still think it's OK to get suspended and spend 3 days on the couch.

I have 2 kids, and I would NEVER allow this. Just sayin' ......
    03-04-09 07:37 AM
    3 days for refusing to give a phone? Wow the rules have changed since I was there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 07:41 AM
    I do not think I would say that is true love. I, for one, would just look at my watch instead of my BB for the time. If I am not mistaken, phone usage of any sort in school is a big no no. That is the case here at any rate.
    03-04-09 07:49 AM
    Yea its against the rules and was when I was in high school too but if you have a crappy fone who cares if they take it but I'm with you I'd never habd over my bb idc if they suspended me I'm with u man its only high school. I would never jeopardize my job for it though but he's just in high school I would have done the same plus people aren't careful wit fones they confiscate

Plus the education in most high schools is a joke. 3 days won't make a difference in grades and its not like he was fighting. I think 3 days oss is a bit excessive my skool used to just call ur parents n my dad woulda laughed n been like why are you wasting my time over a cell phone. Wen I was in high school the techers would make u put it away and if u refused then it was taken if u refused u went to office n jus got a saturday detention. I have a feeling there was verbal exchange here to warrant the 3 day oss lol.

Last edited by ReaperZ1013; 03-04-09 at 08:00 AM.
    03-04-09 07:55 AM
    The fact is that the principal would go through the phone and then suspend the student for even more. This is becomming common practice anymore. Its not right but they get away with it. I would not have given up my phone either.

03-04-09 08:52 AM
    Yeah, well consider yourself lucky Jbrown22...we have a darling little girl in our alternative school who has been suspended for 30 days! She didn't even have a phone on her just a bluetooth headset. Serious lack of common sense here in this school system.
    03-04-09 08:59 AM
    Yea you can't trust people with the kinda info you keep on ur bb. Lot of high school in the area are putting up cell blockers that kill recption in skool so its pointless to use ur fone cuz u cnt get service. I think this is smart because it would actually keep kids from txting in class the threats dnt. And when u step out of the building by a few feet you can get service makes sense if you ask me.

03-04-09 09:00 AM
    I got 3 days suspension once for not giving up a CD player. Schools get a little out of hand with the No Tolerance BS. 'Course, I always thought the concept of confiscating someone else's property was a pretty arrogant and unacceptable thing to do, so I never let it happen. But that was a really crappy school, I didn't expect it to be like that elsewhere.

All the same, if you had to give it up, do as everyone else says: Lock it with a password, or pull the battery.

Or you could try turning off the cell radio and say you're just usingit for notes or whatever. I use it in college as my daily planner and sometimes type out notes on it, no teacher has ever given me static for that. Then again, it's college. Little bit more mature bunch there (Referring to the staff, of course. Many students seem to think it's still high school.)

All in all, enjoy your suspension. I enjoyed mine.
    03-04-09 09:04 AM
    I've done this. But I went to a public school and the teachers felt as though they were God. I'm not sayin you did the right thing but I would have done the same. Just make sure yu get what you missed those days and you will be fine.

03-04-09 09:09 AM
    Four things:
    1. We all had to do sh*t we didn't want to at school. You follow the rules or you get punished.
    2. You can't prove to anyone that you were only checking the time, he has a right as your teacher to confiscate your phone.
    3. If he was to look through your personal files and messages he could lose his job or be suspended himself - if you want to follow that route with your headmaster/school governers that's your choice. Only question is, is it worthwhile sabotaging somebody's career because they looked at your stuff.
    4. Don't use your phone at school if it's against the rules

Doesn't get much simpler than that.
    03-04-09 09:10 AM
    Next time, just lock your pone with a code, or take the battery out then give it to them. Don't get in trouble again over this!
    03-04-09 09:12 AM
    im 16. i go to high school and im a junior. i got the storm the day it came out and love it. so yesterday in lunch at school, i couldnt see the clock so i pulled out my storm. pressed the screen to see what time it was when i got in trouble. they wanted me to give them my phone and i refused since i have a lot of personal stuff on this and contacts i dont want anyone going through. i just dont feel safe knowing its in someone elses hands and idk what they could be doing. as a result, i got out school suspension for three days. let me know what you think. PM or reply
    Good for you. If you truly were not breaking the rules by using your phone other than to tell the time, I think what they're doing is total BS. I wouldn't have given it up either and (I know I'll probably hear some BS about this) figured out a way to make this a legal case. Although I don't think that refusing to give up your phone and there being consequences for it, or just HAVING a phone in school, is going to "ruin your education", I do believe you should be in school and not take the 3 days as an "extra long weekend". (Your grammar clearly shows you need to pay more attention in your English class ) Use the 3 days they gave you to figure out how to, civilly, raise h e l l. If you were my son, I'd have you on the phone with attorneys all day and researching online to find out if what they're doing is legal. I don't think it's morally right, either.

Cell phones are a part of today's culture, and you should not be forced to leave it behind anywhere or anytime, regardless of age. I DO believe there is a time and place to USE them, and those rules should be enforced and, if need be, punishments should be given out for not following the rules. Perfect example is Columbine. Always the "what ifs"...

Good luck, I hope you stick up for yourself and figure out a way to that suspension revoked. Education is a precious thing- don't take it for granted.
    03-04-09 09:17 AM
    Dude I would have been like hellz no you not getting my storm get your own!! I would have had to draw blood if they tryed to take mine!! I am not in school no more grad etc 2003 good thing to becuase if this was out I be on it all the time in school!
    03-04-09 09:20 AM
    Rules are rules and they are there for a reason. They were perfectly within their rights to confiscate the phone, although the suspention leads me to believe that there is a little more to this story than has been told.

There is a reason that schools have implimented bans on Cell Phones, and that is because it is a distraction to Other People. There are people in School who are there for its intended purpose, and that is to learn. For those who feel that they dont have to pay attention, etc. while in school then the school has every right to do what it deems necissary to ensure that there is a positive learning enviroment.

I agree that Cell Phones have become a part of our society, but they have their time and place.

I would never ever concider pulling my Storm out in the middle of a meeting to E-mail or txt, etc. The only time I would use my BB in a meeting was to add something to my calender or check for a conflict, and that is only because it would be expected at that point, and I would usually wait until after the meeting to do it.
    03-04-09 09:29 AM
    so many responses lol...well i just know a kid, not a friend, that had in a text something about meeting someone at a certain spot to exchange hands and he got in huge trouble. the principal said it popped up. he had to click it and open it. thanks to all the people that agree with me on that. i have all a's and b's and missing 3 days wont hurt my work at all. its funny though how other people in the school can be texting in front of the lady but she doesnt say anything.
    03-04-09 09:45 AM
    Rules are rules and they are there for a reason. They were perfectly within their rights to confiscate the phone, although the suspention leads me to believe that there is a little more to this story than has been told.

There is a reason that schools have implimented bans on Cell Phones, and that is because it is a distraction to Other People. There are people in School who are there for its intended purpose, and that is to learn. For those who feel that they dont have to pay attention, etc. while in school then the school has every right to do what it deems necissary to ensure that there is a positive learning enviroment.

I agree that Cell Phones have become a part of our society, but they have their time and place.

I would never ever concider pulling my Storm out in the middle of a meeting to E-mail or txt, etc. The only time I would use my BB in a meeting was to add something to my calender or check for a conflict, and that is only because it would be expected at that point, and I would usually wait until after the meeting to do it.

i dont agree with you. millons of kids text in every class, everyone knows it.
    03-04-09 09:48 AM
    Good for you. If you truly were not breaking the rules by using your phone other than to tell the time, I think what they're doing is total BS. I wouldn't have given it up either and (I know I'll probably hear some BS about this) figured out a way to make this a legal case. Although I don't think that refusing to give up your phone and there being consequences for it, or just HAVING a phone in school, is going to "ruin your education", I do believe you should be in school and not take the 3 days as an "extra long weekend". (Your grammar clearly shows you need to pay more attention in your English class ) Use the 3 days they gave you to figure out how to, civilly, raise h e l l. If you were my son, I'd have you on the phone with attorneys all day and researching online to find out if what they're doing is legal. I don't think it's morally right, either.

Cell phones are a part of today's culture, and you should not be forced to leave it behind anywhere or anytime, regardless of age. I DO believe there is a time and place to USE them, and those rules should be enforced and, if need be, punishments should be given out for not following the rules. Perfect example is Columbine. Always the "what ifs"...

Good luck, I hope you stick up for yourself and figure out a way to that suspension revoked. Education is a precious thing- don't take it for granted.

haha its funny though you said about english because i have an A actually in the class. Its dumb. She saw me check it quick and stuff. I dont really mind the break though.
    03-04-09 09:51 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD