Im wanting to switch to the Storm, anyone switched from the Palm OS devices?
    Your opinions please!!!!!

Im used to a laggy device that needs resets (Palm).
    12-30-08 03:35 PM
    The latest BB OS is much nicer than Palm's OS I have a Treo 680 that I still use to run my old Palm games and software I've purchased over the many years of being with Palm.
    12-30-08 03:41 PM
    I switched from a Treo 750W (Windows Mobile). Definitely takes some getting-used-to and I don't think I'll ever be able to type as fast or as accurately. But the Storm has so much more to offer. If all you want out of your handheld is email, maybe a Storm's not for you. The few inconveniences are more than offset by the enjoyment I'm getting out of the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 03:47 PM
    I switched from a Treo 750W (Windows Mobile). Definitely takes some getting-used-to and I don't think I'll ever be able to type as fast or as accurately. But the Storm has so much more to offer. If all you want out of your handheld is email, maybe a Storm's not for you. The few inconveniences are more than offset by the enjoyment I'm getting out of the Storm.

Im definately a heavy user.
    ROM mods and all.

Also, it will not be used on Verizons network. Im going to use it on my local carrier.
    12-30-08 03:50 PM
    The latest BB OS is much nicer than Palm's OS I have a Treo 680 that I still use to run my old Palm games and software I've purchased over the many years of being with Palm.
    In the text messaging or "chat" in the Treo you have the history for each contact. Does the Storm have this or something similar?
    Also is the OS more laggy than the Palm OS?
    12-30-08 04:07 PM
    You can hover your finger on the name of a contact in your SMS mail and it will give you a history of all texts with that contact. I can't compare with the Palm OS or even the Windows Mobile I had because I think the OS differences are overshadowed by the hardware differences. Just take your time on this site to learn all you can about the Storm's features and how to use them and that will shorten the learning curve.

12-30-08 04:19 PM
    Went to Storm from treo 700p. Love the storm but miss some of the software I was using on the Treo. I hope the app store due next year measures up to others. Still use my Treo for some of my inventory tasks.
    12-30-08 04:32 PM
    You can hover your finger on the name of a contact in your SMS mail and it will give you a history of all texts with that contact. I can't compare with the Palm OS or even the Windows Mobile I had because I think the OS differences are overshadowed by the hardware differences. Just take your time on this site to learn all you can about the Storm's features and how to use them and that will shorten the learning curve.

Im listening to the Crackberry.com podcast review right now.

Im amazed at the iPhone, if I thought I had a even minor chance of getting a CDMA radio soldered in a iPhone Id be working on it.
    But I need a CDMA unit to work where I live.
    12-30-08 04:37 PM
    Went to Storm from treo 700p. Love the storm but miss some of the software I was using on the Treo. I hope the app store due next year measures up to others. Still use my Treo for some of my inventory tasks.
    Another of my major concerns.
    Ive hundreds of apps on my Treo.

BTW Ive had 2 Treo 650s, two 700P and on a 755P now.
    12-30-08 04:39 PM
    I'm a 700p convert as well. The text conversations do log in the same style, with the ability to modify the number of past messages to keep in your history. The device does not crash or require regular reboots (at least mine doesn't) like my Treo eventually did. The only thing, aside from lack of keyboard, that caused me migration trouble was Handmark Mobile DB. I'm a consultant and I keep hundreds of user/network/computer info in there and I could not successfully export-import the data into a BB application. I wound up purchasing Ascendo Data Vault - fantastic, btw - and manually entering the info. Not ideal, but I blame Handmark, not my device/platform.

After a week, I had adjusted. After a month, my typing is on point and I rarely put the device down. Hope it helps.
    12-30-08 04:46 PM
    Left the Treo 755p for a Storm, definite learning curve, but I Love it. like it was said earlier, hope the app store makes up for the lack of programs. Biggest difference so far for me is the basic core functionalityof e-mail. Regardless I can't see myself ever going back to a non touch-screen phone.
    12-30-08 04:51 PM
    I switch from a Treo. I had four different ones. The Palm apps do not move over but the phone is more stable (even with its faults) than the Treos I had over the past 2-3 years. The Storm is a better business phone with many other handy tools. You will get familiar with it in no time. Remember how it was when you got your first Treo?
    Yep, it crashed every hour on the hour. Hacked from top to bottom.
    12-30-08 04:58 PM
    755p to the storm...there are a few apps i miss. but none of them were deal breakers.

over time i am confident we will see them pop up on the storm.
    12-30-08 05:02 PM
    switched from Treo 650p to Storm.
    other than getting my contacts over to the BB i have been very happy with the Storm.

i was using the Palm desktop software which does not port to the BlackBerry. So i spent a few hours getting my Treo to sync with Outlook, then sync Outlook to the Storm. actually that process was very smooth. even transferred my pictures, birthdates, and reminders. wish i could find a good texas holdem game for the Storm though. Hold'em High for Palm was great!
    12-30-08 05:06 PM
    Switched from Treo 700p and I love it. I read on here that once you go Blackberry you never go back. I think they were right. I got mines on launch day and I haven't had any problems no resets or anything.
    12-30-08 05:52 PM
    I too was a 750p user...a very frustrated one. The storm is head and shoulders above the palm in my opinion. Not perfect but sooooooo much better (i.e; crashes, freezes etc are mainly a thing of the past). I too look foward to seeing more apps, esp medical ones but they will come rolling in with time. Regardless of the model I dont see myself being without a blackberry as long as they keep makin em.
    12-30-08 06:00 PM
    Ditto to everything serenityseeker mentioned. I came from a 700p
    and transferring all my contacts, appt via outlook was flawless. Just
    waiting on Epocrates to come out and a couple games and i'll be all
    set.

12-30-08 06:35 PM
    In the days of the Treo 650s being locked to Sprint, and hacked to work on Verizon, there were premier hackers, Shadowmite and Mines, whos at the top of their game in regards to Blackberry?
    Last edited by vjdup; 12-31-08 at 12:58 PM.
    12-31-08 12:48 PM
    wish i could find a good texas holdem game for the Storm though. Hold'em High for Palm was great!
    iGanja,

Check out Texas Hold 'Em with Phil Hellmuth from the Crackberry store...it's pretty good (free demo to try it also).
    12-31-08 01:12 PM
    Ok, I bought one off Ebay.

Should be here by mid week.

But if I dont like it, its all your fault.
    01-03-09 02:10 PM
    Do it! Do it!
    01-03-09 06:45 PM
    Do it! Do it!
    01-03-09 06:55 PM
    I still have my last phone (a 700P) in a drawer where all our company phones get retired to. I pulled it out a couple of days ago and it looked like a 10 year old phone compared to the Storm...lol

The Storm is light years ahead
    01-03-09 06:55 PM
    I used to have a 755p treo palm and i just switch to storm and it is great i mean you can plays movies is lighter is great and also have a lot more things that treo didnt have,
    01-03-09 06:59 PM
    You made the right choice. I came from a 700p and it took all of 2 days to have every little nook and cranny figured out. I will not go back. I am BB forever.
    01-03-09 07:01 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD