I'm going to Switzerland and Italy shortly and I called Verizon to find out what I needed to do. The person I spoke with was very "iffy" and I'm not confident what they were telling me is correct.

Can somebody please confirm - this is what I was told:

1) They could update my SIM card remotely and I would retain my phone number.
    2) People in the US would have to dial 011-<countryCode>-<my phone #> to get me in Europe. This doesn't make sense to me - is it correct?
    3) They indicated I could get the "value plan" for $4.99 a month which would bring down my per-minute cost from $1.29 to $0.99.
    4) I would have unlimited data, but texting would cost ($0.50 out/$.05 in)

Appreciate any help - I'd like to go over there knowing I can still get my calls!

thanks,
    bert
    04-22-10 01:13 PM
    Sounds correct to me. Used this before when I travelled to Bahrain through Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Works well!

Here's their link to Switzerland.

Calling From Switzerland
    04-22-10 02:35 PM
    Sounds correct to me. Used this before when I travelled to Bahrain through Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Works well!

Here's their link to Switzerland.

Calling From Switzerland
    Thanks!
    So what happens when somebody dials my number without a country code - does it just go to voice mail?

bert
    04-22-10 03:17 PM
    If someone dials your U.S. phone number from the U.S., they only need to use your area code (i.e. no country code). You will still be charged the $.99 a minute however, but the call will be local for them. Likewise if someone within Europe wants to call your cell, they will need to prefix the +01 then area code, to your number.

EDIT: when I was living over there I had ATT but I can't see how verizon would be any different. But I'm 100% positive my friends in teh U.S. could just call my regular U.S. number while I was in europe without country code (ended up getting to expensive for me so I unlocked my phone and bought a new SIM since I was living there for 7+ months).
    Last edited by zosojr; 04-22-10 at 03:29 PM.
    04-22-10 03:21 PM
    If someone dials your U.S. phone number from the U.S., they only need to use your area code (i.e. no country code). You will still be charged the $.99 a minute however, but the call will be local for them. Likewise if someone within Europe wants to call your cell, they will need to prefix the +01 then area code, to your number.
    Thanks for the first-hand info - it's not the kind of thing you can test before you go!

bert
    04-22-10 04:19 PM
    Just make sure they update your plan and you do a *228, option 1 BEFORE you leave the US. I've heard of problems with reactivation if you're outside their US network.
    04-22-10 04:23 PM
    I'm going to Switzerland and Italy shortly and I called Verizon to find out what I needed to do. The person I spoke with was very "iffy" and I'm not confident what they were telling me is correct.

2) People in the US would have to dial 011-<countryCode>-<my phone #> to get me in Europe. This doesn't make sense to me - is it correct?
    3) They indicated I could get the "value plan" for $4.99 a month which would bring down my per-minute cost from $1.29 to $0.99.

Appreciate any help - I'd like to go over there knowing I can still get my calls!

thanks,
    bert
    Item (2) is confusing. The country code for your phone is always "1" - not the code for the country you are visiting.

US callers should continue to dial your number as a domestic number, OR could dial the full international format - but they can do that anyway so nothing changes.

Callers outside US should dial you exactly as if you were still in USA. IOW, from most places in the world I would dial +1<area><number>, or 00 1<area><number>. Even within Switzerland or Italy they still dial you as if you are in USA, even if you are in the next room.
    04-22-10 04:50 PM
    Item (2) is confusing. The country code for your phone is always "1" - not the code for the country you are visiting.

US callers should continue to dial your number as a domestic number, OR could dial the full international format - but they can do that anyway so nothing changes.
    That makes a lot more sense. I didn't understand why they said US callers would have to include the country code of where I was.

thanks,
    bert
    04-22-10 08:56 PM

thanks,
    bert
    I'm heading to Amsterdam in a week and had the same questions. Verizon told me the same information. I have a Tour and was wondering if anybody knows if I'll need a voltage converter to charge my phone oversees or if I'll just need an adapter. Would hooking up an adapter to an outlet running on 240 volts mess up my phone?
    04-23-10 09:07 PM
    I'm heading to Amsterdam in a week and had the same questions. Verizon told me the same information. I have a Tour and was wondering if anybody knows if I'll need a voltage converter to charge my phone oversees or if I'll just need an adapter. Would hooking up an adapter to an outlet running on 240 volts mess up my phone?
    You need an international charger. They are made to take a range of voltages and convert them to the output the BB needs. They also have interchangeable tips to match the sockets around the world. For Amsterdam, you need the C or F style prongs, 2 round prongs

Mains power around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a cheap one on Amazon, or they are available at Radio Shack, Target, etc from aftermarket makers. Make sure you get MICRO-USB for the Tour.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry International Travel Charger (Black): Cell Phones & Service
    04-23-10 09:28 PM
    Thanks for the info...much appreciated.
    04-23-10 09:38 PM
    All the times I've gone to Europe (Italy, France, England), I've never had any kind of...voltage converter. I had to get a plug converter (interchangeable tip for the wall socket), but the charger itself takes input voltage from 100-240v...most places in Europe are 220v. I never had a problem.
    04-24-10 12:20 AM
    All the times I've gone to Europe (Italy, France, England), I've never had any kind of...voltage converter. I had to get a plug converter (interchangeable tip for the wall socket), but the charger itself takes input voltage from 100-240v...most places in Europe are 220v. I never had a problem.
    Yup, never had to do that either. Only change my plug and plugged it in and it worked.

And yes, it is unlimited data, I used about a gig when I was in Germany for two weeks since I have nothing buy my phone on me and laptop but no internet on laptop unless I was paying 10 euros/day for it.

I just sent emails to everyone instead of text and BBM to everyone who had BB at that time. Before you go, call VZW global and try to get it unlocked. So that when you want to make a call, just switch the SIM card and use another SIM card to call out. .99/minute is too much. I bought a SIM car for like $45USD or something like that and it equaled out to like .30/minute or something low like that. I can't remember the exact price. Then once you are done with the call, just switch the SIM card again.

But yes you will need the international play for 5.99/month but it will be pro rated. I think I payed like 4 bucks for it. Good to have though.
    04-24-10 12:27 AM

thanks,
    bert
    Are you doing a study abroad program by any chance? I ask because I am and those 2 countries are exactly where I'm going
    04-24-10 02:55 PM
    I am heading out on Monday and talked to the Global support folks at verizon. I have to get the International Data Plan for email, web surfing. I think it's $64 (additional $35 on top of your US Data plan).

When I got my storm 2 it had all the plug adapters in the box, just swap the US one for one of the other three depending what type of power socket it is. No need to worry about voltage.

US callers just dial the regular number, however if you switch out your Sim Card (not sure you can do this with the storm) and get a local Sim card, and most likely a different number, then US callers would have to dial 011 + country code + number.

I have a goggle voice number and will forward (*71+number) my cell to it if I don't want to answer the call and let it go to Goggle voice mail . GV will then send me a transcript and if I want to listen to the VM you do so over the data plan not voice plan.

Make sure you have the International data plan or you will be charged $0.02 per Kb. I did the math on my last months data usage and it would have cost me $3,672.00 in data costs.

Have a safe trip
    04-24-10 04:17 PM
    It is actually the frequency and voltage differences that can be damaging for electronics, but all modern phones, laptops, etc come with chargers able to change the voltage and to the 50Hz in Europe versus 60Hz in the USA.

With my 8830, at times in Europe I had to manually switch to GSM. I have never had to do that with my Storm2, but I thought I would mention it. Additionally, if you have switched your network technology to 1XEV to save battery life in the USA, then you need to switch it to global before you leave.

As someone else posted, ensure you do a *228 after VZW adds international to your phone. Good luck!
    04-24-10 04:24 PM
    I guess the same applies to youmail since its a data app. But youmail is cool cause I can direct my voicemail for certain people listing my local SIM card #, and for others I can let it be a generic VM. I can also just call back and accept the roaming rates when I decide its an important VM.
    04-24-10 04:33 PM
    I'm in Europe now and YES make sure you *228 before you leave the US..I did not do it and I spent about an hour on the phone with global support and 10 battery pulls later we got it to work.
    I was very excited about Skype on my Storm2 when I left for my trip just to find out you can not use it outside the US on VZW..
    Also not sure if you need it or not but I do recommend VZ Nav Global...It worked great over here..Again just make sure you DL it before you leave the US.
    Data is not as good or quick here for me (Barcelona) . In some areas I will have full bars of 3G coverage and can not send emails, facebook or go on the web.
    One more tip VZW gave me was to put a "+" in front of the number when calling back to the US..Not sure what this does, but I have had no troubles calling back home.
    Goodluck on your travels

One more quick tip...anything with a rechargeable battery does not need a power converter, just a plug converter(you can grab them at Radio shack or best buy for under $10) Look on the powerpack it should say 110-240.
    If you plan on bringing a hair dryer, curling iron, elec. razor you WILL need a power converter, if not you will blow it up.
    Last edited by seans1973; 04-24-10 at 05:07 PM.
    04-24-10 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD