Hello...

Some of you may remember me from a few weeks ago... I was inquiring about the Storm 2 (upgrading from my Curve)... Well last night, I did it... I am not sporting the Storm 2...

I love the phone so far, but I need a little assistance... I killed my battery by 5:00 (and I was even at work)... I'm assuming it's because it still has the new toy feeling and I can't stop touching it... What are some tips for conversing battery life with the Storm 2 (I've already changed the network to EV1X and the screen brightness is set to 10)...

What are some awesome apps for the Storm 2? I'm currently using the same apps I had on my Curve (Poynt, Where, Foursquare, Amazon, BB Twitter app and Facebook)... I've installed Weatherbug, but I'm wondering if that has to do with my battery draining...

Any help is greatly appreciated and it's good to finally join the party!!

Thanks!!
    04-16-10 06:41 PM
    It might be an O/S problem. I believe .607 is on the s2's being issued and a lot of ppl are reporting major battery drainage on that O/S.

Or it may just be the "new toy" experience as you said. Either way, try to take your charger to work with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 07:16 PM
    Just got my Storm2 this past Monday! Upgraded from a Curve 8330 too. It's been five days and I'm still geeking out, ha.

You should check out the Sticky: Tips & Tricks post - I found it helpful. Hope you do too!
    04-16-10 07:26 PM
    It might be an O/S problem. I believe .607 is on the s2's being issued and a lot of ppl are reporting major battery drainage on that O/S.

Or it may just be the "new toy" experience as you said. Either way, try to take your charger to work with you.

I just assumed that the device in store wouldn't be .607 and I was wrong... Maybe I'll find a downgrade and go to whatever the last version was for the time being... I need my phone to last as long as possible...

Curve014: I love the Storm 2... It's refreshing to me... I love the updated OS and all the new features... In my book, it's definitely a win!
    04-16-10 07:29 PM
    Just got my Storm2 this past Monday! Upgraded from a Curve 8330 too. It's been five days and I'm still geeking out, ha.

You should check out the Sticky: Tips & Tricks post - I found it helpful. Hope you do too!

Are you liking the storm2 better than the curve so far?? How is the typing on the storm2 vs. curve?
    04-16-10 07:33 PM
    Are you liking the storm2 better than the curve so far?? How is the typing on the storm2 vs. curve?
    Let me start off by saying I LOVED my Curve. That thing was amazing. That being said, I really, really like the Storm 2. I think part of the reason is because I understand the Blackberry OS already. I haven't had a problem adjusting to SurePress, it works like a charm. I am in 7th Heaven!

PS - Does anyone know the OS before 607? My iMac is saying 320 and that seems like a big jump... Or if there is a better leaked OS that I can load on that doesn't drain the battery... I will need a little help with the Mac installation though (I've only used a leaked OS with a PC)...
    Last edited by BlackberryBookWorm; 04-16-10 at 07:57 PM.
    04-16-10 07:38 PM
    @BerryBlack15 - My Curve 8330 is still my first love, haha. It's the best phone I've ever had. It treated me very well. I will probably still use it from time to time as back up. Nevertheless, I am loving the Storm2 right now. It's hard to compare the two because the hardware is completely different. I thought not having a physical keyboard might be a tough transition, but I was proven wrong. SurePress is so easy to use and feels amazing. The colors and screen are blinding beautiful, especially coming from the Curve! All in all, I love my Curve and I am growing to love the Storm2.

@BlackberryBookWorm - Yes, Verizon's official OS before .607 is .320. I believe there's a .517, but I don't think it's Verizon's. I am using .320 because I haven't found any issues with it. I've read .607 is faster, etc., but still buggy...
    04-16-10 08:03 PM
    Wipe the device and load the 517 (search threads for process). The 607 release stinks.

Use device switch wizard to back up what you have (alx and cods) before you wipe and reload, search for that too. Then you can make sure you recover everything.
    04-16-10 08:09 PM
    [QUOTE=curve014;4999403]@BerryBlack15 - My Curve 8330 is still my first love, haha. It's the best phone I've ever had. It treated me very well. I will probably still use it from time to time as back up. Nevertheless, I am loving the Storm2 right now. It's hard to compare the two because the hardware is completely different. I thought not having a physical keyboard might be a tough transition, but I was proven wrong. SurePress is so easy to use and feels amazing. The colors and screen are blinding beautiful, especially coming from the Curve! All in all, I love my Curve and I am growing to love the Storm2.

QUOTE]

Yeah I hear that alot from people who had curves...and it being their first love. I wonder what it is about the curve.
    04-16-10 08:33 PM
    Im still pretty new to the storm2...but from what ive read on here 320 sucks. I have 607 and the only problem ive had with it are a couple bugs with Opera Mini.

Ive never had 517 but from what I gather the consensus is that it is the best OS.
    04-16-10 08:35 PM
    I've had my S2 since November (trading in my S1 for the 2). Up until last week, the most recent official OS from VZW was .320. I have to say, for the most part, it worked just FINE on my phone. I had no problems with the exception of the sticking key problem, but my guess is, with your new device, you got one of the improved hardware versions (made after Feb. 22, 2010, I think). I had mine replaced with the upgraded one and, with .320 installed, it worked like a dream. No complaints at all.

Now, .607 is a whole 'nother story. If your new phone has that installed, that MAY explain some of the battery life issues, though there is still debate on it. Personally, I'm on the fence. I "think" it may have shortened it, and I've been monitoring it closely. Just when I think I've reached a conclusion, something changes and I'm back on the fence again. I certainly am not experiencing the 5 hour +/- issue, that's insane, but it's possible that I may have about a 10% - 15% reduction, the jury is still out.

If you want to install something else, .517 seems to be the favored OS at the moment. .607, aside from battery life, has numerous complaints about bluetooth volume (I'm in that camp, bluetooth volume is terrible), Google Maps (4.0.1) not working fully (true for me as well); BBM Keyboard issues (mine is working) and a few other things. It certainly is not an OS to hang your hat on and I personally believe that VZW rushed it out to overcome the large number of returns they were experiencing with the sticking keys (it appears that there was both the hardware fix, which they were doing with the returns or, the updated OS's made the fix. In your case, as well as mine, we have both.

EDIT: Keep in mind that all batteries have a "break in period" and need a little conditioning. Discharging and recharging a couple of times accomplishes that. Also, turn off your WiFi if you're not using it. BlueTooth On is fine, as is GPS Location On. Set your phone to 1XEV (rather than Global) too, that has some impact.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-16-10 at 08:58 PM.
    04-16-10 08:55 PM
    I upgraded to 607 and my battery life got much better...in fact my BB runs so much better than it did on 320. I only ever run official OS's...so I don't tinker with every leak tha t comes along. I had no problems with 320 and was Leary of going to 607, but man am I glad I did. The sceen is so much nicer on all accounts...no sticky keys and everything just seems smoother and faster. I would never go back to the old OS.

04-16-10 09:46 PM
    I've had my S2 since November (trading in my S1 for the 2). Up until last week, the most recent official OS from VZW was .320. I have to say, for the most part, it worked just FINE on my phone. I had no problems with the exception of the sticking key problem, but my guess is, with your new device, you got one of the improved hardware versions (made after Feb. 22, 2010, I think). I had mine replaced with the upgraded one and, with .320 installed, it worked like a dream. No complaints at all.

Now, .607 is a whole 'nother story. If your new phone has that installed, that MAY explain some of the battery life issues, though there is still debate on it. Personally, I'm on the fence. I "think" it may have shortened it, and I've been monitoring it closely. Just when I think I've reached a conclusion, something changes and I'm back on the fence again. I certainly am not experiencing the 5 hour +/- issue, that's insane, but it's possible that I may have about a 10% - 15% reduction, the jury is still out.

If you want to install something else, .517 seems to be the favored OS at the moment. .607, aside from battery life, has numerous complaints about bluetooth volume (I'm in that camp, bluetooth volume is terrible), Google Maps (4.0.1) not working fully (true for me as well); BBM Keyboard issues (mine is working) and a few other things. It certainly is not an OS to hang your hat on and I personally believe that VZW rushed it out to overcome the large number of returns they were experiencing with the sticking keys (it appears that there was both the hardware fix, which they were doing with the returns or, the updated OS's made the fix. In your case, as well as mine, we have both.

EDIT: Keep in mind that all batteries have a "break in period" and need a little conditioning. Discharging and recharging a couple of times accomplishes that. Also, turn off your WiFi if you're not using it. BlueTooth On is fine, as is GPS Location On. Set your phone to 1XEV (rather than Global) too, that has some impact.
    Thanks for the tips buddy... I just uninstalled WeatherBug and Twitter for Blackberry (I am pretty sure both of them were pushing for data too much and that was what lead to my battery drain)...

I charged the Storm while I ate dinner and it didn't have a full charge when I was done eating... I have played with it NONSTOP since then and it's only at 60% now. I'm pretty sure it was the apps I had installed.
    04-16-10 09:47 PM
    Turn down your back light, it does not need to be at 100%, some people have them as low as 10%, but I have mine set at 40%, Options, Screen/Keyboard. That helps much. Also make sure you exit out of programs when you are done with them, that is press the BB (menu) key, and select exit, or close, DON'T just press the red end key that just task switches you out of the app and leaves it running and eating battery. Also apps that use the radios eat battery, like Viigo, Weather apps, RSS readers, etc, the more they check the internet the more they eat battery keep this in mind.

Bottom line it's a large, touch screen, and it's a smart phone, battery life will NEVER be all that good. If you get a full day be happy. Make sure to charge it nightly. Get spare USB cords, keep one in the laptop bag, one at work, one at home, etc.
    04-16-10 10:43 PM
    Make sure you have GPS turned off when you're not using it.
    GPS is a battery killer on any phone. I think it's on by default on new phones.
    04-17-10 02:08 AM
    Actually, there is no need to turn it off. GPS begins draining the battery when a particular app you're running, is calling for it. If you're not running those apps in the background, simply having the GPS turned on and some occasional tapping in to it, there will be very little battery drain. It's just one of those things that people tend to think "Something running? Turn it off" I have run both with and without GPS on and there was no appreciable difference that I could see. So, I never turn mine off and it's not an issue (unlike .607 potentially being an issue). If you're going to use Google Maps (again, assuming that .607 moves on or Google comes up with a fix) you don't want to have to go through the extra step of turning GPS on. I know, Quick Launch will do it, but it's still an extra couple of clicks.

Make sure you have GPS turned off when you're not using it.
    GPS is a battery killer on any phone. I think it's on by default on new phones.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-17-10 at 03:14 AM.
    04-17-10 03:07 AM
    Turn down your back light, it does not need to be at 100%, some people have them as low as 10%, but I have mine set at 40%, Options, Screen/Keyboard. That helps much. Also make sure you exit out of programs when you are done with them, that is press the BB (menu) key, and select exit, or close, DON'T just press the red end key that just task switches you out of the app and leaves it running and eating battery. Also apps that use the radios eat battery, like Viigo, Weather apps, RSS readers, etc, the more they check the internet the more they eat battery keep this in mind.

Bottom line it's a large, touch screen, and it's a smart phone, battery life will NEVER be all that good. If you get a full day be happy. Make sure to charge it nightly. Get spare USB cords, keep one in the laptop bag, one at work, one at home, etc.
    +1
    I followed this advice when I first got my device and it has helped the battery issue tremendously. I am not having the battery drain issue on the .607 like others...i want to go as far as saying that it seem to have helped a little??? But there ARE issues with Google Map4 and Quickpull so DON'T upgrade to Google Maps 4.

Must have Appz: Quick Launch, Pattern Lock, Berry Weather, Opera Mini
    04-17-10 09:09 AM
    Also, always make sure you reset the device after removing any software. That's really the only time I had huge battery drain issues when I bypassed the reboot.

04-17-10 09:42 AM
    When you leave your fortress of solitude, make sure [press and hold BB button] that any unused navigation apps are not active, such as BB Maps, VZN Navigator, Garmin, BlackStar, and Google Maps. Only evoke them when you need them. Doctor Neutron
    04-17-10 11:41 AM
    I'd like to say thank you to everyone who posted... I've had my phone on since 9:45 (and have played with it pretty much all dat) and it's only at 65% now... I am going to a fundraiser tonight, so I'm giving it a quick charge now because it will probably be getting a workout...

Any more app recommendations? Right now I currently have installed:
    Poynt, Where, Social Scope Lite, Facebook, Song ID, My Verizon, Quick Tips, Urban Spoon, Where, Amazon.com, Open Table, Movies, Pandora, ScoreMobile and I purchased Road Mania (God is that game addictive!)...

Any other suggestions are welcome... I'd like to maximize my Blackberry to the fullest of it's potential... Thanks!
    04-17-10 05:34 PM
    Set your phone to 1XEV (rather than Global) too, that has some impact.
    I'm quoting this one for emphasis, since it was a little easy to miss. Like EnergyPlus said, be sure your phone is not constantly scanning for a GSM network it will probably never find by disabling Global capabilities.
    04-17-10 05:53 PM
    Other apps, "essential" ones for me, are QuickLaunch first. I must say that I resisted buying this app for a year and a half or so and never understood why people were so enthralled by it. I mean, really, a "shortcut app" ??? C'mon! Well, finally, I was convinced to buy it and I shake my head for being so dumb all that time. I love it. My personal preference is for a "clean home page." I don't want my home screen to look like an iPhone, filled with clutter. I want to see the wallpaper I so carefully selected and/or created and yet, I want quick access to whatever app I'm looking for.

So, my Theme that I purchased is AppleBerry Dark with Stacks 2.0 AB is the cleanest, neatest, most reliable, non-battery/memory draining theme I've seen yet (and I've tried a lot of them). In it's basic form, it provides me with five icons across the bottom (four of which are user definable). The fifth is a folder icon and that's the stack. Touch (no need to click, just touch) and up pops five MORE user definable icons which can take you to where you want to go. So, across the bottom, one of the icons is Quick Launch and between that and the five in the stack and the 3 others, I'm wherever I want to be with minimal clutter. Finally, there is one more dock, in the upper left, that's a dedicated slot for a weather app. VERY clean overall. The only thing I changed was the wallpaper, to snap things up a bit. Purchasing AppleBerry from the app store gives you access to 7 or 8 versions of this theme (Today, hidden Today, AppleBerry Glass, AppleBerry Dark, etc.) so you can install whatever floats your boat.

If you're in to addictive games, I'm sort of addicted to (ironic to use that phrase for this), Druglord Wars 2. The new version was just released and I love it! Both the AppleBerry Theme and Drug Lord Wars 2 and heck, especially Quick Launch are the top sellers in the App store, check 'em out!
    04-17-10 06:23 PM
    Other apps, "essential" ones for me, are QuickLaunch first. I must say that I resisted buying this app for a year and a half or so and never understood why people were so enthralled by it. I mean, really, a "shortcut app" ??? C'mon! Well, finally, I was convinced to buy it and I shake my head for being so dumb all that time. I love it. My personal preference is for a "clean home page." I don't want my home screen to look like an iPhone, filled with clutter. I want to see the wallpaper I so carefully selected and/or created and yet, I want quick access to whatever app I'm looking for.
    Haha. I totally agree with you on that one. Everything was on one page for me on the app menu, so I didn't get QuickLaunch for the longest time. I don't like clutter and like to keep things simple. Heck, I'm not even using a background at the moment (all black). BerryWeather home screen is enough "eye candy" for me. Of course, I don't expect you to agree with me on that one.

Anyways, to get things back on topic, if you are concerned about tracking battery usage, I recommend MeterBerry by Giant Cashew Software to help you track not only your battery drainage per hour, but also your memory (to make sure all these new apps you install are behaving themselves and not leaking memory).
    04-17-10 07:16 PM
    No matter what, sometimes you need a boost. My son got me an Encore Music Power by PowerLine. Charges on AC. Uses your USB cable to power your S1 or S2. Works great ! Doctor Neutron
    04-17-10 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD