I got up at 5am this morning to camp out and get a Storm...but it was 10 degrees outside and I knew that just getting the phone setup at the store would make me late to work so I skipped it. Around 10am I called all the stores in the area (I live in Madison, WI and there are 3). They all put me on the callback list so ideally I would get a call when more came in. However when I called the stores again around noon, one had gotten some in but only had 2 left and I knew I wouldn't make it in time.

Around 2pm I got a call from a different store saying they had just gotten 5 and were waiting 10 minutes before putting them in inventory to give those (it was just me and 1 other person) who were on the list a head start to come to the store. I rushed over and I got one! I was there within 10 minutes and 10 minutes after I got there all 5 were sold! It also happened to a brand new store, it opened today and they were so friendly. I've had some issues with VZW recently and considered switching and getting an iPhone but I'm glad I didn't. I'm still with americas most reliable wireless network and so far I LOVE the storm. I'm still getting used to the typing but overall the phone is a huge improvement over my previous phone, the 8830.

I'm so glad I didn't bother standing in line in the cold this morning!
    11-21-08 07:59 PM
    Well congratulations on snagging a new Storm. I'm glad it worked out for ya!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:02 PM
    You call that lucky, I got the last one in my Store! they only got 15 and i literally beat the guy behind me to line by like 3 seconds haha.
    11-21-08 08:04 PM
    That rocks thanks for sharing that story!!!!
    11-21-08 08:07 PM
    cjro9 - where're you from? I happened to be a 16th person in my line and they also stopped at 15. Talk about my bad luck. Maybe we were at the same store.
    11-21-08 08:18 PM
    well i feel i was pretty darn lucky myself. i went to my local verizon store at around 5PM est and wanted to play around with it a bit just to see how i liked the virtual keyboard and all that. then i decided i was going to go through with it.

the sales rep told me they were out so they would have to order one for me. i was ok with that. so we are going through that whole process and i notice another customer who just got one, but they werent packaged the same as those who had preorderd...so i mention something and my rep talks to his boss and comes back with on in hand. someone cancelled their order and i was now able to get one! granted i had to wait for the email to get activated but from having to wait a week or two to getting one right there i was pretty pumped.
    11-21-08 08:36 PM
    I guess I'm lucky too! I had planned to get to the store around 6:30 am, but I overslept and it was snowing like crazy in North Carolina of all places! I got there around 8:10 a.m and was the 6th person in line (they didn't open the doors until 9). The rumor was there were only 9 in the store and since people were having trouble with the touchscreen computers to login at the store (can we say future Storm haters...I mean really...if you can't figure out that touchscreen computer you think you can figure out the Storm)but anyway, I was the 4th person to get a Storm and was out of the store by 9:25.

Got to work, did the device switch from my 8830 and was good to go. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it today, and did get frustrated a few times (don't think I'll be able to text and drive anymore!), but after playing with it for a while tonight, I'm starting to figure it out.

I truely belive that this will be a love or hate thing with no in between. I also think people that really want a touchscreen blackberry need to give it a chance. I can't say that I love it right now, but when I changed from the 7520 to the 8830 I HATED the trackball and wanted my trackwheel back so badly. Now, I'm missing my trackball! It will take time to get used to, but I truely belive I'm going to be saying "What trackball" in a few days!
    11-21-08 08:57 PM
    I feel pretty lucky too. As i am typing I am still stuck at work and I received a call from an "Authorized Reseller" (found them through the Store Locator on the VZW site) and he said that they have one in and if I wanted it I can have it. The problem was me still being at work and they close at 7. Luckily, the store is right near the school my Mom teaches at and they said that she could pick it up and I can give my info over the phone to port my number.

He did as he promised this morning! He said he would call if one were available. Thank God for honest people! now I just need to get home.....
    11-21-08 09:07 PM
    I got to my local store at 7:30 for an 8:00 opening. I was #5 inline. I was pressed for time and needed to get out of there by 8:30 to bring my wife to her weekly chemo treatment. While waiting inline outside, I mentioned that I hoped they had enough staff on hand so I could get to the hospital in time. One of the people inline offered their spot #2 to me to make sure I could make my appointment. Good thing because they only had 2 sales people working and it took just about a 1/2 hour to get the phone and email setup. Thank you soooo much to the generous, considerate people inline this morning for letting me skip ahead. I made the hospital in time, and my wife got a good report from her oncologist. All in all, a very good day.

Cheers

PS. my store had 10 phones...all were spoken for by 8:08 am
    Last edited by anasacuta; 11-21-08 at 09:18 PM.
    11-21-08 09:16 PM
    Great job people. I should receive mine tomorrow and then I'll be back to post I got a storm post.
    11-21-08 09:32 PM
    Nice! Congrats on your new baby! lol
    11-21-08 09:53 PM
    I actually went to my local VZW B&M yesterday and started an app with the sales folk so that they had to hold a Storm for me today. Stopped in about 2:30 but couldn't complete the transaction because their entire system was down. Had to go back at 5 to pick it up.
    11-21-08 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD