I am actually quite happy with the phone, my one complaint, probably the least likely, is the earpiece. Phone quality sounds kind of digital, almost as if the speaker is rattling, hard to explain. I have never owned a BB before so maybe I don't have it set up right.

Any ideas or fixes for this, or anyone else getting this?
    11-21-08 06:15 PM
    Anyone? I really hope it is not defective.
    11-21-08 06:21 PM
    I'll plug in my ear piece and see what I get for ya

edit: I don't hear anything but the Who rocking out. sorry dude
    11-21-08 06:41 PM
    I guess I didn't make it clear. Not a separate ear piece, the actual one on the phone you put your ear up to. At the max volume setting it's pretty noticable, if I turn it down it sounds pretty good, but I do like my volume high as it helps hear in loud environments. If that is the case, that is fine, I just want to make sure it's not defective.
    11-21-08 06:45 PM
    Okay through the powers of my own deduction I have come to the conclusion that at max volume or at any of the high earpiece volume levels the phone does seem to get some distortion.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Just make a call and leave the earpiece volume at max or atleast about 75% and tell me if it seems to be straining the speaker a bit and reduce sound quality?
    11-21-08 07:04 PM
    Anyone? I am freaking out over here.
    11-21-08 07:19 PM
    I'm with you man, my friend and I both got the storm and both were talking about it today. I'm surprised no one notices these things or cares to post about it. This is one of the more important issues in my opinion. There is indeed a distorted type of amplified noise when on max volume and it makes the call quality ridiculous.
    11-21-08 07:26 PM
    Now that I think of it...I bet hardly anyone has actually made a call. Everyone is very occupied with the typing, browser and messaging. Hopefully this can be fixed with software, as it doesn't sound like a physical distoration, almost as if the frequency is wrong etc.
    11-21-08 07:31 PM
    My old i760 had a very tinny earpiece. Much worse than my previous phones. Callers sounded like they were talking into a tin can. This was most likely due to poor construction (not enough epoxy/glue around the earpiece speaker).

I'm receiving my Storm tomorrow. I really really really hope that the Storm's audio (earpiece) quality isn't like that.

Edit: I never put any of my phones at max earpiece volume. All of them distort at that volume. My i760 was so bad that it was tinny even at the first (lowest before mute) notch.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 11-21-08 at 07:44 PM.
    11-21-08 07:37 PM
    At half to 2/3 volume it's pretty good, but once you go up to near max it def starts to vibrate a bit.
    11-21-08 07:46 PM
    It isn't a deal breaker but it is annoying. Oh well, can't have it all. Outside of that is a wonderful device, and I am very picky.
    11-21-08 07:51 PM
    I did not buy the Storm, but I spent an hour with one yesterday and I just got back from a Verizon store where I spent another 1/2 hour with their display model. I found the same problem with the earpiece. It sounded like something was vibrating. I think a lot of people would refer to it as tinny sounding. What's funny is on most older phones with speakerphones, the earpiece sounds the best and the external speaker sounds worse. But on the Storm, the external speakers sound much better than the earpiece.
    11-21-08 07:58 PM
    I've been playing with my Storm since this morning, and I can confirm that the earpiece in my phone is mediocre.

It's very tinny on max and 2nd to max. I'm going to keep the volume around 75-80%, which for me is a good balance between loudness and clarity.

It's not great. My old Motorola e815 had a super built-in earpiece. But I'm moving up from a tinny i760 and the Storm's call quality is a step up.
    11-22-08 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD